PDA

View Full Version : DCA special things to do

SeansMom
08-29-2006, 11:48 AM
I now have a list of fifty special things to do in Disneyland. And just TWO for DCA :confused: . Anybody have any special things to see/do in DCA? I have: 1) Mr. Potato Head stuff from the Train toy store, and 2) Visit the Animation Studio.

Are there any special touches in this park, like the "magic" apple by Snow White's, or Princess Storytelling by the castle???

I'd love to have a list of at least 25 fun things to do in DCA, outside of the main attractions.

DangerMouse
08-29-2006, 12:40 PM
I think you'll be hard pressed to find 25 special extra things in DCA. The imagineers just didn't take the time or money for the special touches like they did in DL.

Here are a couple I can think of:

Get a FP for Soarin, then walk right up the trail to GRR and immediately get another FP. They are disconnected so you can hold 2 fastpasses at the same time. (really special, eh?) :rolleyes:

Hmmmmmm, what else. . . . Ok, I lied, I can only come up with one. :p

SeansMom
08-29-2006, 02:29 PM
You know, we've always enjoyed DCA, but after (easily) coming up with a list of fifty things to do in DL, I thought I could easily do at least half that number for DCA. So far....no luck.

But, DangerMouse, that's still a good tip!!! Three down, 22 to go.....

Anybody else???????????????

LLevy
08-29-2006, 02:44 PM
well- we enjoyed playing with the "rusty scupper" or what ever the half a boat is called over on the paradise pier area is. they have moving water jets and a water cannon you can use on targets.

scope out the nifty things at the muppet 3-d- check under the matt at the enterence.., read all the movie posters

also read all the posters at the bugs life waiting area

sit by the end corner of the raft ride and watch to see who gets caught by the tricky geyser in the middle of the stream.. sometimes they get *SOAKED*

get a soft serve cone way out at the back by the coaster launch area, and watch the launchs while you eat it.

get a photo of you in a fishing net full of fish..

read the signs on the bathrooms over by the mexican restaurant.

LL

Tinkermommy
08-29-2006, 02:54 PM
I love DCA! Not as much as Disneyland, but love it just the same.

Immediate thoughts: first, I'd break the Animation Studio into more than one blanket item. The animation class all by itself is an awesomely fun thing to do. Drawing cartoons in the Sorcerers Workshop can be a lot of fun, if you go with someone else and take time to make kewl cartoons and play them in the zoetrope and praxinoscope. Oh, yeah, and learning the names of all the animation devices and playing with them is fun! Walk through the room where they show sketches and sculptures of the characters and how they might have looked -- that's fascinating! When it's really hot and you're getting tired, park on one of the couches in the middle of the studio and watch the clips -- and sing along. So...that makes at least four right there, without counting Beast's Library and the voice-dubbing thingies in the room that follows it.

5-stagger across the rope bridges in Redwood Creek -- scary for me!
6-make rubbings of the animal foot prints in the same place (weird, but fun!)
7-Go in the cave in Redwood Creek and put your hand on the wall to see what animal you're like
8-Walk all the way through the Tower of Terror, and get off just before you board. You get to walk through a long, empty hallway that is almost as scary as the ride!
9-Take the tortilla tour, and really pay attention to the film, the visuals and how the machines work. Maseca! Enjoy your tortilla, and get some recipe cards. Make one at home!
10-Get a bread bowl filled with soup, and sit outside to eat it. Feed the little birdies. Then take your picture in the fish basket.
11-Go see Golden Dreams. Nobody does that.
12-Play the fishing game on the pier. It's two bucks, but you are guaranteed to walk away with a stuffed fish. But you won't know what size until you get it!
13-Stand across from the boarding area for Screamin', and watch the riders as they await the launch. Some of the expressions and reactions are priceless!
14-Do the same under the Maliboomer. It's fun to watch people's faces!
15-Watch the Cars parade. Short, and cute.
16-Go on a mission to get a ball from Block Party. (So far, this one has eluded us.)
17-Look at all of the pictures and read all of the captions inside Soarin'.
18-Ride Monsters until you get Roz to notice YOU.
19-See Aladdin from the last row of the front ground section. See if you can get him to wave at you when he goes by on the elephant.
20-Look for hidden Mickey's.
21-Explore all of the little exhibits around the wharf and Bugs land. There are a lot of little things you may not have noticed.
22-Get a hot dog from the stand in Hollywood backlot, and offer to share your table when there aren't enough. Talk to the strangers who sit with you.
23-Go see Playhouse Disney at least once. Watch the kids in the audience -- some of them are more fun than the show.
24-On a chilly day, go sit in the lobby of the Grand Californian (leaving through the park exit, of course). Sit in front of the fireplace.

I'll stop there and let somebody else come up with the last one...LOL

CarlieB
08-29-2006, 03:10 PM
One for the groen ups, but we really enjoyed having a quiet drink (and some appetizers!) outside at the Cove Bar, watching the cars on Screamin' and just generally soaking up the sun and atmosphere:)

bradk
08-29-2006, 03:28 PM
i'll tell you, one of the COOLEST things i've seen in DCA...

you know how all the attractions are lit up at night at paradise pier? they're not just lit up, they're 'reacting' to what's going on.

for example, on screamin, right before a car goes into the mickey loop, the lights in the loop will turn off, then light up in succession as the car goes through.

the maliboomer lights up as the vehicle hits the 'top' and then gradually fades as the attraction winds down.

the sun wheel does a lot too, but i haven't quite figured out what its deal is yet :)

i think the miner 49ers are not to be missed.

and of course the free amazing tortillas at mission tortilla (i always beg for 2).

a bug's land is really great too. a LOT of attention to detail in flik's fun fair (when i posted photos, people responded that they never noticed the benches are made from 'popsicle sticks'). and the chew chew train is the best.. smelling.

CarlieB
08-29-2006, 03:38 PM

Oooh, agreed! They're great:)

JookyG
08-29-2006, 03:59 PM
I heard a good one in another thread. I haven't been back since I heard this, but will be at DLR this week, so I plan to try it.

Wear sandals on Soarin'. Once you're seated, take them off and leave them on the floor. Apparantly the wind on your bare feet feels really cool and heightens the sensation of flying.

Oh and I think I'm going to make a tradition of riding Heimlich's Chew Chew Train every time I visit. It's a riot! It kills me. Bug's Land is my fave area in DCA because it's got some of the best, most imaginative theming.

jazzysmom
08-29-2006, 04:03 PM
Talk with Crush is great.

Lunch at Airel's Grotto is one of our favorite parts of DCA.

Burrbank Ice Cream rocks.

And I am a freak for the flour tortillas.

Pat-n-Eil
08-29-2006, 04:03 PM
• Get a churro and enjoy it on the bench in front of the Redwood challenge trail while watching the water wheel of GRR.

• Have a meal at the Wine Country Trattoria - I feel that is one of the best kept secrets in the park. Sit down dining service.

• Take a picture in front of the waterfall area along the GRR trail.

• Enjoy a soft serve ice cream cone while watching folks take off on California Screamin'

• Spot the markings on the ground in Condor flats - they are laid out just like a real airport and going in all of the correct directions.

• If there is a blues band playing at the wharf, visit Rita's Margaritas and enjoy them for awhile.

annieb727
08-29-2006, 05:02 PM
i don't have any ideas, but i'd like to see your list of 50 things for DL...;) - maybe you can start another thread and share your list with us

amarvel
08-29-2006, 05:16 PM
I'm going to make a tradition of riding Heimlich's Chew Chew Train every time I visit. It's a riot!

can adults ride without children?? since i am pregnant I am looking for rides I can go while hubby rides the bigger rides :)

bradk
08-29-2006, 05:36 PM
i'm not aware of any attraction at disney parks where children are required (unless adults just can't fit). so yes, as an adult, you can ride the chew chew train without children. it's not the largest seat mind you, so depending on just how pregnant you are, it might be uncomfortable.

it's also bound to make you very, very, very hungry :)

amarvel
08-29-2006, 07:11 PM
well i am only 3 months pregnant so i'd porbably fit, and i love being ungry :) a great excuse to eat more disney food :)

ThemeParkAddictOfOC
08-29-2006, 09:01 PM
Seasons of the Vine.

The first time that we went to see it, we could not locate it. I asked a CM who was on the patio near the wine bar. He told us that they did the last show before the parade. I guess that the disappointed look on my face inspired him. He and another CM opened the venue and gave my family a private showing. Very neat!

Also at the Mission Tortilla factory, you can get on the scale and see how much you weigh in "tortillas". I weigh a lot of tortillas. :p

P.S. My kids want to see Golden Dreams every time we are in the park for some reason. :cool:

Did somebody mention "New Haul Fishery" yet? It's the boardwalk game where everyone wins a prize every time. Very good for the 2-7 year old crowd.

Ooooohhhhhh! Look for the cats under the engine of the train. They come out at night. There are a lot of them. (>20 I think.)

ThemeParkAddictOfOC
08-29-2006, 09:02 PM
can adults ride without children?? since i am pregnant I am looking for rides I can go while hubby rides the bigger rides :)

You can ride on the non-swinging Gondola of the Sunwheel too. (Probably Flik's Flyers is fine, but don't quote me on that one.

johnx112
08-29-2006, 10:14 PM
Hold up, I want to hear the list of the 50 cool things to do at Disneyland!

Wendi
08-29-2006, 10:15 PM
Seasons of the Vine.

The first time that we went to see it, we could not locate it. I asked a CM who was on the patio near the wine bar. He told us that they did the last show before the parade. I guess that the disappointed look on my face inspired him. He and another CM opened the venue and gave my family a private showing. Very neat!

I had a similar experience... I was determined to finally see this show on our last trip. I got there and it was closed, but they told me to come back later. When I came back, it was still desolate, but a kind elderly gentleman asked if I was interested in seeing the show and he opened it up for us - just me, my son and my brother. It was sweet.

My recommendation is to do the wine tasting... I still haven't done this, it's been on my to-do-list for the past three trips!!! I WILL do it next time!!!

My other recommendation is to get a sliced caramel apple - they used to have them at a little window in Disneyland and they're gone... but I found them in DCA!!!

ThemeParkAddictOfOC
08-29-2006, 11:25 PM
My other recommendation is to get a sliced caramel apple - they used to have them at a little window in Disneyland and they're gone... but I found them in DCA!!!

Do you mean, "Main St Cone Shop? I bought one there in June 2006.

Syndrome
08-30-2006, 09:22 AM
hmm, can only think of a few off the top of my head.:

* Visit the animation building after a long, tiring day and sit down on the floor and watch the film clips.
* Have way too much to drink at Ariel's Grotto and go on Screamin' or HTH.

Wendi
08-30-2006, 10:19 AM
Do you mean, "Main St Cone Shop? I bought one there in June 2006.

Yes... wow, good to know. Every time I've been there in the past two or maybe three years it has been closed up!

SeansMom
08-30-2006, 11:09 AM
I love DCA! Not as much as Disneyland, but love it just the same. I'll stop there and let somebody else come up with the last one...LOL

Tinkermommy, I am SOOOO impressed!!! I was giving this some thought, and I think we just don't spend much time in DCA, so have always missed most of the little things that make it special. This trip, though, I think we'll have more time and we'll try to complete at least most of what's on that list.

ghoofie
08-31-2006, 02:54 PM

Some of them were also with the barncats. I liked the barncats because they let me sit in on bass.