PDA

View Full Version : [New attractions based on] old Disney movies

cwillis
08-30-2006, 01:53 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I'd go crazy for some old school disney rides that had to do with older movies... Newsies, The Gnome Mobile, Candleshoe, Bedknobs and Broomsticks would make an AWESOME ride.

LOYL2DZNY
08-30-2006, 01:58 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I'd go crazy for some old school disney rides that had to do with older movies... Newsies, The Gnome Mobile, Candleshoe, Bedknobs and Broomsticks would make an AWESOME ride.

Bedknobs and Broomsticks would definitely be a good one!!

dznyphreak
08-30-2006, 02:28 PM
The only problem is that most kids these days have no idea what those movies are. Heck, I'm 17 and have seen B&B once, heard of the Newsies, and never heard of the other two movies...I doubt many kids would have seen them.
While we're on the subject, though, I enjoyed Black Cauldron back in the day. More recently overlooked films like Atlantis were good too. Doubt we'll ever see those. I don't think they even have costumes for these characters, do they??? I'd rather the new subs be Atlantis-themed than Finding Nemo. Don't get me wrong, FN is an amzing movie, but I've a feeling I won't be riding it much when it opens.

Syndrome
08-30-2006, 02:44 PM
Yes, and a Darby O'Gill ride too!:D

wardkimballfan
08-30-2006, 02:57 PM
A Cat From Outer Space ride and a North Avenue Irregulars ride would be interesting. A Hot Lead and Cold Feet ride could be done in Frontierland, for sure. A Snowball Express ride might be intriguing. But a Herbie the Love Bug ride would be the best of all.

disneyroxxx
08-30-2006, 03:36 PM
i know it isnt that old, but i would love to go on a little mermaid ride. i would want it to be a fantasyland dark ride, so you could go through the whole movie. i think it would become an instant classic.

mistofviolets
08-30-2006, 06:31 PM
Herbie would rock!!! Esp if they make it one of those rides with variables...so you never know exactly what "herbie" would do.

I think they could do a very cool Aladdin/magic carpet dark ride, too.

And little mermaid...And what about Mulan or Pocahontas? Fox and the hound?

And I love the snowball express idea :D

If they could pull off a Song of The South attraction (Movie has not been rereleased in how long?) surely they could pull off a few of the others :)

WITron
08-30-2006, 09:02 PM
Newsies, Old??? It came out in the early 90's.

wardkimballfan
08-30-2006, 10:08 PM
How about a Pollyanna ride or a That Darn Cat ride?

Oh wait, I know, I know....

A Swiss Family Robinson ride. No, not the treehouse, I'm talking about something really cool, with coconut bombs and rolling palm tree logs and....uh...pirates....

Gone2Disneyland
08-30-2006, 10:23 PM
Oh wait, I know, I know....

A Swiss Family Robinson ride. No, not the treehouse, I'm talking about something really cool, with coconut bombs and rolling palm tree logs and....uh...pirates....
Ok, since you mention "pirates"...

Personally I'm a little tired that all of Disneyland and DCA's latest "new" attractions are branded with recent films. How 'bout the old school way? How 'bout Pirates of the Caribbean, an attraction not clearly based on any film at the time it was developed, yet turned out to become an "instant classic"? Or The Haunted Mansion? Or Space Mountain (altho' I admit this one was probably influenced by the popular sci-fi films of the 70's when it debuted)?

Lately, we've had Monsters Inc., Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh and the forthcoming Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage. Isn't Soarin' great!! That's an original concept. And WDW is getting that new Expedition Everest; that's not based on a film. Can you tell that, despite how it turns out, I'm envious they're simply getting something non-film based?

Frankly, I'm a Disney geek, so ultimately, I'll be glad for any new attractions coming our way, but I so miss the Imagineers having the fiscal freedom to take a risk and build us something entirely original. I'd love to see what the new "instant classic" could be for us.

(Whew!) Sorry, and thanks, for my vent. :)

kdsmit07
08-31-2006, 01:01 AM
I have always kind of wanted a BAMBI themed ride.

It could be cool. Could be something as small as, Alice in Wonderland, or as big as Splash Mountain. Or maybe even a show like It's Tough to be a Bug. Or it could be something completely different; Or. just maybe, interactive like Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blaster's.

Or because of the light story line of Bambi, a ride would be completely pointless. Oh good, I got that off of my chest. Didn't make sense, but eh, it is late, and I am tired and excited.

Vegitabeta
08-31-2006, 02:56 AM
If they could pull off a Song of The South attraction (Movie has not been rereleased in how long?) surely they could pull off a few of the others :)

Splash Mountain is like, a Song of the South attraction though:confused:

doombuggy driver
08-31-2006, 04:44 AM
It is a sad but true fact that DL is not about entertainment anymore. It is about Money. The movies listed above would not bring that many extra guests into the park. The Pirates redux had peolple coming form all over the world just to see that ride. I don't think an Atlantis ride would have the same effect. The reason it is going to be a NEMO ride is because that's what is selling right now. Kids would rather find Nemo than Atlantis any day. That being said here are some rides that would be great in the park:

Cinderella, Ariel, Sleeping Beauty, Jasmine, Mulan, Pocahontes. Maybe a dark ride that incorportates all of the Princesses. They all deserve their own but DL doesn't have enough room.

Just my .02 cents worth!

LOYL2DZNY
08-31-2006, 04:58 AM
i know it isnt that old, but i would love to go on a little mermaid ride. i would want it to be a fantasyland dark ride, so you could go through the whole movie. i think it would become an instant classic.

disneyroxxx, you must've been inside my head as you wrote this. I was going to post the exact same thing!
wow! great minds DO think alike!

potzbie
08-31-2006, 10:53 AM
How about an OLD YELLER ride?

How about a CHARLIE THE LONESOME COUGAR ride?

How about a SPIN AND MARTY ride?

How would a Disney Imagineer implement such a ride?

A dark ride where we see stuffed versions of Old Yeller (the dog) and Charlie (the mountain lion)?

I don't think Mr. Spin and Mr. Marty would take kindly to being stuffed.
:(

mistofviolets
08-31-2006, 11:46 AM
Splash Mountain is like, a Song of the South attraction though:confused:

Exactly. If that worked...so would the others listed :)

I like Dark rides best...I bet they could do several princess themed rides, stacked on top of each other and winding through. Now that would save space AND be very cool.

tigga please
08-31-2006, 12:13 PM
what about a robinhood themed dark ride. possibly some other rides with more of a thrill edge to it..?
the Bedknobs and Broomsticks idea would be awesome with a soarin' feel to it. a bambi dark ride could have a astro blasters feel...wait bad idea LOL

disneyroxxx
08-31-2006, 01:50 PM
disneyroxxx, you must've been inside my head as you wrote this. I was going to post the exact same thing!
wow! great minds DO think alike!

yay! im glad someone agrees with me!

Vegitabeta
09-01-2006, 02:47 AM
a bambi dark ride could have a astro blasters feel...wait bad idea LOL

Ok, we already had the thread about Gaston killing Bambi! So we've beaten that yeti to death now!:geek:

jennynoel
09-01-2006, 08:39 AM
It is a sad but true fact that DL is not about entertainment anymore. It is about Money.

I sort of disagree with you here. I think the point is that the entertainment brings the money in, and making attractions based new movies entertains far more folks, hence more dollars spent.

I think it's false that Disney is only in it for the dollars. They are a for-profit corporation, but they make their money by being the best and most creative. They may make mistakes, and certainly don't have the flexibility of a boutique entertainment company, but the attention to detail and the love of Disney fans reflect the creative spirit and positive energy that still has a place in the corporation. Part of the power of capitalist economics is that consumers respond to quality, and originality. If we don't get what we want, we close our pocketbooks. The downside of this in the case of a company of Disney's size is that they need to cater to the masses. Hence, no Cat from Outer Space Live Musical Spectacular ;-)

Not that I wouldn't LOVE a Bedknobs and Broomsticks attraction!

As always, my .02 as well :-)

boots & saddles
09-01-2006, 03:38 PM
Little Mermaid would be my pick for the ultimate movie related Disney ride. It would be nice if the new Nemo ride included both movie themes.

Reasons for my Little Mermaid pick:

1) Both my wife and I love the tropical oceans, so much so that we have invested thousand of dollars in very large salt water reef aquarium that take up most of a wall in our home theater room. And when we do our vacation to Maui every other year we enjoy diving and getting up close with the beauty of ocean wildlife.

2) The Little Mermaid movie had the best music.

3) The color. One of Disney’s best as far as eye appeal

4) And last, pretty Mermaids. They beat witches, bears, knights, deer, a mouse, cats, and cougars any day. :D

potzbie
09-01-2006, 05:55 PM
Here's the marketing pitch:

We need a ride that appeals to youngsters.
We need a ride that appeals to teenagers.

So, let's mix together two icons!
BAMBI for the youngsters!
GODZILLA for the teens!

The ride?

"BAMBI MEETS GODZILLA"

:)

(see IMDb, "Bambi Meets Godzilla" (1969, Marv Newland)

backsthepack
09-01-2006, 06:23 PM
I think 101 Dalmations would make a great "dark" ride in Fantasy Land. It is an old favorite that kids still enjoy. Cruella would be pretty darn scary in black light.

annieb727
09-01-2006, 06:27 PM
I think 101 Dalmations would make a great "dark" ride in Fantasy Land. It is an old favorite that kids still enjoy. Cruella would be pretty darn scary in black light.

OOH...I like that idea!!!