PDA

View Full Version : Yeah, yeah - we're probably insane, but... (Staying at GCH)

disneychick
09-06-2006, 01:05 PM
we made an impulsive decision last night and opted to upgrade our BWPPI package to the GCH instead (through Costco Travel..getting the freebie character breakfast, gift card, etc.) :D I've read as many reviews as I can find, and I'm prepared for the fact that it's likely an overpriced property if you look at it objectively - BUT, as DH pointed out, it took us over 15 years to amass enough AirMiles for flights for the 3 of us, and so this is likely our best chance to stay at such a pricey hotel given that we aren't paying for airfare. We've always wanted to do an onsite at some point, so I'm pretty excited that we'll be at the Grand in November! We'll be there for 7 nights. :)

I just have a couple of questions, though. I've heard about "storytime" in the lobby near the fire - but I've also seen this mentioned as a concierge perk (which we won't have) also. Is it concierge only, or are they two different storytime events? Also, does anyone know when the Christmas tree and other decorations go up? We'll be arriving on November 11, staying until the 18th. Is it true there is an EE to Build-a-Bear at some point? Also, we've booked standard view, which is totally fine - I don't want to pay for the theme park view as at the end of the day whatever is out our window is fine. However, is there some way to let them know that you would be interested in a theme park view if it was somehow available? I don't know if it's a request you make on your reservation, or ask about at check-in, or ???

Lastly - is there a charge for something simple to be waiting in the room for a little guy, like balloons and a Mickey picture? We don't need a full basket or anything - but a little something for our son to find at arrival would be really exciting for him.

Thanks (again!!) for your help!

infinite
09-06-2006, 01:22 PM
There is story time in the lobby by the hearth, I think at about 7:00, and again at 7:30. There is also a story time in the concierge lounge at about 8:00. Those times could be a little off, but they will give you a little newsletter when you get there with the exact times.

The Build-a-Bear is a lot of fun, you meet early at build a bear and get the store all to yourselves (and anyone else who chose to participate). You are required to make a minimum purchase of $10 or $20.

They have left Balloons and autographed photos for us on some nights, but not every night (the most I think was twice during a one week visit), it was not requested, so I am not sure how you would request it.

WIAT! I know one time they had written letters to the characters, you put the letters in the big mailbox (plastic/mobile), and later that day there was a letter, autographed photo and balloons form the characters they wrote to (Pluto and Mickey). We did this it the lounge, but I have seen the big mailbox in the lobby as well, so you might ask about writing to the charters! As far as the other times go, I think it was just luck, someone there decided it would be nice to leave something for the boys and they did .

I mean Mickey, Mickey decided it would be nice to leave something and he did! ;)

kikid
09-06-2006, 01:23 PM
:) Congratulations on making your decision....you won't regret a minute of your stay.
I have stayed at the Grand several times and absolutely love everything about the hotel. Storytime by the fire is for "everyone", and is actually quite engaging even for us older kids!
Have fun!

Cat H
09-06-2006, 01:29 PM
In regards to requesting a view room when you have not booked a view room-a couple of years ago I had booked a city/standard view. When I checked in I asked if I could have a view room and was informed it would cost extra. I asked if there was a room that did not have a city view but was the same price as the city view room and was given a room with a view of a very pretty courtyard for the same city view price. However, if you can get a view room I have had that view twice (paid extra of course) and thought the extra price was worth it because I spend a great deal of time in the room.

kisroo
09-06-2006, 01:31 PM
They have two different story-times. One is down by the fire. I'm not sure if they have it at a regular time each day/eve but I did see the story teller there several times with kids. We just happened to be sitting there and a cast member dressed like a ranger came over to interact and tell a story. When he did that, other children (and parents) meandered over. It was cute.

The concierge lounge also has a milk and cookies story-time available only to concierge guests. It's really cute. Kids are encouraged to either wear pjs (decent ones obviously) and/or bring a pillow and blanket. I can't remember if they had the pillows and blankets available there as well. Anyway, the kiddos snuggle in for milk, cookies and a story. During the holiday times (after Thanksgiving), the carolers also came about that time and sang some carols.

Not sure when the tree goes up.

There is EE to Build a Bear AND Sephora (if you're so inclined ;) ). You have to arrange this beforehand with a cast member.

We only request standard view and on checking in have asked for a courtyard view (which is considered standard). It's peaceful and fun to see the Monorail go by. If you are interested in an upgrade to a park or Downtown Disney view, you typically ask at check-in. They will most likely charge you for it though. ;)

When we've stayed concierge, we've received a "welcome" package that included signed pictures, a letter and such from Mickey and the Gang. Not sure if you could request that or not, but it doesn't hurt to call them and ask. :)

Yay, you for the upgrade. The Grand is truly that. Grand. Have a fantastic time!!

~kisroo:)

leota's necklace
09-08-2006, 10:00 AM
I had a delightful stay at the Grand for my birthday a few years ago. All you need to do is mention that you would like a little something, a balloon and a photo perhaps, and the hotel CMs will make it so. I've had the same experience at the Pier and the DLH as well.

DangerMouse
09-08-2006, 10:45 AM
One of my favorite perks of staying at the Grand is the early morning, unadvertised Condor Flats tour. If you show up at the private GCH entrance to DCA just about 10 minutes before 9 am (if opening time is 10), and mention the Condor Flats tour to the CM at the gate, they will arrange for you and your party to be the first guests in the park with a mini-tour of the Condor Flats area, you will also be the first to ride Soarin, prior to the general public who is allowed in at 9:30 am. You are guaranteed front row center for this flight. Don't ask the front desk people at the Grand, they won't know anything about it. The person to ask is the CM at the entrance to DCA.

Have a magical stay! :D

pisces
09-10-2006, 01:17 PM
They gave me a free upgrade, to a park view room, on the 6th floor!....during the most busiest time of the year, last December.

However, it was a handicapped room...but still.

The only difference was the grab bars in the bathtub. If you don't mind that, then ask for a "handicapped park view" room. They usually have a few handicapped rooms on reserve, and you don't even have to be handicapped. When I was at the front desk, I told them I wasn't handicapped......they said it didn't matter, that they had the room available anyway, and it was mine, as a free upgrade for no extra charge.

I didn't arrange this in advance. I simply found out about this all once I got there to check-in.

As for the Christmas Tree: Are you talking about the main Christmas Tree in the Park, or the specific GCH Tree in their lobby?

I think the Park tree is going up a bit early this year, and should be fully on display on Nov. 11.

I don't know if actual Hotel decorations are fully up right at that time, or not.

And, because of the fire, last year, at GCH....I don't even know if there will be a GCH Tree at all.

I hope there is, though.

rentayenta
09-10-2006, 02:42 PM
There is EE to Build a Bear AND Sephora (if you're so inclined ;) ). You have to arrange this beforehand with a cast member.

Can anyone elaborate on this? Is it ony for GCH guests or all DLR hotel guests?

sierranevada
09-10-2006, 02:48 PM
You are not insane and you will really enjoy the GCH! Here is some additional info - I highly recommend doing the "Grand Quest":
They have a "Grand Quest" everyday from 4 - 5 pm (it will be listed on the info sheet they put in your room with turn down). The Grand Quest is a scavenger hunt in the hotel. Once you have completed it, you turn in your sheet to guest services and you get a coupon for a free cookie. The first family that completes the quest, is chosen as the "Grand Family of the Day". We just did it in December and as the Grand Family you get a big balloon bouquet, a picture with the resort CMs, we got a free photo with Santa (don't know if they will substitute something else during nonholiday season) but the best part was you get the key to the Craftsman Lounge (conceirge) for that evening to enjoy the snacks and watch the Fireworks!

They also switch between early entry into Lego Store to build something and early entry into Build A Bear to build a stuffed animal.

They offer on the weekends during busy times, an E-ride experience especially for teens (offering times are always subject to change). There was an added fee (use to be $15 per person), but this basically was a guided "tour" for teens with no-waits to ride 5 E-ticket attractions at both Disneyland and California Adventure. (Tower of Terror, California Screamin', Splash Mountain, Indiana Jones Adventure and Big Thunder Mountain I believe were the featured attractions).

The Grand is a great hotel. BTW, if you are going to need a small fridge for the room, request it now. The fridge that is already in the room is a mini-bar and all the items are on sensors so if you move anything, it goes on your bill!

They also have an "Arts & Crafts" tour. It is free, lasts about 60-90 minutes, and is a guided tour of the hotel, pointing out all the handmade design features and artifacts at the hotel, as well as giving a behind the scenes look at the planning and building of Disney's Grand Californian Hotel. If you are into the Arts and Crafts movement at all, you will love this tour. They usually have one tour per day, and you can get more information at the desk.

Each night, they will put a newsletter in your room with info regarding the parks and perks available only to guests of the Grand.

Enjoy!

wwithers
09-11-2006, 03:15 PM
Disneychick, call the front desk and ask them to add a request for a room upgrade, if possible. Also, ask the CM to add that you would like to request an autographed photo for your son to be in the room when you get there.

If they have upgrades available, they will first go to reservations that have already requested them. We have been upgraded each time we stayed. The last visit, mi mouse and I had a fabulous view of DCA.

Renta, except for the spa and Pinocchio's workshop, I believe that all benefits available to GCH guests are exclusive (they also get priority at Pinocchio's). Interestingly, PPH and DLH guests can use all of the amenities of either hotel. On the other hand, ee is available to all DLR guests, so who know.

momtoo2
09-11-2006, 04:21 PM
We have made our travel arrangements thru AAA and I would like to request a fridge separate from the one in the room and for the mini bar/fridge in the room to be locked while we are there. Can I just call Disney direct or do I have to go thru our agent.
Needless to say our agent has no clue when it comes to Disney. I requested a courtyard view instead of city view on standard and she said I could not do that....oy.
I cannot even imagine asking for an upgrade at no cost if one is available...I am sure she would look at me like I was crazy.
So long story short can I call Disney and skip the AAA agent. The only reason we used AAA was for the enhanced fastpass.

sierranevada
09-11-2006, 04:23 PM
We have made our travel arrangements thru AAA and I would like to request a fridge separate from the one in the room and for the mini bar/fridge in the room to be locked while we are there. Can I just call Disney direct or do I have to go thru our agent.
Needless to say our agent has no clue when it comes to Disney. I requested a courtyard view instead of city view on standard and she said I could not do that....oy.
I cannot even imagine asking for an upgrade at no cost if one is available...I am sure she would look at me like I was crazy.
So long story short can I call Disney and skip the AAA agent. The only reason we used AAA was for the enhanced fastpass.

Absolutely call the hotel directly - that way you can be sure your requests are actually entered into the reservation.

RStar
09-11-2006, 04:30 PM
I only live 2 miles from the DLR, and I've still wanted to do this! So no, you're not nuts (at least not for doing this;) ).

I hope you have a GRAND time!:D

There are some good ideas here. I never knew about the tour or early entry to Build A Bear!

pisces
09-11-2006, 06:00 PM

Me neither. I doubt they pull reservations in advance and look at who's requested what and set aside this and that.

Whatever you actually give them bona fide payment for.......that is set aside.

But requests are just that....they are requests based upon availability AT check-in.

These decisions are made once you go to check-in on the day of arrival.

It's what they have once you are right there at the front desk.

If they have a glut of handicapped rooms facing DCA.....they might be free to unload one on you free of charge......but only at the time of check-in.

adriennek
09-11-2006, 06:07 PM

Ugh. That's an issue with your agent and not all AAA agents. I'm defensive - my agent is a AAA agent and she rocks. Hard.

Adrienne

wwithers
09-11-2006, 08:43 PM
Me neither. I doubt they pull reservations in advance and look at who's requested what and set aside this and that.

Whatever you actually give them bona fide payment for.......that is set aside.

But requests are just that....they are requests based upon availability AT check-in.

These decisions are made once you go to check-in on the day of arrival.

It's what they have once you are right there at the front desk.

If they have a glut of handicapped rooms facing DCA.....they might be free to unload one on you free of charge......but only at the time of check-in.

This is untrue. In March at check in, they pulled up my ressie and said, "we were able to honor your upgrade request." Clearly it was a decision that had been made in advance.

They do not assign the rooms when you arrive, they are assigned in advance (usually a day or 2). This used to be done by hand, but is now (obviously) done by computer. The computers cross reference special requests and such so that an upgrade is assigned, per request, prior to actual check in. If you ask when you are actually checking in, you get what may, or may not, be left over. (Not to mention you are at the mercy of the whims of the front desk person)

~Whitney (Who worked for a hotel company for longer than I care to admit)

disneychick
09-11-2006, 08:49 PM
Thanks for all the great info and advice everyone - I'm so excited now I can hardly stand it!! :D :D :D

I'm going to put my requests on the reservation and I'll let you all know how it works out.

pisces
09-11-2006, 09:01 PM
This is untrue. In March at check in, they pulled up my ressie and said, "we were able to honor your upgrade request." Clearly it was a decision that had been made in advance.

They do not assign the rooms when you arrive, they are assigned in advance (usually a day or 2). This used to be done by hand, but is now (obviously) done by computer. The computers cross reference special requests and such so that an upgrade is assigned, per request, prior to actual check in. If you ask when you are actually checking in, you get what may, or may not, be left over. (Not to mention you are at the mercy of the whims of the front desk person)

~Whitney (Who worked for a hotel company for longer than I care to admit)

If that's the case, then why bother paying for a theme park room?

Everybody would just reserve a standard room, and put theme park as a request, and then get an upgrade at no extra charge.

It doesn't happen like that.

I never never never mentioned upgrade on my reservation last year. Never never never, did I say "upgrade" as a request. But they had a handicapped (view) room available at the time of my check-in, and gave it to me.

Still, I suppose it can't hurt to call and make requests in advance.

But I wouldn't get my expectations up too much. These are only "requests"---the hotel is not obligated to absolutely fulfill.

I say, PAY for the exact room you want----and then you have some level of guarantee.

A request is just a request. They aren't locked into honoring it.

Just so you are aware, and won't be disappointed!

In any case, I'm rooting for you, and hope they do in fact upgrade you!

wwithers
09-11-2006, 09:50 PM
If that's the case, then why bother paying for a theme park room?

Everybody would just reserve a standard room, and put theme park as a request, and then get an upgrade at no extra charge.

It doesn't happen like that.

Because you only get an upgrade if one is available. I would say that if you have your heart set on a particular type of room, by all means, you should reserve that particular type of room.

I never never never mentioned upgrade on my reservation last year. Never never never, did I say "upgrade" as a request. But they had a handicapped (view) room available at the time of my check-in, and gave it to me.

Sometimes they "upgrade" you for other reasons...such as room size, number of beds, etc.

Still, I suppose it can't hurt to call and make requests in advance.

But I wouldn't get my expectations up too much. These are only "requests"---the hotel is not obligated to absolutely fulfill.

If you want to be on the short list, you should absolutely request an upgrade in advance. The hotel is not "obligated" to fulfill any reservation request...including the room you actually pay for. If you read the fine print, they actually only promise you a room, and as some of us know, that room may end up being at another hotel.

In any case, I'm rooting for you, and hope they do in fact upgrade you!

Me too. :)

momtoo2
09-12-2006, 08:25 AM
Adrienne posted
"Ugh. That's an issue with your agent and not all AAA agents. I'm defensive - my agent is a AAA agent and she rocks. Hard."

Oh I didn't mean to make you defensive as I know there are great agents out there and mine for this particular trip is very nice she just is not very knowledgable about Disneyland or the GCH. I had a great AAA agent for our WDW trip last year (she was in No. Carolina and not Ca...but I digress). I am sure there are plenty out there who are great. I did not intend to malign all AAA agents I was just stating the facts as they have pertained to my particular reservation. I don't expect her to be an expert as I am sure she is not as obsessed with Disney trips as I am.. :)

When it comes to making special requests...again I have attempted to make these with my agent, and have done so again this am and alas was told they do not take them. I know with our WDW trip all request had to come thru the agent so I assumed that would be true for the Disneyland trip also (this is our first DL trip with AAA) so if this is not true for DL then I will try the Hotel.

I have done Disney trips every year at least once, sometimes twice and have made requests and have never had any honored so maybe it just doesn't matter if I make them :)

Ace
10-11-2006, 07:23 PM
Congrats! Have a wonderful time!