PDA

View Full Version : Tinkerbell during the fireworks

Timmy13T
09-01-2006, 07:51 AM
My gf and I have been at this for a while now. We went to disneyland in febuary and we watched the 'Remember Dreams Come True...' firworks. I was amazed at the show and the tinkerbell flying from the matterhorn. And this is where we started arguing, i said that that tinkerbell is a person dressed up at her and she is flying on a string bascily and being part of the show. My gf onthe other hand said it was a robot or perjection. so tell me who is that tinkerbell and is it real or just some disney magic?

Syndrome
09-01-2006, 08:06 AM
It's a real person suspended on a wire.

danyoung
09-01-2006, 08:17 AM
Yes, she is real. In past shows she's flown down from the top of the Matterhorn in an un-motorized rig - basically just sliding down the wire and stopping in a big mattress-type rig over in Frontierland. This new rig is motorized and under computer control. So for the first time she can go up, down, forwards and backwards. It's an amazing effect, and must be a really fun ride for the performer!

ghoofie
09-01-2006, 09:47 AM
Huh ? Wires ? Computers ? Animation ?

Nope. It's really Tinkerbell !!! ;)

I saw a picture, as closeup as the person could be I guess,
and it appears Tink is wearing a plastic head mask thingy..like the
characters around the park (mickey, etc)

potzbie
09-01-2006, 10:33 AM
It's really Tinkerbell !!! ;)

:)

I think MousePlanet has an article on the technical specifications and manufacturing standards that the Disney corporation has regarding the customized pixie dust used nightly.

Did I read that pixie dust is available via mail order through Disney Character Warehouse?

;)

doombuggy driver
09-01-2006, 06:52 PM
My gf and I have been at this for a while now. We went to disneyland in febuary and we watched the 'Remember Dreams Come True...' firworks. I was amazed at the show and the tinkerbell flying from the matterhorn. And this is where we started arguing, i said that that tinkerbell is a person dressed up at her and she is flying on a string bascily and being part of the show. My gf onthe other hand said it was a robot or perjection. so tell me who is that tinkerbell and is it real or just some disney magic?
Did your girlfriend actually watch Tinkerbell? There is no way she could be a robot or projection. Her movements are incredible and it is so magical!!!!!

Opus1guy
09-01-2006, 06:58 PM
I always thought she was a paper mache target for the pyrotechnicians to aim their surface-to-air missiles at.

;)

Tinkermommy
09-01-2006, 07:59 PM
My little girl -- a Tink-a-holic -- and I watched the fireworks last night from right in front of the castle. It was an awesome night, and perfect for what will probably be our last chance to catch the 50th fireworks.

As soon as Tink flew out, this woman behind us, who had been chatting with us during the pre-show wait, said she'd heard Tinker Bell was being portrayed by a man. I gave her that "Hello...kid sitting here..." look, but she kept going, saying how it must be a woman, and what a great job it must be...ARGH!!

By the time I got her to stop, I thought my daughter was going to cry. Fortunately, when we did our hand-clapping to demonstrate that we believe in Tink, her wings changed from green to white, and it looked like Tink waved in our direction.

You'll never convince ME it's not Tinker Bell and Pixie Dust! (Wearing a safety harness in the unlikely event the non-believers outnumber the believers one night...)

CmHyperion
09-01-2006, 10:04 PM

I know! Why does everyone think that all the characters at DL/DCA are fake? That Tinkerbell is the real Tinkerbell flying across Disneyland, no wires, ropes or any other sort of thing. I mean seriously just think, this is Disneyland we are talking about here why would Disneyland hire lookalikes when they could just get the real characters to do it for free?

Vegitabeta
09-02-2006, 02:37 AM

Yeah she does wear a mask, why is that?

dznyphreak
09-02-2006, 12:51 PM
So people who get close enough to take pictures can ask why she wears a mask! ;)

ghoofie
09-02-2006, 01:46 PM

I think it's so her head/face will be larger so people can see her face.

Malcon10t
09-02-2006, 02:22 PM
I think it's so her head/face will be larger so people can see her face.
It could also be for protection from the mortars being fired in her general direction. I don't remember prior Tinks wearing masks.

wardkimballfan
09-02-2006, 03:55 PM
I know! Why does everyone think that all the characters at DL/DCA are fake? That Tinkerbell is the real Tinkerbell flying across Disneyland, no wires, ropes or any other sort of thing. I mean seriously just think, this is Disneyland we are talking about here why would Disneyland hire lookalikes when they could just get the real characters to do it for free?It's similar to the debate about whether or not CMs are real CMs like Walt wanted them to be, or fakes who are just there because it's another job. :p

doombuggy driver
09-02-2006, 05:09 PM
It's similar to the debate about whether or not CMs are real CMs like Walt wanted them to be, or fakes who are just there because it's another job. :p
ZING!!!

:p

disneyhound
09-02-2006, 06:09 PM
Basically, they talk some gullible parents of a small child into allowing their little one to become a "special" CM for the fireworks show. The mask is to hide the look of sheer terror on the kids face! What appears to be graceful arm gestures are panic waves for help!

Trust me, you don't want to know what the glitter is actually composed of... :D

Vegitabeta
09-03-2006, 02:25 AM
:eek:

*Makes mental note: never get under the path of a Tink on fireworks nights*

Another Dimension
09-03-2006, 07:27 PM
Mask or not, I'd LOVE to experience the incredible air-time that hotty pixie gets nightly.

She's the only one in Disneyland that ever gets any significant air-time at all. :(

jazzysmom
09-04-2006, 08:01 AM
Bottom line: You win. Hee hee.