PDA

View Full Version : We're headed to Disneyland today (Sept 10, 2006)

DadandFamily
09-10-2006, 06:46 AM
Does anybody want something while we are there?

rentayenta
09-10-2006, 06:48 AM
Yes, I'd like the crystal firefighter Mickey Mouse. :D ;)

Have fun! :)

disneyhound
09-10-2006, 07:00 AM
Have a great time! I'd love a churro please, and a dole whip, and...

Crazy4DL
09-10-2006, 07:31 AM
Bring me some Rocky Road Candy!! :D :D

;)

Have a wonderful time! Wave to the castle. :)

RStar
09-10-2006, 07:36 AM
Yes!

I'd like you to have a good time!

;)

MammaSilva
09-10-2006, 09:03 AM
What he said!

DadandFamily
09-10-2006, 07:18 PM
We're back! What a trip. The day started out cold and overcast near the coast. As we neared Disneyland, the sky was blue and the air was sweet smelling. We spend an hour at McDonalds having breakfast and letting the kids play. We then headed to Disneyland.

There was light traffic in the garage, so we knew that there would not be many people at the park. Best of all, the cone guys block our way down one parking lane and opened a new parking lane. Instead of parking and walking a long way, we parked right near the elevators!

We got on the tram quickly, passed right through inspection without the usual open all your bags routine. Without the summer crowd, inspection was more relaxed. We went into California Adventure. We were too late for Playhouse Disney so we went into the Animation Building to hangout in the courtyard for about an hour. As my kids danced to the music and watch the trailers, wave after wave of Disney characters came into the courtyard. Goofy, Sully, Mickey Mouse, Snow White, etc. Few people were in the courtyard so these characters kept having to walk up to people to interact instead of the mob they are usually met with. (Tip: The Animation Building courtyard is the best place to meet Disney characters)

From the Animation Building we headed to bugs land. As we passed Playhouse Disney, the doors were open and we walked right in! We made sure we got great seats (close enough to the stage to be under the streamers that come down at the beginning of the show).

At Bugs Land, all the plants and flowers seem to be in bloom. There was a nice smell of honey in the air mixed with other enjoyable fragrances from the flowers. What struck me is how clean the park was. Without the summer throngs, the staff got ahead of the game and the place was looking fine.

A few trips around Heimlich's Chew Chew Train (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/parks/attractions/detail?name=HeimlichsChewChewTrainAttractionPage&bhcp=1) (no line) and attendance at It's Tough to Be A Bug, then we headed to get some free tortillas at Mission Tortilla Factory to have with lunch near the Pacific Warf.

From there, we headed to Disneyland where, after a leisurely stroll, we hung out at Innoventions. My three year old loves the computers and loves the upstairs electronic hop scotch game. We also saw Honda's ASIMO Theater (http://asimo.honda.com/disneyland.asp). After both kids played at the Tomorrowland Waterball, the kids appeared tired and we came home. The six hours we spent at the parks passed quickly.

june1st1997
09-10-2006, 07:34 PM
We were there today too... Wasn't it the perfect Disneyland day. Not too warm. Breezy... Not crowded. In fact we got on Pirates in 15 minutes.

It sounds like you had just as wonderful a day as we did. Isn't that the best!

DadandFamily
09-10-2006, 07:46 PM
Today was one of the best days. I can't wait until next Sunday when we plan to go again.

Darkbeer
09-10-2006, 07:51 PM
Today was one of the best days. I can't wait until next Sunday when we plan to go again.

Note, next Sunday Disneyland is hosting the Half-Marathon, and traffic will be bad in the area until around 10 AM. Also, Disneyland will not open until 10 AM, and more than likely DCA will hard open at 10 AM, instead of allowing folks in at 9:30 to wait in the Sunshine Plaza area.

Many folks are coming to help root and support friends and family Sunday morning, and I presume many will go to the park after the event is over.

On the other hand, many folks will be scared away due to the traffic problems, so it might turn into light crowds in the evening, as the runners have to be in the area signing in at 4:30 AM!

june1st1997
09-10-2006, 07:54 PM
You are going again next weekend. Awesome!

Ya know, I am trying to plan a local MP moms/dads trip to Disneyland... I'm thinking Sunday October 8 or 15. If you are able... you guys should join us. I think it'll be a blast!:)

Darkbeer
09-10-2006, 08:03 PM
You are going again next weekend. Awesome!

Ya know, I am trying to plan a local MP moms/dads trip to Disneyland... I'm thinking Sunday October 8 or 15. If you are able... you guys should join us. I think it'll be a blast!:)

Another heads up....

Sunday, October 8th is the Chiildren's Hospital fundraiser that is held prior to park opening. Disneyland won't open until 10 AM, and MANY of the CHOC walk folks head to the parks after the event.

It is also a 3 day weekend, so many holiday folks are there.

And it is also part of the Gay Day weekend, most of the Gay Day participants will be at DCA on Sunday.

October 15th will be busier as normal, as the State of Utah has a long weekend for school kids due to a Teacher Conference. This has brought LARGE crowds to the park in the past.

h_lehmann
09-10-2006, 08:30 PM
I was there also today with my younger son (12 yrs old). I can't remember a Sunday when the crowds were lighter. We got there just after opening; and headed straight for Pirates since niether of us had been on it since its reopening back in July. After that we had a nice breakfast at the River Belle Terrace (for me, it's the Mark Twain with bacon only, and an orange juice, as always.)
We spent the day finding the answers to the remaining Virtual Magic Kingdom cards that we had not already completed (though towards the end of the day we kind of gave up since he doesn't really play the online game too much anymore.)
Spent some time at DCA... The standby line at Soarin' only took about 10 minutes, and my son went on Grizzly Rapids six times in a row (I stopped after 2), since the line was so short.
And what's up with Toontown? The Jolly Trolly looked like it was ready to be mothballed; no wind-up key on the roof and all the controls welded shut. The Goofy water fountain is still out of order, and even the TNT detonator has its handle removed and the hole plugged up. Will Toontown, like the Rocket Rods, be one of those things that Disney Management will pretend never even happened?
We left at about 6:30PM, since tomorrow's a school/work day, the first in recent memory that we've left the park before sun down.

All-in-all it was a bittersweet day. It was nice to be back in the park for the first time since early June, the weather was perfect and the crowds were pleasantly light. On the other hand, it's sinking in that my sons have grown too quickly, and all those days that we've spent together at the park will soon come to a close as they get older and move out into the world. They both still love Disneyland, and I think they appreciate how lucky they are to be able to live so close to it, but that magic delight of discovery that they had when they were young is gone. There's nothing new left there for them to explore with voices shrieking & eyes wide.

But looking on the bright side, someday I'll be a grandfather and I'll get to start all over again.:p

june1st1997
09-10-2006, 08:53 PM
You know everything... You're like the Wizard ( of Oz)...

Thanks for the heads up... I'll find another date