PDA

View Full Version : The Sun Wheel is a complete waste of time and space!

Pages : [1] 2

HelloMikey
08-29-2006, 06:52 PM
Okay, I heard so much about this thing on this board. Alot of people said how it was scary to be on the swinging gondolas. Okay, I waited like an hour:eek: to get on one of those, and it was not a ride at all...

Unless the "ride" is the loading and unloading, because although I might have been on it for 15 minutes, the thing never made ONE complete revolution without stopping! So I never was able to experience the cabs failling down. Is it always like this? I was so dissapointed I wasted so much time on this. And DCA was just so cheap compared to DL (in overall atmosphere). :(

dznyphreak
08-29-2006, 06:59 PM
I'm sorry you had such an unenjoyable experience.
The Sun Wheel usually makes stops to load/unload for one revolution, then goes around once w/o stopping. I don't know why this didn't happen for you. Perhaps because the line was so long, they could only afford one revolution per load to prevent an even longer queue.
Many agree as to the lower overall quality of DCA and guest attendance seems to agree as well. To me, DCA seems more shopping- and food-oriented than DL, as tourists would supposedly get a better taste of CA at DCA than at DL.

Whittibo
08-29-2006, 07:02 PM
I have never wasted my time on the Sun Wheel. Never looked like fun just starting/stopping/starting/stopping. :s

Klutch
08-29-2006, 07:11 PM
Sunwheel is indeed a major yawner. The only thing cool about it would be the view from the top. However, it appears lawyers were so afraid of anyone, and anything, dropping from the gondolas, you feel like you're just a chicken nugget inside a giant rotating fry basket.

I'd like to see that thing roll off the Huntington Beach Pier and into the surf a la 1941. Now that would be an attraction. :p

mariafred963
08-29-2006, 07:13 PM
We like DCA. It is just a different experience. Soarin, Sceamin' and TOT are the best and worth the time. We have never done the Sun Wheel my kids are too afraid.

MadasaHatter
08-29-2006, 07:26 PM
I really dig DCA myself (even though nothing will TOP Disneyland)

Keep in mind that DCA is 7 years old (Aprox) and Disneyland is just over 50.

Keep in mind that DCA was supposed to be sort of like a CALIFORNIA EPCOT and that didn't do so hot so now they are trying to make it a California theme park so that will take some time. Lots more Pixar stuff coming and that totally rocks.

(Um....yeah....there is NO shopping at all in Disneyland......)

I agree that TOT , Californian Screamin and Soaring are three of the best attractions period. Grizzly River is an awesome raft ride too....

And yeah, the Sun Wheel kinda' sucks with the loading. But that is how all Ferris Wheels go. It IS cool to look at as a landmark and the views are pretty impressive. Almost anyone I rode it with said it made them scared and sick yet they would ride anything else. I had no problem but then again my sister and I eat clam chowder and then ride the Tea Cups three times in a row. Go figure.

So give DCA a chance. They are going to have candy corn letters soon....HOT!!!

rentayenta
08-29-2006, 07:34 PM
DCa is not Disneyland, that's for sure. But DCA does have some cool things. I never thought I would mutter those words. :eek:

The only thing good about the Sun Wheel is the fabulous view you get of DCA, especially at night.

TowerofTerror
08-29-2006, 07:39 PM
The Sun Wheel is not a waste of space. My girlfriend and I almost flipped when we were in it

bradk
08-29-2006, 07:41 PM
it's technically impossible for you to not have experienced the sliding cabs unless you were on the stationary side.

Rockchalker
08-29-2006, 07:46 PM
I personally like DCA because it is a lot quieter than DL. I easily get anxious in large crowds, so DCA is like a breathe of free air. I would agree that with some exception, the rides at DCA have nothing on DL. Truthfully, how many people are disappointed with Monsters Inc.?

Klutch
08-29-2006, 07:50 PM
Keep in mind that DCA was supposed to be sort of like a CALIFORNIA EPCOT...

Hmmm... No matter hard I try, MadasaHatter, I just can't get my arms around that statement. I'm not nearly the DCA-basher that many people are, but there's absolutely nothing in DCA that's like Epcot. They both have the Soarin' attraction, but that's it.

Perhaps you are referring to the planned "WESTCOT" park. That entire concept was scrapped in favor of DCA. I'm not aware of a single thing from WESTCOT surviving in DCA.

Tinkermommy
08-29-2006, 07:53 PM
Sunwheel is indeed a major yawner.

Then you're doing it wrong!!

You're SUPPOSED to sit inside your cage thinking about how if there is an earthquake (this is California, after all), the wheel will probably tip over and fall flat in the water, and how since you're locked inside a wire cage, if you survive the fall, you'll drown like a trapped rat.

That's how I do it, anyway...:p

Klutch
08-29-2006, 07:54 PM
Then you're doing it wrong!!

You're SUPPOSED to sit inside your cage thinking about how if there is an earthquake (this is California, after all), the wheel will probably tip over and fall flat in the water, and how since you're locked inside a wire cage, if you survive the fall, you'll drown like a trapped rat.

That's how I do it, anyway...:p

OK, if you put it that way, I guess Sunwheel can be thrilling. Of course, with that kind of logic, so is any building in downtown L.A. :D

Tinkermommy
08-29-2006, 07:58 PM
OK, if you put it that way, I guess Sunwheel can be thrilling. Of course, with that kind of logic, so is any building in downtown L.A. :D

Yah, except for the drowning part...

Niele
08-29-2006, 08:22 PM
Oh, wow, what a mental image !!!!! Now I am scared to do the moving cabs.

Darkbeer
08-29-2006, 08:56 PM
Perhaps you are referring to the planned "WESTCOT" park. That entire concept was scrapped in favor of DCA. I'm not aware of a single thing from WESTCOT surviving in DCA.

Soarin' was the one thing from WESTCOT that survived......

Mooshu
08-29-2006, 08:56 PM
LOL....I loved (notice how I said "loved") the Sun wheel. I live for crazy off the wall, high speed, things...but the Sun wheel....I get green :D I hate how you get that feeling, that you're going to fall off the edge...kind of like when you wake up from a dream and it feels like you're falling.

Another Dimension
08-29-2006, 09:09 PM
Hmmm... No matter hard I try, MadasaHatter, I just can't get my arms around that statement. I'm not nearly the DCA-basher that many people are, but there's absolutely nothing in DCA that's like Epcot. They both have the Soarin' attraction, but that's it.

MadasaHatter rocks.

And DCA is very much like Epcot. If you think about it.

Both are 2nd parks, both are companion parks designed to make Guests stay an extra day, both are underpreforming by Disney's gross estimates and both parks are misunderstood and are mostly considered boring and easily skipped by millions of narrow-minded people because they aren't 100% clones of DL or the Magic Kingdom.

Both parks have wider patheways than their elder parks, both parks are still fairly young, especially when compared to their elder parks they were built in the shadows of. Both parks are extrememly fun for what they opened with, what they are, what they have and what they will become in the next 10 years.

Some people only see what they want to see or read, not what is real or really there.

Millions of people HATED DCA before it opened and still HATE the place today, because of a few peoples selfish and over-publicized opinions on the Web ... and because the park still isn't WESCOT or didn't become TDS. Boo hoo!!

It's incredibly pathetic to think how many wonderful memories, fun days, special times have never happened in DCA and how many vacations were 100% without DCA experiences on it's FUN attractions only because of some people on the Internet venomously HATING DCA and others sheeping along and doing nothing but believing whatever they read and not ever deciding for themselves. :p

experiment626
08-29-2006, 09:31 PM
While not a complete waste of space, I was very disapointed the one and only time we went in a swinging gondola. I expected it to be "more." Stop, start, Stop, Start. Not that fun.

ThemeParkAddictOfOC
08-29-2006, 09:33 PM
Okay, I heard so much about this thing on this board. Alot of people said how it was scary to be on the swinging gondolas. Okay, I waited like an hour:eek: to get on one of those, and it was not a ride at all...

Unless the "ride" is the loading and unloading, because although I might have been on it for 15 minutes, the thing never made ONE complete revolution without stopping! So I never was able to experience the cabs failling down. Is it always like this? I was so dissapointed I wasted so much time on this. And DCA was just so cheap compared to DL (in overall atmosphere). :(
I have ridden the Sunwheel no less than 20 times. I have never seen them not do a full revolution after loading the last car (#24, I believe). So, if that happened, it was a fluke.

Next time, go early. There is usually no wait or very little wait before 11 am.

The red cars never swing. The purple and orange cars always do. :confused:

r-we-there-yet
08-29-2006, 11:13 PM
I guess it is not technically funny, but my wife got sick (talking green in the face) after riding the ferris wheel (the cars that don't slide). I'm kind of a roller coaster junky, so this hit me real funny. She didn't laugh though. I didn't ride it then because the little girl wanted to play boardwalk games (for that matter, I guess I have never ridden it).:)

wardkimballfan
08-30-2006, 03:35 AM
I went on it the last time I visted DLR (last year). I enjoyed it well enough, but it was a little bit scary (I'm not always so great with heights). My sister, who was with me, was freaking out a little when the car would jiggle. And we weren't in one of the swinging cars, either. We'd have both had a heart attack if we'd gone in one of those. I don't know if I'd go quite so far as to call it a waste of space, though. It's a decent enough ferris wheel.

DCA as a whole can't compare to Disneyland, but strictly on its own merits it's not bad. With a few notable exceptions like Soarin', ToT, and the animation building, though, it's pretty much just another amusement park. A nicely made one, but it would be more impressive if it was in another state. WestCOT would have been worthy of being next door to Disneyland, but DCA, nice as it is on its own, suffers in the inevitable comparison.

Another Dimension
08-30-2006, 03:49 AM
The Sun Wheel is a complete waste of time and space!

It could be shops! ... :(

wwithers
08-30-2006, 04:17 AM
I have ridden the Sunwheel no less than 20 times. I have never seen them not do a full revolution after loading the last car (#24, I believe). So, if that happened, it was a fluke.

It loaded one revolution then went around one complete revolution when we rode it.

As a side note...

Ferris wheels are evil instruments of the devil. :eek:

Whittibo
08-30-2006, 05:39 AM
So give DCA a chance. They are going to have candy corn letters soon....HOT!!!

I thought this topic was about the SUN WHEEL, not DCA. Nobody really was complaining about DCA. (in this thread anyway).

I like DCA. It's a nice break from the crowds at DL and they have some more intense rides.