PDA

View Full Version : Thunder Mountain vs. Space Mountain

dohgusgus
08-28-2006, 08:41 PM
okay, I'm a rollercoaster-avoidin sissy. I like thunder mt railroad because it doesnt go too fast, how fast would you say is space mt, compared to big thunder? Please let me know, I'm going for my birthday with 4 of my friends and i don't want to be the only one NOT going on it when it may be okay for me. Thanks.

carolyn
08-28-2006, 08:49 PM
I'm not sure of the speed. It might seem faster because the trains are smaller and it's totally dark inside. On Thunder, if you sit in the front, the train slows down to take the turns. That doesn't happen on Space. Still, I consider Space a pretty mild coaster. It's mostly turns and a few short-ish drops. The height restriction is 40" - 3 or 4 year olds could go on it. It can't be that scary! :)

dohgusgus
08-28-2006, 08:50 PM
I'll have to take your word as well as my family's word on it. It'll be my birthday mission, oh besides getting a birthday pin from city hall :)

IdahoMike
08-28-2006, 09:01 PM
My 3 y/o went on it twice in June, he had a blast! I think you should be just fine.

DianeM
08-28-2006, 09:35 PM
I think SM is *much* more intense. I love it, my husband hates it. I love the feeling of not knowing what is happening next. I just "trust Disney" and enjoy the ride. My husband says he can't prepare his body for the curves and it makes him queasy. He has tried several times, but says he won't ever go on it again. It seems like a very smooth, fast ride to me. He finds it too twisty. It's funny, because we are both cowards when it comes to really high drops (we wussed out of nearly everything at Knotts) and I won't go on Indiana Jones becaue it's too jerky. I don't know what scares you about roller coasters. If you worry about high drops or vertigo, then SM is probably safe for you. It doesn't have any big drops, and you don't have much a chance to have vertigo since you can't see any of the rails. I don't think you ever even go upside down. But SM does feel very fast, even though I suspect that part of that is illusion due to the fact that you don't know what it happening. Some people like that feeling, others hate it. Personally, I hope you go on it. It's my favorite roller coaster, ever. If you don't like it, then at least you won't have to wonder wht you are missing.

okay, I'm a rollercoaster-avoidin sissy. I like thunder mt railroad because it doesnt go too fast, how fast would you say is space mt, compared to big thunder? Please let me know, I'm going for my birthday with 4 of my friends and i don't want to be the only one NOT going on it when it may be okay for me. Thanks.

herta28
08-28-2006, 10:48 PM
Speed-wise, they are almost identical (both top out in 28-32 mph zone). However, as DianeM stated above, Space seems more "intense" because of the darkness factor and the tighter turns.

dohgusgus
08-29-2006, 11:04 AM
thanks for your replies, I am going to have to just suck it up and DO IT! hahah, that way i can say I have ridden everything @ Disneyland, well almost everything, I cant get to those space rockets in tomorrowland the line NEVER ends, but its kinda like dumbo so I dont feel the need to wait.

boots & saddles
08-30-2006, 11:07 AM
If you were to take the roof off of Space Mountain you would be shocked on how small the coaster is. What make it scary and appear faster than it really is is the darkness and the lights going past you.

Don't be ashamed of being a little intimidated by the faster scarier rides. Since I was a kid I have always been a little chicken of the big ones my self, but I have pretty good reason too I guess, after loosing my lunch on some State Fair rides a few times. Even as an adult I won’t go on the really big coasters or anything that turns you upside down. Nothing more embarrassing than a 47 year old man loosing his cookies behind a bush with his wife trying not to look like she knows him and a 5-year old son saying come on Dad lets ride it again. I have been told it may be an inner-ear problem that makes me go green faster than others. Maybe, maybe not, but at least that’s a good excuse I use. Kinda like the old “I’m allergic to broccoli” excuse.

I don’t think you will find the rides at DL too bad, but it looks like DCA may have a number of rides I would think twice about. I will find out in about a week.

Mr. Sticky
08-30-2006, 01:15 PM
Congratulations Doghusgus, I don’t think you will regret it!

While the darkness and sharp turns do make SM seem more intense, the reality is it doesn’t go that fast or drop you that far. I recall vividly my first time ever riding SM. I was pretty terrified, but I can honestly say the fear I put myself through while waiting in line was much worse than the ride itself!

I’m a bit of a chicken myself. I think the “Tower of Terror” is very appropriately named, and I get a little queasy just typing the name! But Space Mountain has far more excitement than terror, and it is now one of my all time favorite rides.

You can do it Doghusgus! I think you are in for a real treat!

disneyroxxx
08-31-2006, 09:28 AM
im a big thrill seeker, but i always have a blast on those two rides. i personally like BTMRR better, but space mountain is really fun. i dont think its all that scary, although you could get queesy since its in the dark, and you are doing a lot of turns. other than motion sickness, its a blast. and you can buy the picture to prove you went on!