PDA

View Full Version : Gay Days and Bats Day - Reactions by non-participants

Pages : [1] 2 3

Bytebear
09-01-2006, 12:08 AM
Being gay, I love gay days at the park, and I have also heard of, although it's not my thing, that Bat Day is apparently for Goths and the black makeup, Tim Burton crowd (I heard that Haunted Mansion had a 2 hour wait). I was just wondering, how do you, as one who happens to hit a day when an unusual group takes over the park, feel about such events? Do you even notice the red shirts and hand holding on gay days? Are you offended or afraid for your children? Gay days is coming up in a few weeks, so I want honest feedback so as to not offend the straight crowd.

PAPACITO
09-01-2006, 12:18 AM
Bat day was so cool. I am a cm and I loved looking at everybody dressed in thier clothing. Gay day will not bother me at all. It would be king of funny seeing a sea of red shirts. I just dont want to see any rainbow stuff.

Darkbeer
09-01-2006, 12:22 AM
I had absolutely no problem with the VAST majority of Bats Day folks...

The two things I had problems with (and others in my group)...

The one Goth with a Black Leather Jacket with the "F" word in large visible print walking thru the park

And a couple of young ladies, one "leading" the other with a leash and collar.

I think these two groups overstepped the boundary!

As for Gay Days, we usually have fun playing a game...

"Did they get the Memo?"

Where we check out folks in red shirts, and say....

Yes...

No Way...

Maybe...

And it is all in fun, and I also know that wearing Red just means you support the group, and not an identification of your sexual preference... And I have many friends that wear Red in early October, and have no problem supporting them.....

It was a "fun" year when the Anaheim Angels were in the playoffs at the same time as Gay Days, PLENTY of Red Shirts that weekend :fez:

As for the event itself, I have seen a few things at Gay Days that IMHO did not belong in the park, but that 99% of the folks were just fine...

And also IMHO... I think the administrators of both Bats Day and Gay Days should make it clear that these are "mix-in" events and that many families will be attending, most of who have NO idea that the "special" event is taking place, and that the attendees should behave accordingly...

Heck, with MouseAdventure, the PRIMARY rule is to not interfere with the "regular" park guests....

So it should be the same with the other groups, go have a fun time, just don't do anything stupid.....

Vegitabeta
09-01-2006, 02:22 AM
Ok, if someone has the F word on their clothes they should be told to change their shirt or get out! imo.

doombuggy driver
09-01-2006, 04:46 AM
We will be going during Gay days this year. I just think that it should be planned on a non holiday weekend. The park will be extra crowded because this year there will be Gay days, the walk for charity (I can't remember the name) Columbus day, and some fall breaks in AZ all at the same time.

I am already worrried about the crowds!

talie95
09-01-2006, 06:16 AM
I personally wouldn't have a problem with either group. I don't think that some of the things people have experienced here are appropriate("F" word!?) when going to a place that has lots of families and young kids. But as long as everyone was respecting everyone else I think it's just fine! We are actually going the week before gay days (Oct. 3&4) and I'm glad we didn't go over the weekend just because of the crowds it's going to pull in. So have fun!!!!
P.S. Someone posted about the discount tickets through the gay days website. Do you know if it's OK for "non-gay" people to buy those? I just don't want to do something that's frowned upon(taking discount tickets for a cause that I'm not involved with) But those prices are great and hard to pass up!!!

MammaSilva
09-01-2006, 06:24 AM
I haven't been during Bat days only because it usually falls when the kids are getting ready to head back to school and I (and my brothers family) tend to want to be here at home getting them into a routine for a week or two before the grind starts, I have been to the parks both during the regular Gay Days in October and mini gay days in April....and I am blessed with a '4' year old that just sees people...so we've never had a negative experience. If anything it enhances our trip because most of the folks are really in such a great mood that it sort of does the ripple effect and there seems to be a little more happy in the happiest place on earth...YMMV

For those folks that say that they saw inappropriate PDA (public displays of affection) I have seen that on other occassions that had nothing to do with any special event. As for the Goth with the objectional word on his jacket, yeah I would say regardless of when/what event that he should have been asked to remove his jacket out of respect of the rest of the guests, not because he was Goth, but because I wouldn't want to have to explain to my adorable 5 year old angel who is learning to read what that word means.

averagedork
09-01-2006, 06:28 AM
Coming as a preschool teacher, a lot of my preschool kids went to Disneyland on Bat's day (preschool teacher in Anaheim with a ton of AP holder students). I had to field "we went to Disneyland and everyone was in black." and a lot of dead people questions. I also got a lot of "why do grown ups dress that way? Why don't you dress that way?" I don't know I... you want to dress like that, fine but be respectful of the kids at the parks. Remember that you are going to be part of their memories of the park, and don't mess that up. I can still remember things about my childhood at the park.

funglu
09-01-2006, 07:27 AM
No problem as long as it is on the Disneyland parks calendar of events. It should not be a surprise to people that they show up and its "special" day of any kind, example: If I don't like Star Wars, I don't want to show up for a Star Wars weekend.

This is one of those "if I ran the parks" answers: I wouldn't have any designated "days" for anything other than character days or Disneyland related days (birthday, anniversaries, attraction premiers, etc.). I want people to come to the park for the park celebration and a "fantasy" reality. I am a huge sports fan, but I don't want to see even my favorite team given recognition above my least favorite Disney character. But if I am at the park and one of these "days" is in full effect, it really doesn't bother me.

And just for the record, I do like Star Wars.

DianeM
09-01-2006, 07:53 AM
I viisted one year during "gay days". I didn't really know the event was going to happpen, but I figured out what was going on when I noticed a lot of same-sex couples wandering around the park wearing red t-shirts. I wasn't offended, but I have avoided visiting during gay days since then because I always try to avoid crowds, and any kind of special event draws crowds.

Do you even notice the red shirts and hand holding on gay days? Are you offended or afraid for your children? Gay days is coming up in a few weeks, so I want honest feedback so as to not offend the straight crowd.

DianeM
09-01-2006, 07:58 AM
Disney doesn't have any designated days for these events (or any other "group" days that I'm aware of) and the events aren't on the park calendar. These are organized by entirely private groups and not officially sponsored or supported by the Disney Corporation, although I think there is some unofficial awareness - the only time I've seen "rainbow" Mickey antenna toppers was at gay days.

No problem as long as it is on the Disneyland parks calendar of events. It should not be a surprise to people that they show up and its "special" day of any kind, example: If I don't like Star Wars, I don't want to show up for a Star Wars weekend.

spectromen
09-01-2006, 07:58 AM
The two things I had problems with (and others in my group)...

The one Goth with a Black Leather Jacket with the "F" word in large visible print walking thru the park

And a couple of young ladies, one "leading" the other with a leash and collar.

I thought Disney had a policy against offensive clothing like that and stopped them at the gate?

And yeah, I've seen the collar and leash girls more than once. I just don't get it, but I do chuckle a little.

bradk
09-01-2006, 08:09 AM
although i haven't witnessed it, i've heard stories, and i have to say the only thing that would scare me is ArielCon.

rosie
09-01-2006, 10:45 AM
No problem here! Only wish I could be there myself for Gay Day and wear a big old red shirt! My older daughter and I are doing the Aids Walk in Portland on September 24th.

mulansgirl
09-01-2006, 10:59 AM
I am trying to get my "daddies" to come to gay day but they do not like crowds. So I have the feeling I will never get them to Disneyland. This would be the only time they really would feel comfortable but too many people. Maybe next year. Bats day and Gay day make me smile, it is like for a moment there really is acceptance in this world.

The Mouse Is Back
09-01-2006, 12:09 PM
I've gone to CMs (especially security types if they're around) about profanity and inappropriate graphics on clothing (i.e. REALLY sexual images), and if the person wearing it was still around and the CM could catch up with them, they did act on it.

My understanding is that *if* CMs notice those kinds of things at the gate, the individual will be told to change into something else, but on really busy days some things slip by. And someone like the F-word-wearing guy more than likely changes into that once they're in the Park, but you can always grab a CM really quickly and point them out.

I love seeing any group at Disneyland having fun! I kind of have to laugh at some of the younger Goths, though...trying to pretend they're bored and angst-ridden whilst waiting in line for Peter Pan.

disneyperson
09-01-2006, 12:11 PM
The organizer of Bats Day received a phone call from DL management shortly after the event. They thanked him for a well organised event, told him the day passed without incident or complaint from other guests, and that DL looked forward to hosting our well-behaved group next year. :D

There will always be a few bad apples in any large group, but the vast majority of the folk who attend Bats Day are friendly and fun .

I once saw a guest in a shirt with the f word . He was a not a goth. He was an otherwise regular looking middle aged man. And believe it or not.....he had children with him.:eek: I saw a CM tell him to turn his shirt inside out or buy another one and he complied.

doombuggy driver
09-01-2006, 12:38 PM
Disney doesn't have any designated days for these events (or any other "group" days that I'm aware of) and the events aren't on the park calendar. These are organized by entirely private groups and not officially sponsored or supported by the Disney Corporation, although I think there is some unofficial awareness - the only time I've seen "rainbow" Mickey antenna toppers was at gay days.

The only way I found out about it was on MP. It is not listed on the official website.

I have no problem being there during Gay Days I am just concerned about the crowds. I might even wear red to support it!

annieb727
09-01-2006, 12:41 PM
I have no problem with any group that comes to DL while I'm there, as long as they're well behaved - as long as my family and i are not subjected to inappropriate displays of affection - but that applies to straight or gay.

Bytebear
09-01-2006, 02:38 PM
Someone posted about the discount tickets through the gay days website. Do you know if it's OK for "non-gay" people to buy those? I just don't want to do something that's frowned upon(taking discount tickets for a cause that I'm not involved with) But those prices are great and hard to pass up!!!

Get the cheapest ticket you can find, and wear a red shirt with something like "Straight" on the front, or "Stop cruising my husband!". That would be funny.

Bytebear
09-01-2006, 02:42 PM

About 7 years ago, they did have an official night, where they closed the park early for gay days (similar to Grad nights). I prefered those as you knew everyone was comfortable with the situation, and you didnt have to wear red to stand out. Of course, the drawback was that you did get a lot more inappropriate behaviour which I found annoying.

cstephens
09-01-2006, 02:46 PM
Inappropriate clothing and behaviour should be addressed regardless of who is involved. I don't think it's inherent to any specific group. (Not saying that anyone has made that claim - just adding my comment.)

My only "problem" with Gay Day, Bats Day or the like is just that there's a whole lot more people in the park, and I generally like to avoid the park when it's extremely crowded, except apparently for July 4th and the occasional New Year's Eve. Even if it was "Saintly Polite Beings Who Never Cut In Line, Swear or Run Down Main Street Chasing Other People With Their Children's Dirty Diapers", I'd probably avoid the resort if I could.

But it *was* fun to be there on the Gay Day during the Angels' pennant run a few years ago! :~D

bradk
09-01-2006, 02:49 PM
i wonder if roz on monsters inc accuses any gay couples of cheating on their partners with her

Andrew
09-01-2006, 02:53 PM
Even if it was "Saintly Polite Beings Who Never Cut In Line, Swear or Run Down Main Street Chasing Other People With Their Children's Dirty Diapers"...
... with their children on leashes while breastfeeding?

wardkimballfan
09-01-2006, 03:10 PM
I gotta admit I wonder just why Gay Day(s) and Bats Day (which sounds like a gathering of Louisville Slugger salesmen) gets so much press (or if not "press" exactly, at least chatter on Disney boards like this one). I mean, aren't there other social groups that have "(Whatever) Days" at Disneyland or WDW? I don't see a lot of talk about other groups having special gatherings at the parks, such as this weekend's Tom Joyner Family Reunion (http://www.blackamericaweb.com/family06/) at Walt Disney World (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/parks/specialEvents?id=TomJoynerFamilyReunionSpecialEven tPage). Why is that?