PDA

View Full Version : 51 Pennies?

Pages : [1] 2

dznyphreak
09-01-2006, 08:13 PM
I was wondering whether or not the Magical Milestones penny squishing machines are still all there. I may go tomorrow night to get them if they are. I'd like to know beforehand so I can prepare. That's a heck of a lot of quarters to lug around! Do they still have the books, too???

ThemeParkAddictOfOC
09-01-2006, 10:45 PM
I was wondering whether or not the Magical Milestones penny squishing machines are still all there. I may go tomorrow night to get them if they are. I'd like to know beforehand so I can prepare. That's a heck of a lot of quarters to lug around! Do they still have the books, too???
I got the book at The Star Trader in July.

backsthepack
09-02-2006, 04:41 AM
We went earlier in August and the pennies and books were still there (In fact, the penny arcade has a ton of the milestone ones).

Whittibo
09-02-2006, 08:11 AM
Are the milestone pennies different from just regular ones?

If there are 51 pennies at a cost of .51c each, that's only $26.01. My husband never let us do it because it was "too expensive". BAH HUMBUG!

Drince88
09-02-2006, 08:18 AM
Are the milestone pennies different from just regular ones?

If there are 51 pennies at a cost of .51c each, that's only $26.01. My husband never let us do it because it was "too expensive". BAH HUMBUG!
I noticed some of the 'special' ones at DL imprinted on the back as well as the front. I don't know if that was one of the 'trademarks' of the milestone pennies or not, though (but it's cool!) :cool:

dznyphreak
09-02-2006, 11:47 AM
The Milestone pennies mark each of the 50 years and the biggest thing that happened that year in Disney/land history. There are 51 because it includes 2005. Also, does anyone know why there are slots in the book for quarters??? Are there special quarter squishers???

Bytebear
09-02-2006, 11:55 AM
Is there a site with photos of the pennies? I would like to see them.

DianeM
09-02-2006, 12:00 PM
As far as I know, the back printing is only for the milestone pennies. None of the pennies I've collected in the past had two sided markings. for that matter - no penny I've ever collected had two sides, although the technology for doing so is fairly simple and I'm sure it has been done before.

I noticed some of the 'special' ones at DL imprinted on the back as well as the front. I don't know if that was one of the 'trademarks' of the milestone pennies or not, though (but it's cool!) :cool:

mistofviolets
09-02-2006, 05:32 PM
The Milestone pennies mark each of the 50 years and the biggest thing that happened that year in Disney/land history. There are 51 because it includes 2005. Also, does anyone know why there are slots in the book for quarters??? Are there special quarter squishers???

There are quarter and nickel squishers, I believe we saw them at the penny arcade.

My dd likes to make "squished pennies" but we aren't major collectors, yet. She wouldn't squish any quarters because they weren't pennies, LOL.

SeansMom
09-02-2006, 08:41 PM
A little off topic, but do serious penny squishers use old pennies or new? We had some trouble with the quality, which my ever so picky son didn't care for.

tinksmommy
09-02-2006, 09:08 PM
Pretty sure its older ones. There is a site called parkpennies dot com that had lots of great info when I went searching before my trip last year.

DianeM
09-02-2006, 09:30 PM
Before 1982, pennies were made of harder metals and they press better. 1982 and later pennies tend to not elongate as much, and the designs aren't always as legible. It's pretty simple to clean off old pennies. I just soak them a few hours in a bit of ordinary catsup and then rinse them in water. You can rub them with baking soda to polish them up a bit, but I've found that the pressing itself gives them a nice shine. For little kids - just ask at the nearest shop and they'll usually give you a nice, shiny new penny. Don't forget to fill the extra penny space in the book with a penny showing the pressed design on the back. That's really unusual in pressed penny machines.

A little off topic, but do serious penny squishers use old pennies or new? We had some trouble with the quality, which my ever so picky son didn't care for.

DianeM
09-02-2006, 09:38 PM
They have them at the arcade and at a couple of other locations in the park. They usually have a trio of "Nightmare before Christmas" quarters, and there is a "princess" set in the castle. Check parkpennies.com for a current list of all of the press machine locations. You can get books that hold just quarters from pennycollector.com. The books sold at DL generally hold just 6 quarters each. Presssed nickels take up the same space as a quarter, so they don't fit in the penny slots.

There are quarter and nickel squishers, I believe we saw them at the penny arcade.

My dd likes to make "squished pennies" but we aren't major collectors, yet. She wouldn't squish any quarters because they weren't pennies, LOL.

Whittibo
09-03-2006, 06:23 AM
Anyone know if the 51 pennies will still be there past the 50th celebration? Now that I am all excited about getting all 51, I bet they'll be gone. :(

dznyphreak
09-03-2006, 10:49 AM
Okay, so I went last night with a heavy pocket all ready to squish some pennies and leave with sore feet. I was disappointed (and, honestly, a little upset) to find that, although all the machines are still there (minus Autopia Winner's Circle as it is being moved), the books were nowhere to be found!!! I checked the Emporium, Greetings, Hatmosphere, the Star Tours shop, World of Disney, and the gift shop at the Disneyland Hotel. No books! Since I didn't feel like carrying around 51 loose squished pennies, I opted not to attempt to collect them.

ThemeParkAddictOfOC
09-03-2006, 10:29 PM
Do you think that they went to the Character Warehouse?

cstephens
09-03-2006, 10:48 PM
We dropped by the Fullerton store today, and they weren't there.

I can understand being disappointed that they're gone, but they have been out for more than a year now.

dznyphreak
09-04-2006, 10:17 AM
I know, I know. My sister got on my case about procrastinating too. It just doesn't make sense to me that the books would leave before the machines, you know?

DianeM
09-04-2006, 11:34 AM
When I visited last fall, we picked up a book. We were also told that the 50th would last until November of 2006. I wanted to fill another book for my nephew, but it doesn't look as is we'll have the chance. I'm a bit bummed about that. If we'd known, we might have decided to go in the spring as we originally planned. Or maybe not, but it would have been nice to have good information on which to make our decisions.

I can understand being disappointed that they're gone, but they have been out for more than a year now.

evrythngwmn
09-04-2006, 11:58 AM
Anyone know if the 51 pennies will still be there past the 50th celebration? Now that I am all excited about getting all 51, I bet they'll be gone. :(

I've heard from a pretty reliable source that they'll be taken out along with all the other 50th stuff.

Mermaid
09-04-2006, 03:40 PM
I think I LOST my book filled with about 35 of the pennies!!! Aaack. This thread made me realize I haven't seen it since my last trip and I moved since then. I was hoping to get the rest of the pennies on my trip in two weeks. Ugg.. time to go look.

Mermaid
09-04-2006, 07:37 PM
Okay! I found it. Sooo that brings me to a side note- I am missing the following years:
1959, 64, 65, 73, 81, 83, 86, 88, 93, 2001, 02 and 04. Is there a place where I can find out where the machines are that I am missing? Thanks!

evrythngwmn
09-04-2006, 07:39 PM
Okay! I found it. Sooo that brings me to a side note- I am missing the following years:
1959, 64, 65, 73, 81, 83, 86, 88, 93, 2001, 02 and 04. Is there a place where I can find out where the machines are that I am missing? Thanks!

I'm going back to work tomorrow. I'll try and find out for you.

Mermaid
09-04-2006, 07:52 PM
Thanks Jo!! I actually found www.parkpennies.com. Google is my friend!! Now two of the machines I need are the Opera house exit and the Autopia Winner's Circle. With recent construction, are these machines still there? If not, anyone know where they have moved to?

cstephens
09-04-2006, 07:54 PM

Here's a comprehensive list. (http://parkpennies.com/50th.htm)

The first part of the list is sorted by year. The second part is sorted by machine location. The only problem you'd run into is if the machine is unavailable or broken.

ETA: Ooooo, we posted at the same time. You can stop into City Hall to ask and see if they know. They might, they might not.