PDA

View Full Version : Am I getting my kids too addicted to Disneyland?

kohl
09-12-2006, 03:21 PM
My 8 year old came home today and told me the kids are getting annoyed with him. He says if anyone talks about a ride from an amusement park, he says, Oh yeah, that is just like such and such ride in Disneyland. He said they tell him, why do you always have to talk about Disneyland.
I can't help it. THAT is all this family talks about! I know most people don't go as oftem as we do, but this is the place that keeps our family connected because life is just too crazy these days. We even look for hidden Mickey's on our walk to school in the morning. We dream about decorating each room in our house with a different Disney theme.
Are we really that crazy?

Andrew
09-12-2006, 03:32 PM
Nothing wrong with knowing quality when you see it. You just want to avoid sounding like you're bragging.

"That ride sounds like my favorite ride at Disneyland" is fine, "That ride sucks and it's not nearly as good as my favorite ride at Disneyland, which I visit every week because my family is rich and yours is poor, you dirty hippie" is not.

jcruise86
09-12-2006, 05:27 PM
I also annoyed my grade school friends by talking about Walt Disney World too much, but I could have been worse. I looked forward to our summer 1,200-mile trip to Florida (with one day at WDW--this was pre-EPCOT) more than Christmas and my birthday, and I secretly felt sorry for kids who had never been there. At least they never found out that I pitied them. Everyone who knows me seems to think I'm a pretty normal guy who just happens to be a Disney freak. Maybe that's how you should handle this: rent the 1932 film, "Freaks" and when kids tease your son he can chant, "One of us! One of us!" like in the movie. After my childhood I went on to work at Disneyland and visit every Magic Kingdom except Hong Kong's--so there is probably no hope for your son either. Sorry.
Also, tell him that he'd better marry someone who will at least tolerate his love of Disney parks.

disneyhound
09-12-2006, 05:57 PM
Nothing wrong with knowing quality when you see it. You just want to avoid sounding like you're bragging.

"That ride sounds like my favorite ride at Disneyland" is fine, "That ride sucks and it's not nearly as good as my favorite ride at Disneyland, which I visit every week because my family is rich and yours is poor, you dirty hippie" is not.

But what if they really are poor dirty hippies? Is not the truth the best thing you can teach your kids? ;)

jazzysmom
09-12-2006, 06:49 PM
Well, if you are getting your kids too addicted, so am I. It's a beautiful thing.:D

jcruise86
09-12-2006, 07:31 PM
But what if they really are poor dirty hippies? Is not the truth the best thing you can teach your kids? ;)

Always speaking the truth leads to well-deserved unpopularity.

hefferdude
09-12-2006, 09:59 PM
The first one's are free. ( kid-hood ). The rest of your Disney will cost you!
( grownup-hood ). :cool:

darph nader
09-12-2006, 11:42 PM
The first one's are free. ( kid-hood ). The rest of your Disney will cost you!
( grownup-hood ). :cool:

Word Up. (Is that the right phrase?):confused:

kohl
09-13-2006, 06:02 AM
My kids don't brag that we go alot. The whole school knows we go all the time. They go to a private school, so we are the ones who struggle with money to send them to school AND take our much loved Disneyland trips.
We live in Northern CA and my son does talk about getting a job there when he is older. He also says he wants to be an imagineer after he goes to college. My daughter says the same thing.
I just felt so bad for my son when he said everyone was sick of hearing about Disneyland from him. He just wanted to cry. I guess he is learning young that not everyone loves Disneyland like we do.
My daughter is 10 and all she can talk about is getting married in Disneyland.
I guess we better start putting away A LOT of money for that!

TTFN92
09-13-2006, 07:53 AM
My 6 y.o. DS talks about Disney ALL THE TIME! I like to talk about it too, but even I have to tell him not now every now and then. We went on a campout with church and he and this little girl talked about Dis around the campfire all night. It was sooo cute! :p He talks about going on his honeymoon to WDW and taking a Disney Cruise. He also talks about making rides and I hope he can someday. Wouldn't that be wonderful to do something that you absolutely love?! My older boys love DL too, but I don't think they talk about it at school. Infact, my 12 y.o. loves Winnie the Pooh and asked for one for his birthday. He sleeps with it every night, along with 20 other stuffed animals on his bed. He also plays football for his school and plays baseball in Little League. So, even jocks can love Disney! :D

The old man
09-13-2006, 08:02 AM
...you dirty hippie" is not.
Is that the same syntax as "you dirty rat"?