PDA

View Full Version : Monorail/Paradise Pier

rosie
09-10-2006, 10:49 PM
There haven't been any recent user reviews for PPH. I was wondering if anyone has stayed since the monorail closure and how has this affected your visit. Any updates regarding the hotel would be nice.

Also..how do I get the title of my post to be in bold black letters??

sbfd
09-11-2006, 07:16 AM
Hello all, I'm planning a stay at Paradise Pier, I understand the monorail will down for maintenance during that time. Are there other methods of transportation between PP and Disneyland ? ( shuttle, tram etc ?)

Darkbeer
09-11-2006, 07:37 AM
Disney does not offer any sort of shuttle or tram service to their hotels. Also, Disney is not part of the ART system.

You basically have about 6/10th of a mile walk from the lobby to the Main Entrance Plaza.

Disney recommends a path north by the Disneyland Hotel, and then east thru Downtown Disney, though you could save a few steps by walking thru the Grand Californian Hotel instead, though for some folks it is easy to get lost.

Your only other real option is a cab ride.

adriennek
09-11-2006, 07:56 AM
Disney recommends a path north by the Disneyland Hotel, and then east thru Downtown Disney, though you could save a few steps by walking thru the Grand Californian Hotel instead, though for some folks it is easy to get lost.

I second walking through the GCH. Once you enter the main entrance, it's quite easy - turn left down the hallway, turn right at the end of the hallway, and left at the end of that walkway. This will dump you into Downtown Disney.

Adrienne

hlbtimes2
09-11-2006, 09:01 AM
We stayed there last Oct. We usually walked thru the Grand. A few times we did take the monorail, but it really didnt save us that much time. But, I will say, the lack of transportation is one of the reasons we probably wont stay on site again. We can stay at the candy cane for a fraction of the price, and they will give us a ride!

disneyfn
09-11-2006, 11:43 AM
I remember seeing an early drawing of Cal Adventure and they planned a monorail stop in the park and then a station at the Paradise Pier hotel. Too bad neither was done.

Rhiannon8404
09-11-2006, 12:01 PM
We rarely used the monorail when we've stayed at the PPH. We nearly always cut through the GCA. Sometime we ride it out of the park, but almost never in.

rentayenta
09-11-2006, 12:07 PM
There haven't been any recent user reviews for PPH. I was wondering if anyone has stayed since the monorail closure and how has this affected your visit. Any updates regarding the hotel would be nice.

Also..how do I get the title of my post to be in bold black letters??

We love the PPH and rarely use the Monorail for entrance into Disneyland. We stroll through DTD and go in through the front gates.

sleepyjeff
09-11-2006, 12:19 PM
Funny how The Disneyland Hotel used to offer both shuttle service and Monorail service to the Park but now have no problem making their Oh so special guests walk the entire distance(even further for those at the PP).

Who has an easier time getting to the Main entrance of Disneyland? Someone staying at the Hyatt in Garden Grove(well over a mile away) or someone staying at an actual Disneyland Resort Hotel like the Paradise Pier?

One gets door to gate service....

the other gets a half mile long walk in an outdoor mall:(

SDMom
09-11-2006, 07:50 PM
Now I don't know what to do. I'm thinking about booking PP for Halloween to take advantage of the "buy 3 - stay 4" promo. However, if the walk is too long then it may not be worth it. Is the walk from DLH shorter? I'm so bummed the monorail is down so long.

rosie
09-11-2006, 08:31 PM
They really ought to have provided a shuttle with the monorail down. It seems like such poor planning. It really doesn't matter for my daughter and myself..she's twenty and I imagine that after all the walking in DL ten more minutes won't kill us..but still it would be nice to have an option.

sleepyjeff
09-11-2006, 08:31 PM
. Is the walk from DLH shorter? I'm so bummed the monorail is down so long.

Depends on which Tower you lodge at. The Bonita Tower is almost as far away as PP but the Sierra Tower is not too bad.

MadasaHatter
09-12-2006, 09:25 AM
Don't worry about the walk at all. It is less than a mile and the fun of staying on property is WORTH IT. The hotels are clean and then it is an over all Disney experience. Half the fun is the walk to the gates everyday! I prefer walking through the hotel grounds rather than crossing the street and passing McDonald's and Denny's. Plus we know that we Americans need to start walking more!!!! It's just plain heart smart!!!! I guess I'm not TOTALLY mad......

sleepyjeff
09-12-2006, 10:15 AM
Half the fun is the walk to the gates everyday!

I'll admit it's not too bad the first day. Although by the end of day 3, the thought of having to lug tired children(while being pretty tired ourselves too) over a half mile thru a not-so-magical mall does make one look to the left longingly and wonder why guests of the Howard Johnson(a Hotel that is actually closer to Disneyland than the PP) get a ride back to their room but we, being Guests of the DISNEYLAND RESORT, and paying over 3 times as much have to walk all the way:confused:

SDMom
09-12-2006, 10:49 AM
Thank you all for the advise. I know this is crazy, but, now I'm thinking about paying the additional $400 to stay at the GCH. My niece from Kansas is coming out for the trip and it would be really special for her. I just need a little nudge to press "send" on the reservation.

sleepyjeff
09-12-2006, 10:54 AM
I know this is crazy, but, now I'm thinking about paying the additional $400 to stay at the GCH........ I just need a little nudge to press "send" on the reservation.

That's where I am going to be on Halloween:)

As for the nudge. Hurry up before all the std. view(cheaper) rooms are gone.

Darkbeer
09-12-2006, 10:55 AM
But hotels like the Best Western Park Place Inn and the Park Vue Inn are closer to the park entrance than the Grand Californian (based on the distance from the front lobby). What do you actually do in the hotel room, for me it is sleep, shower, and some time on the computer and/or watch tv, and maybe some time in the Jacuzzi. I don't spend much time in the room, so why should I spend extra money on it. I rather spend the money on a nice dinner, going out and seeing a show, etc....

To me, the Disney hotels are not worth the extra money....