PDA

View Full Version : Why wasn't there ever a Snow White's Castle?

Pages : [1] 2

HelloMikey
08-29-2006, 07:23 PM
There are 2 Cinderellas and 3 Sleeping beauty castles. Why not Snow White?
And how can the castle be called Cinderella's if indeed it belongs to the King and Prince?

Rockchalker
08-29-2006, 07:51 PM
And how can the castle be called Cinderella's if indeed it belongs to the King and Prince?

In the original plans for Disneyland it was supposed to be called Snow White's Castle, but the Imagineers were working on Sleeping Beauty and the castle was named to promote the movie.

dznyphreak
08-29-2006, 08:20 PM
The only thing I've never understood is the fact that the castle doesn't look like any of the film ones. Cinderella's castle looks more like SB than DL's castle does.

Rockchalker
08-29-2006, 08:29 PM
The only thing I've never understood is the fact that the castle doesn't look like any of the film ones. Cinderella's castle looks more like SB than DL's castle does.

I don't think it is supposed to as it was modeled after Neuschwanstein (the famous castle in Germany)....

In fact, before we invested in a digital camera we went to Europe and this was the only roll of film we lost. So in my scrapbook I have a picture and a postcard of Sleeping Beauty's Castle from DL "standing in."

bradk
08-29-2006, 08:35 PM
ironically enough, the only castle meant to actually look like a cartoon is DLP's. and the reasoning there is that they have so many *real* castles, that it would most likely be insulting and uninteresting to them to try to emulate one.

Another Dimension
08-29-2006, 09:17 PM
Disneylands castle looks like it does because Walt Disney was in charge.

Why so many Disney fans web-wide think their modern personal preferences are somehow more valid than than man whose ultimate dream built that castle, whole park and entire company has never made any sense at all. :confused:

Walt's park, Walt's castle, Walt's choice of theme, Walt's choice of size of said castle.

End of story.

potzbie
08-29-2006, 10:08 PM

Did Jerry Seinfeld just walk in the door?
:)
Forgive me! -- That kind of question sounds like the beginning of a great potential stand-up routine!

"...And what's up with the dwarfs? They own a diamond mine! And they wear ill-fitting clothes! What? They can't afford to mail order a nice polo shirt and some practical cargo pants? Who is managing their cash accounts? Dopey? Tell you what. Give me the diamonds. Let me have a whack at investing precious stones..."

>> insert rim shot here <<
:)

Rockchalker
08-30-2006, 12:20 AM
Disneylands castle looks like it does because Walt Disney was in charge.

Why so many Disney fans web-wide think their modern personal preferences are somehow more valid than than man whose ultimate dream built that castle, whole park and entire company has never made any sense at all. :confused:

Walt's park, Walt's castle, Walt's choice of theme, Walt's choice of size of said castle.

End of story.

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but.......

There are several resources that validates Neuschwanstein as the castle behind Sleeping Beauty's castle at DL. (And, not just opinions and personal preferences of Disney fans.) I would trust these sources before your opinion unless you can validate it...

So is it just by chance that Walt decided to design a roller coaster ride (smaller in scale) in the shape of a mountain location in Zermatt, Switzerland and call it by the same name as this mountain in Zermatt?

The man was brilliant, but I think that mountain was there long before Walt thought about creating DL.

There is nothing wrong with Walt seeking outside sources to create the scope of DL. It is not meant to tarnish his dream....

bradk
08-30-2006, 05:04 AM
i think you might be misunderstanding, at least the way i understood. i think AD was just suggesting that it's not practical to question Disney's decision, not necessarily that Disney pulled the design out of the air himself (I think Ryman is most responsible for the castle anyway - Disney just gave the nod of approval)

along the lines of the suggested matterhorn, it would be like saying 'why the matterhorn? why not k2 or everest?' and the response would be 'because that's what walt wanted, so deal with it.'

Vegitabeta
08-30-2006, 06:21 AM
In that case, why no other princess' castles?

bradk
08-30-2006, 06:42 AM
that is a darn good question.

Sleeping Beauty makes sense in France. I mean. who else?

Tokyo is a whole other ball of wax. Especially since Disney doesn't own it. There it's most likely just the desire to replicate what's already there. My favorite story on that is how when Disney tried to replicate the Snow White and dwarfs sculptures from the grotto in Disneyland, they 'corrected' it by making Snow White much taller than the dwarfs and TDL refused it, saying they wanted it exactly like DL's was.

no personal theory on HKDL though :)

stan4d_steph
08-30-2006, 10:20 AM
Sleeping Beauty makes sense in France. I mean. who else?Belle

dznyphreak
08-30-2006, 10:32 AM
Belle
Beauty and the Beast does take place in France...that came to my mind too. I've heard many stories about which castle "inspired DL's castle." I just went to Spain and saw "the" castle that inspired it, and a friend of mine saw one in Scotland that was "the one." Don't get me wrong, I love the castle, but if it has Sleeping Beauty's name on it, you'd think it would look like the one in the movie or vice versa; not necessarily in size, but in style. That's all I was trying to say.

Vegitabeta
08-30-2006, 11:18 AM
How about male characters' castles? Like King Triton's Palace, or the Beast's castle?:p

junglemom
08-30-2006, 02:10 PM
How about male characters' castles? Like King Triton's Palace, or the Beast's castle?:p
True, but my guess is because the Princesses are the main attractions in the films. Most of the films are named for the Princess.

Sub Maniak
08-30-2006, 08:40 PM
There never really was real detail of the castle in the movie, so I guess that's why. There's nothing to base it from which makes it just a regular old castle.

snowsbeau
08-31-2006, 01:43 PM
that is a darn good question.

Sleeping Beauty makes sense in France. I mean. who else?

Tokyo is a whole other ball of wax. Especially since Disney doesn't own it. There it's most likely just the desire to replicate what's already there. My favorite story on that is how when Disney tried to replicate the Snow White and dwarfs sculptures from the grotto in Disneyland, they 'corrected' it by making Snow White much taller than the dwarfs and TDL refused it, saying they wanted it exactly like DL's was.

no personal theory on HKDL though :)

Even though it is called Sleeping Beauty castle the castle at DLP looks like it could be Belle's. Disney's versions of the stories are based in several European places. Cinderella, The Sleeping Beauty and Beauty and the Beast are French. Snow White is German and Ariel is Danish (a country surrounded by the sea). The possibilities with castles is endless.

BTW, I love your new Avatar! :D

kisroo
08-31-2006, 01:58 PM
True, but my guess is because the Princesses are the main attractions in the films. Most of the films are named for the Princess.

Yup. That and because women rule... ;)

It would have been interesting to see Mulan in HKDL and Belle in DLP.

Great Seinfeld riff, potzbie! :p

disneyroxxx
08-31-2006, 02:03 PM
. Snow White is German and Ariel is Danish (a country surrounded by the sea).

i didnt know that! im part german, so thats cool to know that snow white is supposed to be german! and ariel is danish? i thought she'd be in bermuda (dont ask why). my friend is danish, so she'll be happy to hear that!

anyways, to stay on topic, i think it would have been a lot more interesting if each park had a different disney princess castle. disneyland will have sleeping beauty, WDW cinderella, then i say DLP should have a beauty and the beast castle, and DLT should have an ariel castle (with the whole disney sea thing they have there) and DLHK should have a mulan themed castle.

Rockchalker
08-31-2006, 02:33 PM
Yup. That and because women rule... ;)

It would have been interesting to see Mulan in HKDL and Belle in DLP.

Does anyone else have a problem with Mulan being labeled under the umbrella as a Princess? In Mulan 2 she escoprts 3 princesses to their arranged marriage.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the movie Mulan, but she is a warrior, not a princess. Disney has a lot of female characters that are strong role models, but are not princesses. Mary Poppins, Alice, Wendy, Jessie, and so on...

snowsbeau
09-03-2006, 01:36 PM
i didnt know that! im part german, so thats cool to know that snow white is supposed to be german! and ariel is danish? i thought she'd be in bermuda (dont ask why). my friend is danish, so she'll be happy to hear that!

anyways, to stay on topic, i think it would have been a lot more interesting if each park had a different disney princess castle. Disneyland will have sleeping beauty, WDW Cinderella, then i say DLP should have a beauty and the beast castle, and DLT should have an ariel castle (with the whole disney sea thing they have there) and DLHK should have a mulan themed castle.

The original story of Snow White (at least the most common one) was told by the brothers Grimm, From Germany. Hans Christian Anderson created the Little Mermaid and he is Danish. Disney even acknowledges Snow's origins by having her appear in Germany at Epcot's World Showcase.
Disney has a way of reworking things to be more socially pleasing. If you know any of the original fairy stories, they were all tragic and cruel. Nothing Disney would EVER present without major reconstruction.
I too am part German and I love the fact that my favorite princess is from there too.

dznyphreak
09-03-2006, 02:02 PM
Does anyone else have a problem with Mulan being labeled under the umbrella as a Princess? In Mulan 2 she escoprts 3 princesses to their arranged marriage.
I do!!! Mulan is not a princess. That would either require her to be the daughter of a king or queen (which she is not) or marry a prince (which she didn't). All six of the classic Disney princesses fit these requirements, Snow White, Cinderella, and Belle marrying a prince and Aurora, Ariel, and Jasmine being of royal blood. Mulan is not a princess and therefore does not have anything close to a castle...

Pinocchio
09-04-2006, 05:53 AM
I think the reason some people say Mulan is a princess is because they don't think of a Disney Princess as a princess. The think of her more as the likeable main character of her story.

Does giving some princess multiple castles and other princess none imply in any way that some princesses have more money than others?

bradk
09-04-2006, 06:21 AM
i'm actually surprised ariel even has so much of a grotto considering she's a mother and we all know how disney feels about mothers

dznyphreak
09-04-2006, 10:15 AM
i'm actually surprised ariel even has so much of a grotto considering she's a mother and we all know how disney feels about mothers
Aurora's the only princess with a mother! What's up with that???