PDA

View Full Version : Is Labor Day Weekend Really That Bad?

Pages : [1] 2

1004ys2
08-29-2006, 10:04 AM
Hello,

I thought I'd surprise my family and take them down to DL this weekend, and of course it's Labor Day Weekend. My DD is 2 1/2 and she's really into Mickey, Donald, and all the characters.

Am I making a mistake by going this weekend? Is it as bad as some have said? BTW, I plan to leave Friday late afternoon from Burlingame, CA.

Everyone's thoughts are appreciated.

Many regards,
Steven

amarvel
08-29-2006, 01:40 PM
I went last year over labor day weekend, all three days and thought it was fine. I was able to ride and see shows just fine. I actually was surprised at home uncrowded it was for a holiday weekend. I went this April just before Easter and now that was HORRIBLE. Go and have fun, dont worry!

wardkimballfan
08-29-2006, 01:41 PM
Just make sure you bring a compass, a GPS finder in case you get separated from your group, enough sets of walkie-talkies for everyone in your party as a backup, trail mix and energy bars, and plenty of butter or vegetable shortening to grease yourself up with so you can slip through the intense crowds more easily.

cwillis
08-30-2006, 10:54 AM
the fact that i can book a disneyland resort hotel this weekend, but not that UEA week in october seems to be a guage that labor day weekend will be less crowded than other times indeed.

adamvonwillis
08-30-2006, 11:24 AM
i agree... you are very smart cwillis!

Syndrome
08-30-2006, 01:13 PM
I've gone for about 3 labor day's in a row and the crowds have always been fine. It didn't seem worse than any other weekend I've been.

The Real Cinderella
08-30-2006, 03:13 PM
I am going this Labor Day as well. Hope it isn't too bad. But let's be honest, crowds are part of the ambiance. A deserted Disneyland is a little unnerving ...

Gone2Disneyland
08-30-2006, 03:33 PM
Seems to me Labor Day is when all the out-of-town vacationers' vacations should be done, since school is either in session or starting soon. So it would make sense that this weekend would be comparatively light as far as crowds go.

capst
08-30-2006, 04:21 PM
I booked a room two weeks ago at Best Western Park Place Inn for Fri and Sat. When I rechecked the price last Sunday, it had gone down from 143 per night to 107 so I rebooked. :fez: That tells me it won't be too crowded.

1004ys2
08-31-2006, 10:51 AM
Thanks everyone....I've booked the HOJO and am looking forward to it. My daughter is still not even aware we're going.

Syndrome
08-31-2006, 03:20 PM
hehe, see ya there. We're driving in tomorrow night! woohoo!
:)

tonytone
08-31-2006, 04:08 PM
We'll be leaving early Friday morning from the Sacramento area...hopefully in enough time so that my wife can visit an old classmate of hers who lives in the area.

And no, that is not the main reason we're heading down to SoCal, of course...it just happened to work out that way!

kiowa
09-01-2006, 08:27 AM
I wasn't plannning to do anything this weekend, but since i checked for hotel rooms in the Disneyland area (I work for marriott and get cheap cheap rooms) I was able to find the fairfield inn across the street for only $39 (with my discount) This hotel is NEVER available for employee discounts. I grabbed it, this lead me to think, is Disneyland not going to be that crowded this weekend? Any ideas or predictions?

nsaul1211
09-01-2006, 08:54 AM
I think that it will be a little busy compared to most of the summer. However most of the guests will be locals I believe because school is back in and the summer vacations are over so most out of towners have already headed back home. I've gone this week and the crowds have been very light compared to normal summer crowds. Heck I got on Space Mountain in 10 minutes yesterday at 3 PM!

MermaidHair
09-01-2006, 03:15 PM
This thread is killing me! We have no big plans this weekend except for getting stuff done around the house. I would love love love to just be spontanteous and pack up the kids and go. DH voted no but I know if I put the pressure on he would cave. My question is how horrible do you think the drive home would be on Monday? If we went I would like to go to the park on Monday so when would the best time to leave to drive back to the Bay area be? Your answer could change my whole weekend.

nursemelis374
09-01-2006, 03:47 PM
We went the Friday following Labor Day last year and the park was the least crowded I had seen it in years. Even at 6 at night it was still pretty empty.

Needless to say, we will be going next Friday!

snappy
09-01-2006, 08:58 PM
It's been officially Jinxed. Disneyland this weekend is going to hit an all time high in attendance. People trying to catch the 50th before it leaves next month. Final blow out before school starts.

MrsG
09-02-2006, 03:40 PM
We tried to go this morning (Saturday) for a couple of hours. We parked in the Timon lot. The crowds for the bag check was crazy. We were standing, not moving, for 15 minutes and we were still standing on the bumpy part where the tram lets out. The inside in the esplenade was even worse. We decided to go to Newport Beach instead. I thought the beach on Labor Day weekend would be packed, but it was wonderful!

ThemeParkAddictOfOC
09-02-2006, 09:02 PM
I did not go today, but I was thinking that it must have been REALLY hot at DLR this afternoon. High 90's?

1004ys2
09-04-2006, 06:27 PM
We just got back from our Labor Day weekend at DLR. To be honest, I think the weather was the worst part of the weekend. It was extremely hot! Since we couldn't go on the big attractions like Pirates, Space Mountain, etc. I can't speak of the lines, but the lines for the "toddler" rides werent' all that bad. I'd say the longest wait was Peter Pan at close to 45min. What we did was go in the am, then went back to the hotel at around 2pm for our DD's nap. We then headed back around 6pm til closing. Schedule worked out well, and we stayed out of the heat during the peak periods. Problem was, many others probably had the same idea.I did go on Pirates, alone, and there was no wait. I went during the first showing of Fantasmic. During the day, I think the wait was over an hour long.

The drive back wasn't so bad at all....but I do know, the drive down I-5 is probably a nightmare. I saw a brush fire start on the southbound side of I-5 right at the base of Tejon pass.

We all had so much fun we're planning on going again probably during Christmas time! Thanks everyone for your feedback and help on this.

RagtimePrince
09-04-2006, 09:54 PM
Saturday was fairly wild, but Sunday and especially today were very surprisingly light... and by fairly wild, I mean Saturday was about like a July/summer weekday.

What is a "DD" btw?

DianeM
09-04-2006, 10:13 PM
I'm pretty sure it's "Darling Daughter". Although I suppose it could be "Dreadful Daughter". I'm betting on the first.

What is a "DD" btw?

Syndrome
09-05-2006, 09:14 AM
Oh man, we got back in last night. The crowds didn't seem too bad - just like any other weekend. But man, it was HOT! And this is coming from an Arizonan. We ended up leaving the park early on Saturday and went down to Huntington Beach. The weather was MUCH better!

LOYL2DZNY
09-05-2006, 12:45 PM
Since we couldn't go on the big attractions like Pirates, Space Mountain, etc. the wait was over an hour long.

Just out of curiousity, why didn't you go on pirates all together? Is the baby scared of the ride?

1004ys2
09-08-2006, 01:39 PM
I wasn't sure if my daughter would be afraid of it due to the changes. I wasn't too sure of what changes were made and I didn't want to stand in line and have gone on the ride to have my daughter freak out. In all honesty, it's not worth an hour wait. Go on it when Fantasmic is showing. There are no lines.