PDA

View Full Version : We Went To The Left On Space Mountain!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Doug
08-30-2006, 07:05 PM
There we where on Sunday (and it was "slow"!), our 2nd time going on Space for the day, using a FP, I asked my friend if we should try another seat, since we always go up front, the descision was made to just take what they give us, we get in, pull up the the control booth, and we turned left! Now, I have been on Space more times than I can remember since it re-opened, but I have never been to the left, in fact, I am not sure if I have ever seen anyone go to the left! Funny to see the curtain open before us, then close behind, I took some pictures in that back area, if anyone wants to see ... I asked the CM at least 3 times why we where sent to the left, he would not give an answer, well, one time he said "not enough fule to make it through the ride", I even asked if we where over weight (I think I read that was a reason, somewhere, for being diverted), he did not answer..... anyone else been to the left?

Mermaid
08-30-2006, 07:19 PM
Nope never!! Cool that you got to go! We want pics!!!

Squeaky
08-30-2006, 08:25 PM
I would DEFINATELY love to see!! My brother went back there once, he said it was amazing. Good for you, Doug, that rocks!!!

tod
08-30-2006, 08:30 PM
Yeah, back in the '80s. Somebody had barfed in the rocket, and rather than send it out empty, they loaded us in (except for the barfed-in section) and then sent us into the tunnel.

We took the usual stop, then a couple of CM's pushed us into the left. It was a working area, with fluorescent lights and a big REMOVE ONE "E" TICKET FROM YOUR BOOK AND PRESENT IT TO THE ATTENDANT sign hanging on one wall like a trophy.

--t

tigga please
08-30-2006, 08:43 PM
so what is the left? they made you get off?? im lost..

annieb727
08-30-2006, 09:24 PM
we went there once...we were from the handicapped section and it was HORRIBLE...this lady who could barely walk, and they kept us standing in this one area instead of just letting us go back to the wheelchairs where she could sit. We stood there for probably 10 minutes. The poor lady - I didn't know if she was going to make it much longer. We kept trying to get the CMs to let us go back to the wheelchairs, but they didn't listen at all.

when they loaded us back in, they didn't put everyone back in - so I think it was weight related. they were really quiet about the REASON, they wouldn't tell us anything...just unloaded us.

TP2000
08-30-2006, 09:31 PM
If there are too many fat people in one rocket they have to pull it off, send it into the storage area, get everyone out, and then reposition people into a new rocket while graciously trying to weed out a couple of the large people to prevent it from happening again.

It's purely a weight related issue. And since Americans are bigger now than they were in 1977, it happens much more frequently than it did in the 1970's and 80's.

Leslie21
08-30-2006, 11:15 PM
If there are too many fat people in one rocket they have to pull it off, send it into the storage area, get everyone out, and then reposition people into a new rocket while graciously trying to weed out a couple of the large people to prevent it from happening again.

It's purely a weight related issue. And since Americans are bigger now than they were in 1977, it happens much more frequently than it did in the 1970's and 80's.

Really ? How fat ? I've gone various times with my parents and brother and we're all on the larger side and we've never had a problem... :confused:

doombuggy driver
08-31-2006, 04:53 AM
I don't think they are talking about being pulled to the left side where they load the handicapped riders. I think the origional post is talking about right before the control booth the tracks veer off to the left instead of taking the normal right side ride.

Is the ride the same on the left, or different?

I would love to see the pictures!

jswtsang
08-31-2006, 06:01 AM
one time i picked the wrong side of the queue as you go down the ramp and a huge flood of people got in front of me, so I just missed going to the left, as the car in front of me went. I read online that someone who did that got to ride with the lights on, and it was just after a handicapped car had been boarded, i was wondering if they got the cars mixed up? But it wasn't to the handicapped area, they went into the ride and took a left at the control booth. They were certainly looking confused as we took off. I guess I didn't pick the wrong queue after all, I would have been stuck for a while.

jt

annieb727
08-31-2006, 06:59 AM
and I wasn't talking about the handicapped area - we were originally LOADED onto Space Mtn in the handicapped area...we had to get out of the cars after going to the left...they had this big metal step ladder type thing. Then we had to wait back there for a while

Whittibo
08-31-2006, 08:11 AM
I am so confused.

Are there two tracks? Or did you go to the left and just get off?

Why did they load a barfed in rocket. And Gawd I hope that doesn't ever happen when I am there, I don't think I could ever get back on. :(

Syndrome
08-31-2006, 09:02 AM
If you're riding the ride, you will always go right. You're only taken to the left side if there's an issue w/ your "craft".

Whittibo
08-31-2006, 09:09 AM
If you're riding the ride, you will always go right. You're only taken to the left side if there's an issue w/ your "craft".

Ah, so there is no other track. If you go to the left, you're basically just going to get off? Do you get to go on the next craft then?

wardkimballfan
08-31-2006, 09:24 AM
I've heard that after hours, there's a secret "JFK" version of Space Mountain, where riders go back....and to the left....back....and to the left.....back....and to the left....back....and to the left.... ;)

Gizmata
08-31-2006, 09:58 AM
I saw a group standing outside the curtain last weekend so it could have been your group Doug.

I noticed on one of my trips the cars they were loading at the extra loading time spot had orange stripes instead of the yellow ones I mostly noticed. I am not certain about this but it makes sense to mark the vehicle like they do at small world with the pvc pipe.

tod
08-31-2006, 09:59 AM
I am so confused.

Are there two tracks? Or did you go to the left and just get off?

Why did they load a barfed in rocket. And Gawd I hope that doesn't ever happen when I am there, I don't think I could ever get back on. :(

1. It's a storage/maintenance area. You have to get off, there is no access to the ride from there.

2. Let me explain, with emphasis:

Somebody had barfed in the rocket, and rather than send it out empty, they loaded us in (except for the barfed-in section) and then sent us into the tunnel.

Does that help?

--t

Whittibo
08-31-2006, 10:10 AM
If they were just sending the "barfed-in" car out to service, then they just had to transfer you to another car, so that other one must have been behind the curtain where they sent you in the first car?!

Is there no way to get a new rocket into the que without sending it through the whole ride?

tod
08-31-2006, 10:27 AM
If they were just sending the "barfed-in" car out to service, then they just had to transfer you to another car, so that other one must have been behind the curtain where they sent you in the first car?!

Is there no way to get a new rocket into the que without sending it through the whole ride?

No, they sent us to the left, had us get out, then led us to the onstage loading area where we got in another (barf-free) rocket.

A new rocket can be loaded onto the track before the loading area. There's a J-shaped track leading to the loading track from the backstage area we spoke of, where the rockets can be moved on and off the track.

--t

Gizmata
08-31-2006, 10:30 AM
Cars are added at the entrance to the station using the sliding sections similar to the "extra loading time" spot and used at the matterhorn.

If a car goes to the left it has to go around to the entrance of the station to get back on the main track. Behind the curtain is where they can repair cars and store extras when they are not running at full capacity. The track(s) back there may not have systems to move the cars around like they do through the station so a CM may be required to push the cars around. Also there may be cars stored that block the path of getting the overweight (or problem) car back around to the main track so they may bring on a different car in its place.

The old man
08-31-2006, 10:43 AM
I've heard that after hours, there's a secret "JFK" version of Space Mountain, where riders go back....and to the left....back....and to the left.....back....and to the left....back....and to the left.... ;)
This must be some kind of clever joke, but I don't get it.

snappy
08-31-2006, 10:47 AM
Once our rocket made the left to my suprise! What I remember seeing is the old Space Mountain (Orange I think) sign from way back stored back there also. Yes they had to push us. They even have another diverted track to the inside of our track for maint. It almost looked like Jiffy lube with guys working below on one of the rockets.

snappy
08-31-2006, 10:48 AM
Next time I go I'm looking for overweight people so I can get diverted again. Thanks for the tip!!!

Whittibo
08-31-2006, 10:56 AM
Next time I go I'm looking for overweight people so I can get diverted again. Thanks for the tip!!!

Hey, I am overweight, but I don't think I am THAT overweight. :s

I guess I don't understand why they would put anyone in a rocket that was barfed in, just to take them backstage and into a new rocket. I am trying to make sense, but really, it doesn't matter much so I should just hush up and maybe on my trip, I'll go to the left. :)

doombuggy driver
08-31-2006, 11:59 AM
LMHO!!!!:fez: