PDA

View Full Version : How much is the AP Hotel Discount?

Pat-n-Eil
09-10-2006, 03:52 PM
I tried searching through the threads, but apparently I am not entering the right search phrase.

My question is: How much is the AP discount for stays at the Disneyland Hotel, Grand Californian and/or Paradise Pier Hotel?

Considering that a Deluxe Annual Pass is $80 per pass more than our standard 3 Day Parkhopper.. I figure If I can save over $80 per person (or obviously if I go more than once a year) it would make sense in light of the future disapppearance of the Enhanced FastPass.

rentayenta
09-10-2006, 04:04 PM
Depending on how many people and how many nights, I highly doubt you could save that much......anymore. I have read about incredible AP rates but I don't think they exisit anymore. :(

Pat-n-Eil
09-10-2006, 04:10 PM
But is there standard minimum AP discount like 10% or 15% with occasional better deals offered?

MammaSilva
09-10-2006, 04:13 PM
if you even go 5 days out of a year the deluxe pass has paid for itself....you get 10 percent discounts on food purchases, the AP rates for the hotels are really hit/miss so I wouldn't factor that in at all when doing the plus/minus thing...but you and I live roughly the same distance to the park and I do know that having the pass gives me the illusion that I can go more often for "free" ...of course it's NOT free...but the pass has more than paid for itself in 'normal' costs of hoppers vs the trips I've made. The current pass has had 15 days on it so far with two more trips on it before it expires...granted I do have an advantage of having a place to stay most of my trips so I don't have the same expenses most people do, but three of the trips have involved hotel stays, 2 at the tropicana, 1 at the Desert Inn & Suites and the last one will be at the DLH in December this year before it expires. I will be renewing ;)

Pat-n-Eil
09-10-2006, 04:16 PM
if you even go 5 days out of a year the deluxe pass has paid for itself....you get 10 percent discounts on food purchases, the AP rates for the hotels are really hit/miss so I wouldn't factor that in at all when doing the plus/minus thing...but you and I live roughly the same distance to the park and I do know that having the pass gives me the illusion that I can go more often for "free" ...of course it's NOT free...but the pass has more than paid for itself in 'normal' costs of hoppers vs the trips I've made. The current pass has had 15 days on it so far with two more trips on it before it expires...granted I do have an advantage of having a place to stay most of my trips so I don't have the same expenses most people do, but three of the trips have involved hotel stays, 2 at the tropicana, 1 at the Desert Inn & Suites and the last one will be at the DLH in December this year before it expires. I will be renewing ;)

Hmm.. does one have to be an AP to look at the AP rates & deals?

MammaSilva
09-10-2006, 04:25 PM
I think you can go to the ticket site and it'll give you a break down of the general discounts for each pass. The deluxe gets 10 off food (over 10 dollars I do believe) at all the locations that offer a discount. The premium has more discounts ..15 off food, 10 off purchases with a 10 minmum, and has discounts in DTD as well.

Malcon10t
09-10-2006, 08:12 PM
Hmm.. does one have to be an AP to look at the AP rates & deals?
It looks like it. You get either 10 or 15% off of resort hotels (can't remember), plus 10% off of food at most places (ODV excepted). A PAP gets 15% off food and 10% off merchandise.

Pat-n-Eil
09-11-2006, 07:42 AM
So that looks to be about the same discount as AAA gives me. When I pull up a 3 night stay on Disney's Site and then I compare it to the exact same 3 night stay at the same place (GCH, DLH or PP) the AAA rate looks to be about a 10% discount.

I guess I'm just going to have to be dilligent in searching for the next 9 months and seeing if I can't come up with some miracle rate from somewhere because I'd love to stay at the GCH (where my Dad is staying) or at least the DLH so my daughter's fiance can really experience things right.. but the GCH is really where we'd love to be. Right now I have BWPPI locked in but if I know me - I will be in the GCH by the time we get down there.

Hey! How's this for an idea. I let everyone think we're going to the BWPPI but secretly I book the GCH and when we fly down to the airport, I let the cab driver in on it and so I tell him to take us to the BWPPI but he drives us to GCH instead! :) Imagine the look of surprise and delight on my family's faces.. Hmmm..

MammaSilva
09-11-2006, 07:46 AM
How many are flying and needing transport....if you're going to go 'surprise' in a big way, you can get a limo for a LOT less than most people expect! The driver will stand in the luggage area with a little sign with your last name....we did a suprise similar to the family when we did a holiday trip to Disney...the kids thought we were staying at our usual over on Harbor haunt...so when the van dropped them off at the hotel they were amazed, then I rented a limo to take us over to the El Cap for Toy Story 2 VIP seating...it rocked!

Pat-n-Eil
09-11-2006, 07:54 AM
How many are flying and needing transport....if you're going to go 'surprise' in a big way, you can get a limo for a LOT less than most people expect! The driver will stand in the luggage area with a little sign with your last name....we did a suprise similar to the family when we did a holiday trip to Disney...the kids thought we were staying at our usual over on Harbor haunt...so when the van dropped them off at the hotel they were amazed, then I rented a limo to take us over to the El Cap for Toy Story 2 VIP seating...it rocked!

Well, MammaSilva, my immediate party will be 5 people. I figured a Taxi Van for about $30 to $35 would be the best option for us. I didn't care for the Super Shuttle - and I don't know much about Disney Resort Transportation.

Any idea how much a limo is?

I just called my Dad and let him know, so later this week when his lady comes back from a trip she is on, we're going to coordinate so that we all have rooms. I'd like to be in a room overlooking the GRR like I was in before and if we can get 3 rooms fairly close, that would be superb.

stan4d_steph
09-11-2006, 08:40 AM
The standard AP discount is 10% off of rack rate. This is the same discount as you get with AAA.

Pammer
09-11-2006, 11:41 AM
During the slow times of the year (January, September, November), they will offer a special AP Nights rate...I think the last time I saw this advertised was this past January. We stayed at the Disneyland Hotel for $109 (Saturday) and $89/night (Sunday and Monday) January 28-31, but I think the success of the 50th anniversary has kept the discounts away since then!

BTW, I saw the rate for January come out in November...I just kept watching the AP page on their website, and also kept checking MouseSavers.

ShirleyFilms
09-11-2006, 01:19 PM
I called to get pricing for the Paradise Pier for November. With the 10% AP discount, the room was still going to be aroun 195$ a night (before taxes and fees). A great price! But...

We have stayed there before, but I find that all we do is SLEEP in the rooms, so we opted to stay at the Del Sol Inn which is directly across the street from Disneylands main entrance.... and costs 100$ less per night. We have stayed at the Maingate Ramada as well (same location - walking distance). Both are cheapy little motels.... but I personally would rather spend those few extra hundred dollars on merchandise inside the park. And they are SO CLOSE to the park... its great to walk outside in the morning... and be one minute away from the entrance.

My 2 cents.

Pammer
09-11-2006, 01:34 PM
Basically I agree with ShirleyFilms...we have stayed at the Del Sol Inn about a dozen times over the past 4 years. We've never had a truly bad experience there, and the price is fine for the amount of time we spend at the motel! It's an inexpensive, small motel, and you definitely get what you pay for! However, if I could afford it, I would stay at a Disney hotel every visit, but we just can't justify the cost. This last January trip was my hubby's birthday and the cost was just perfect for that special occasion!