PDA

View Full Version : opinions-- Staying at the Disneyland Hotel

Pages : [1] 2

notabrady
09-01-2006, 10:17 AM
We're thinking of spending a weekend at the Disneyland Hotel sometime in November (it's a kind of a long story, but in a nutshell, I've never stayed there and am extremely curious about the place).

I'm seeking opinions, comments, experiences for those who stayed at the DH!

Thanks in advance...

stan4d_steph
09-01-2006, 10:20 AM
Check out the reviews at the MousePlanet guide page for the Disneyland Hotel (http://www.mouseplanet.com/guide.php?pg=ALA000). You can also do a search of this forum for many reviews.

potzbie
09-01-2006, 10:29 AM
I agree with stad4d_steph.
Too, too many threads.
Please don't start thread #1000 on the same subject.

First, do your homework.
Check out the already-well-established-and-well-edited MousePlanet reviews.

ONLY AFTER YOU'VE DONE THAT ...

• Click on "SEARCH THIS THREAD" button.
• Type in a key word.
• Off you go.

You will have a few thousand postings to read.
Should take you about 5 years to scroll through them.
But it's all there!

kranders
09-01-2006, 10:29 AM
I love it and think that it enhances the Disney experience. To me if feels like you're like on a cruise, once I'm on site I never have to leave Disney and the only time I'm back at the car is when it's time to leave. Once I stepped up to the Grand Californian, however, it is now my new Disney standard!

Whittibo
09-01-2006, 11:18 AM
My family stayed there a few years ago, it was small, expensive, and DIRTY! I have pictures of dirty tables and floors, and it wasn't just us making the mess, some mess had been there (between the cushion in the seat, behind the bathroom door) They didn't even change our toilet paper, we were OUT. The manager of Housekeeping had to come up with clean glasses and toilet paper for us. :(

I was glad we stayed, but won't go back and I don't recommend it to anyone I know. I agree it adds to the ambiance of the trip, but in my opinion, it just wasn't worth it. Oh, and the pool was always crowded with screaming kids. :(

tjrj
09-01-2006, 12:53 PM
It's been 6 years since we stayed there. Loved it. Rooms were large and light and airy. Waterfall only enhanced the experience. Pool was great. Bathroom needed updating but that was about it.

Being an older Disney hotel has it's advantages. The "standard" back then was for larger rooms with more storage space. This is in contrast to the newer Disney hotel-GCH(which we've also stayed at)-where the rooms are smaller, darker & have less storage.

Seen similar impressions at WDW-Poly vs AKL and WL.

acpalmer
09-01-2006, 01:04 PM
Too, too many threads.

First, do your homework.

• Type in a key word.
• Off you go.

But it's all there!

Actually I wouldn't recommend doing this particular homework, as the assignment seems flawed. If you click on search this thread, then it will only search THIS THREAD--not much help for other info since this is the one the op started. Perhaps suggesting the "search this forum" would have been a better suggestion.

It seems to me that if someone is going to snap at someone else, then perhaps they should check their info.

Tinkermommy
09-01-2006, 01:33 PM
I love the Disneyland Hotel. We stay every year for my daughter's birthday. We've only had one bad experience, but it was with a gathering of guests in the hotel; not the hotel's fault. When we reported it, they moved us immediately.

It's an older hotel, but to me, that's part of the charm. It has Mickey fixtures (and toiletries) in the bathrooms; Tinker Bell wall borders that glow faintly in the dark, park artwork on the walls, park maps and castle "etchings" in the furniture, and if you get it, the Neverland pool view is amazing. It all really makes me feel like I'm more immersed in Disney than, say, the Sheraton across the street (which I also like).

We sprang (sprung?) for Concierge at the D'land Hotel once; that was awesome. It has a lounge with foods and beverages all day. Lots of fun for a little one!

My ONLY regret about the D'land Hotel is that we never build in any down-time. We're always rushing to enjoy the pool between the time it opens and check-out time on the last day -- although they're nice about letting you retain card key access beyond check out time.

THpoohbear
09-01-2006, 02:43 PM
notabrady - welcome to MousePlanet!!!:)

A little more than a year ago, I got my dream since I was a little girl and stayed for one night. I loved it! If you've always wanted to go - I say do it! Now that I've stayed there, I don't feel compelled to do it again, (although most of the time I got to DL I don't use a hotel, I live 30 minutes away). I just loved seeing all of the disney touches inside the room! I was hoping for a cool view, DH and I were celebrating our anniversary, but we got a parking lot. The CM who checked us in wasn't very cheery. But I still loved it. We ate dinner that night at Granville's and LOVED it. My dish was one of the yummiest things I've ever had. Hope your trip is great!

Rockchalker
09-01-2006, 03:02 PM
Too, too many threads.

First, do your homework.

• Type in a key word.
• Off you go.

But it's all there!

Wow! Did you mean to come off so harsh to someone that has been posting a month? Because he is going in November, gives him 2 months not "5 years" to put this trip together so let's give him a little help...

So anyway, we absolutely love the Disneyland Hotel. It just adds so much to our trips! The atmosphere is great, the staff from the front desk to housekeeping are professional and courteous. The beds are comfortable, the decor is awesome, the pool and grounds, etc., etc. It just stands out of anything you will find along Harbor.

I would recommend requesting the Sierra Tower. It is closer to DTD and your choice of views are the Neverland Pool or DTD.

On the negative side, I have heard that the Monorail will be down until December. As well, I am not a big fan of Goofy's Kitchen (it's too dark inside.)

You will not go wrong staying at the DLH.

The old man
09-01-2006, 03:50 PM
Too far a walk for us. We like to take an afternoon break and it's quite a walk. And waiting for the monorail can also take way too long.

babytmakes5
09-01-2006, 04:46 PM
We stayed at the DLH 2 1/2 years ago and had a wonderful stay. In fact, we won't stay off-property again! Housekeeping and room service CM's were so friendly and the grounds and room were perfectly maintained and very clean. We liked being "at Disneyland" 24/7. The walk from the parks can be long after a full day with young children, but that part wouldn't keep me away. The only negative part for us was that we paid for a "resort view," and didn't get it because we checked in too late in the day. So, if you do stay at the DLH, make sure to check in early so you can have your pick of rooms. Have fun!

annieb727
09-01-2006, 06:14 PM
I'll be there in just over a week!!! YAY!!! I'll let you know what I think of it then - I'll do a whole trip report. :)

rentayenta
09-01-2006, 06:27 PM
Love staying on property. I like the DLH but love the PPH. It's a little newer and cleaner. The DLH though has pixie dust wall border so make sure to leave your blinds open when you leave during the day so the pixie dust will shine at night.

Rhiannon8404
09-01-2006, 08:02 PM
Love staying on property. I like the DLH but love the PPH. It's a little newer and cleaner.
I agree! For me, not only is the PPH newer and cleaner, but a much better price. We don't mind walking since we generall cut through DCA or hop on the monorail.

june1st1997
09-01-2006, 08:11 PM
Staying on property is amazing... We stay on site often... Both GCH & DLH. DLH is fabulous... You did not mention if you are a parent, if you are this info may be helpful.

The room we just had was very small... and basically one whole wall is floor to ceiling windows (we were on a corner so we had 1 1/2 walls of windows). Fabulous if you are single or married without children...Not good for this parent.

I have a pak n play that must be set up so I need a bit more room.

The bathroom was very small as well. In fact even the tub was small. DD does not sit up by herself so she gets a bath with mom. It would have been very uncomfortable in there, so we did not try ( and I'm an average size woman).

Water pressure in the shower was... not great.

And here is where I sound bad... Complimentary bath products were... Less than fantastic. I LOVE trying hotel shampoo. I was a bit disappointed with the all in one shampoo/conditioner. You may want to consider bringing your own.

And Unlike most on this board, we spend a bit of time in the room. DD is asleep by 8 or 8:30. She sleeps better in new places if we stick to her routine and schedule (which includes a bath). Nothing worse than being basically on top of eachother, ya know.

I did find the room clean, the theromstat easy to use and cast members helpful.

If you are considering room service... take a minute and consider bringing in from Downtown Disney. All the food down there is great. We are big room service fans.... but at disneyland we do take out from DTD.

I will say before we were parents we really enjoyed DLH. In fact my husband preferred it to GCH. One year we were staying there when the parks closed early... We went to Hooks Point got some food and drinks and hung out watching the game while the sun set. It was great.

I love the Disneyland hotel. It has incredible sentimental value to me (we vacationed there for my birthday every year while my parents were married) and if we ever came without DD... then we might consider it if the price difference btwn GCH & DLH was SIGNIFICANT. The water pressure thing is huge though...

But at this point in my life space is very important. We travel with alot of stuff for DD so space is very important. I just got back from a trip to Washington... We had 7 bags (3 checked) for 4 days. Alot of stuff.

I am confident you will have a great time... If you are going without children it'll be amazing... If you are brining a little one... go in knowing the space issues.

I Heart Disneyland!
09-01-2006, 08:35 PM

But it's all there!

Instead of this whole thing, why not just offer an opinion? :( We've all been new and asked questions before having the whole system down. Maybe we need to offer some grace.

Crazy4DL
09-01-2006, 08:54 PM
First, do your homework.

!

There is no reason to be rude!

One reason I enjoy Mouseplanet so much is that most posters are friendly and helpful here. I have a computer background and I would not have necessarily thought to search for an answer when I first joined.

Please don't feel bad, notabrady.

I have only stayed at the DLH one time, years ago. My friend and I thought is seemed run down at that point. I am sure it has been updated since then.

My DD and I and kids stayed at the PP for 4 nights a couple of years ago. It was very nice. Big room. Clean. Playpen in the closet to use. Two queen beds and a sofa hide-a-bed. We had an excellent view of DCA!

Leslie21
09-01-2006, 09:55 PM
We stayed last November and loved it! I really recommend it just because of the atmosphere (and yes, we're all adults so the atmosphere thing doesn't only count for children, at least in my humble opinion) and the really comfy beds. We're actually doing GCH this year and I hope it is as great as the Disneyland Hotel. So, we do enjoy staying at resort hotels (we also stayed at the Wilderness Lodge at WDW back in May and loved that too!!!) and the walk from the gate to the hotel isn't very long or at least it doesn't feel that way for me since we walk through DTD and we get immersed in the ambiance and holiday decorations in November. I guess it is a question of individual tastes and budget. Only you can decide if its the right thing for you but hopefully our opinions (positive or negative) can give you some insight an help you make the right decision for you.

splash
09-04-2006, 09:33 AM
We stayed there in May of 2005 (right when the 50th started). It was pretty magical. I don't know if it was because this place is so talked about or not. Our room was clean, comfortable and airy. We had a pool view in the Sierra tower. We liked it so much that we are going back there this Dec. If you can do it, you should, at least once!

disneyochem
09-04-2006, 10:11 AM
We love to stay on-site especially the DLH. You will not regret it. There is just something about staying at this hotel that enhances the Disney magic! Arrange for some downtime at the hotel and enjoy a margarita at the Lost Bar, play the toy boats, watch the koi fish, swim in the Neverland pool or Cove Pool, get a latte in the morning from the coffee shop and watch the hotel come alive!

Even though I love the GCH, I always find myself going back to stay at DLH. Maybe it is a hold over from my childhood but I equate the DLH with Disneyland!

tunaman68
09-04-2006, 04:46 PM
Even though we live 30 minutes away, we have stayed at the DH several times. My wife used to play music at the Wharf Bar on the weekends in the 90's so I was there with our kids all the time. Things have changed a lot since then, but it still is a great property!

The theming is great, the staff friendly, and being immersed in Disney without having to deal with the 'seedier' parts of the Disney area is GREAT!

We always had a room above the waterfalls, and could watch the dancing water show in the evening. We could also see the fireworks over the top of the eastern tower!! I don't know if all the rooms are the same, but we've always had a killer room with two beds and a couch as well as a little dressing area outside the bathroom.

I know they've done lots of renovations in the last few years, but it was always bunches of fun, and we got a great rate as California residents/annual pass holders, so make sure and check on that!

During our last stay they closed the neverland pool one day because it was too dirty?!?! At the time, there was another pool (around the back by the 'beach') that was a little cooler, a bit deeper and MUCH less crowded so look for that if it is still there.

All in all, it's a great property, walking distance from all the great stuff at downtown disney, and if the crowds are light, the monorail is a great way to get to the park too! I think it's down for the submarine construction now :(

Have fun!

cwillis
09-05-2006, 07:35 AM
the people on these boards are the disneyland crazies, and so the reviews here are quite biased.

DLH is not what it seems to be. it is nice to stay on site. the service is excellent and it's nice to be able to call the front desk.The Lobby, front entrance, and pools are magical,

but the room has old and worn linens and carpets. dirty grout in the tiles on the floor and shower. cute furniture with disneyland engravings, also there are disneyland themed wallpaper and bedspreads, but they are very weird and old-style and not spectacular at all. the art is random and vague if you see any in the actual halls or rooms of the hotel. there was low water pressure and a challenge to get the right temperature in the shower. I wouldn't call it a dump, but I am regretting spending over 200 per night at a hotel that was crappier than the alpine motel i usually pay 60 per night for.

I personally lost the magic feel when I arrived at my ugly 10 by 12 DLH room after a nice day at the park.

tunaman68
09-05-2006, 08:05 AM
Disneyland Crazies? I resent that!

I'm just not looking in the bathroom with a microscope to find someone else's lint when I check in to a hotel room!!

jazzysmom
09-05-2006, 08:29 AM
Ok, I'm gonna throw my travel agent .02 in here.

Many times it boils down to your budget. If you can afford it, it is a wonderful place to stay. It is convenient, and you really do feel submersed in Disney. I have stayed at all 3 properties and enjoyed them all greatly.

That being said, many times it is just too expensive for the budget you have to work with. Sometimes the extra money you spend to stay there would be better used on food in the parks, souvieners etc. You can still have a great time at Disneyland staying at one of the nearby hotels if that would be easier on your budget. If money is not an issue, stay at a Disney property. The Grand is the best! Have a wonderful time!