PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Beauty's Castle Walkthrough GONE!?!?!

Pages : [1] 2

Darkbeer
05-08-2002, 10:22 PM
Disney.com now has removed the Sleeping Beauty's castle walkthrough from the Refurbishment schedule....

Is this the end of the Walkthrough???? Closed in the middle of the night, removed the signage, and placed a trash can in front of the entry door, and now no mention of the attraction in the Disneyland Today maps, the website, or the fact that is is being refurbished... looks like it got the same sendoff that the Rocket Rods got...

IT DESERVED MORE!!!!!:confused: :eek: :crying: :eek: :confused: :crying: :crying:

DLfreak
05-09-2002, 08:53 AM
I heard a rumor that there was some sort of accident in there and that's why they closed it in the first place. Does anybody know about this? I have no idea if it's true or if it's purely a rumor.

Ghoulish Delight
05-09-2002, 09:19 AM
I have never heard that rumor. The explanation I always heard was that the final excuse to close it was 9/11 (somehow, it was a security risk), but basically it's closed because people simply were not going in.

justagrrl
05-09-2002, 09:34 AM
I PROTEST!

Damn Them!

:mad: :crying: :eek: :(

SoCalSnowWhite
05-09-2002, 01:01 PM
I can't believe it!!!!!! I am so upset. If I would have known I would have recorded it for future posterity, or whatever. Man, they suck!!

Ghoulish Delight
05-09-2002, 01:06 PM
Whoa, before you go throwing yourselves down Snow White's well over this, there has been absolutely NO official announcement. I'd wait until we hear something officially before jumping to conclusions. I've seen things disappear from the refurb schedule on the site before without disappearing form the park.

okay, maybe I'm just kidding myself, but I'd like to think it'll still be there :()

SoCalSnowWhite
05-09-2002, 01:29 PM
Right. Until I see the door sealed shut forever, I will keep my hope alive

Gemini Cricket
05-09-2002, 06:02 PM
Maybe they're putting something really fascinating and creative in there...
Heck, I've always wanted to see a huge dragon @ Sleeping Beauty's castle. Just like Disneyland Paris' dragon. You look at the dioramas and then for the finale, you see a huge caged Maleficent dragon at the end. That would really be something. The could do it. They just have to dig...
:)

Alex S.
05-09-2002, 07:07 PM
Has this been closed since the last MouseAdventure? I remember that it caused some trouble because we were using the walkthrough in the game and then they closed it halfway through the event.

MagicBeliever
05-09-2002, 07:17 PM
If you were a terrorist bomber and you were thinking of putting a bomb in The Happiest Place on Earth, where in the park would YOU put it? The castle is symbolic, centrally located, and a bunch of people surround it at any given time. Those walkways are usually pretty empty, and it would be easy to hide explosives in there.

Just my take on it. ;)

blusilva
05-09-2002, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
Whoa, before you go throwing yourselves down Snow White's well over this, there has been absolutely NO official announcement. I'd wait until we hear something officially before jumping to conclusions. I've seen things disappear from the refurb schedule on the site before without disappearing form the park.
[/SIZE]

Like the Rocket Rods! Uh....no.....uh....ok, like the Submarines! Oh, wait, there WAS an official announcement on that. Something about a brand new wonderful attraction going in there. Uh....no....uh....ok...like The Country Bear Playhouse.....oh yeah, we're supposed to get something back in that spot. Oh, I got it.....Cosmic Waves?

Just joshin'. Really.

Uncle Dick
05-09-2002, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by MagicBeliever
If you were a terrorist bomber and you were thinking of putting a bomb in The Happiest Place on Earth, where in the park would YOU put it? The castle is symbolic, centrally located, and a bunch of people surround it at any given time. Those walkways are usually pretty empty, and it would be easy to hide explosives in there.

Just my take on it. ;)
If I were a terrorist bomber, I'd put a bomb in a place where I could kill the most people. Considering what few visitors actually know about the castle walkthrough, I don't think it'd be a primary target.

zapppop
05-09-2002, 08:39 PM
I think someone mentioned in the past that the Sleeping Beauty walkthrough was in danger of closing due to few guests actually watching through it, prior to Sept. 11. I guess it really has disappeared.

:crying:

MammaSilva
05-09-2002, 08:43 PM
well that is one theory but the key word is 'terror' and what they hope to accomplish most is not only death and destruction but to "terrorize" their victims, it wasn't just about killing those people working in the trade center it was a message to America, if they wanted to make a 'statement' at Disneyland then that castle is the thing to destroy, it is the "heart" of the park, even tho as an "attraction" the walk thru was often over looked, when you walk down main street you see the castle, the first time someone goes to Disneyland, they don't really feel like they are "there" until they have crossed the draw bridge, so while taking out the Castle might not cause the most 'deaths' it would most certainly terrorize all the guests now and in the future, we all go to the park thinking nothing 'bad' can happen, worse case some jerk steals something we were not paying close enough attention to, but it's still one of the 'safest' places in California....take out the castle, take out the faith in the security of Disneyland....not to mention the whole 'icon' issue...

Mouse
05-09-2002, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by zapppop
I think someone mentioned in the past that the Sleeping Beauty walkthrough was in danger of closing due to few guests actually watching through it, prior to Sept. 11. I guess it really has disappeared.

:crying:

Your right Zapppop. I too remember a thread on saving the SB walkthrough that mentioned giving the turnstile a few extra turns upon exiting to boost the counts. It's a shame that they closed it just because of low counts (if that is the reason). It doesn’t seem to have involved much to maintain and served well as a recess from the crowds.

Mouse
05-09-2002, 08:53 PM
I went searching, here (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=822&highlight=Sleeping+Beauty+closed) is the thread on the low counts.

zapppop
05-09-2002, 08:58 PM
CLICK HERE TO SEE THE ORIGINAL THREAD (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=822&highlight=turnstile)

It's dated June 11, 2001.

zapppop
05-09-2002, 08:58 PM
AAH !

Kim, you beat me to it !!!

Kevin Yee
05-09-2002, 11:02 PM
The castle walkthru has indeed been closed since MouseAdventure, and it does have to do with security concerns. MouseAdventure, if you recall, wasn't on September 11, but it was on the day the USA first attacked positions in Afghanistan.

I wouldn't be surprised if the walkthru remained closed for all time.

Darkbeer
05-10-2002, 01:02 AM
Now, the Castle is again listed at Disney.com as being on Rehab, thru January 3rd, 2003. I don't know what's going on, but that seems to be the weirdest date as coming off rehab, Saturday Jan 4th, right AFTER the Christmas Peak Season..... Sounds like somebody said, it will remain closed thru at least the end of the year......

dizneelover
05-10-2002, 01:39 AM
<<If you were a terrorist bomber and you were thinking of putting a bomb in The Happiest Place on Earth, where in the park would YOU put it? The castle is symbolic, centrally located, and a bunch of people surround it at any given time. >>

Someone could do the same type of damage by just placing a bomb or whatever under the castle where the Heraldry shop is... Uh oh, i better be quite now or else Disney just might block off the castle entirely!!

Hyperboy
05-10-2002, 01:49 AM
It may have been Barbies and cotton balls, but I miss it already :crying:

It was cool back when the dragon was real and not a lousy painting.

Chelsie
05-10-2002, 06:24 AM
Does anyone remember when there was an echo chamber in the walkthrough? I think it was supposed to be a "bottomless pit" and when you spoke at it, your own voice echoed. It was cool.

Gemini Cricket
05-10-2002, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by Hyperboy
It may have been Barbies and cotton balls...

LOL!

Originally posted by Hyperboy
It was cool back when the dragon was real and not a lousy painting.
I don't remember the dragon ever being a painting. :confused:
I remember a rather large dragon figure towering over Malibu Ken Prince Charming. :D

zapppop
05-11-2002, 08:23 AM
Before the castle walkthrough closed, the scene with Phillip and Maleficent ( as a dragon ) was being worked on, so a temporary painting was put in the window.

Currently, the cast members in city hall are telling guests the walkthrough will re-open in September. One girl said the steps were being rebuilt.