PDA

View Full Version : Piano Players

Gutz
08-13-2006, 08:19 PM
Does anyone know when Alan is playing the piano at Disneyland these days? I sure miss him on the weekend nights. No disrespect to the guys who have been playing those nights because they are very talented and personable as well. But Alan had quite a following, so I'm just wondering what's up?

Gutz
08-27-2006, 11:07 PM
Can anyone shed some light on the change in the schedule of the Main Street piano players over the past couple months and when/if Alan Thompson is playing these days. I sure miss him on the weekend nights.

Gizmata
08-29-2006, 09:41 AM
Last Friday and Saturday (8/26) the Piano was covered everytime I went by in the evening. I did see other piano players on other days but didnt pay much attention as they werent playing very loud or fast.

Sorry I dont have better info for you.

disneyperson
08-29-2006, 12:35 PM
We were in DL August 16-20 and although we were hoping to see Alan, we never did. I too would like to know if he's still playing there.

Gutz
09-14-2006, 11:49 AM
Just wondering if anyone has an update on the schedule for the Main Street piano players. Is Alan Thompson still playing and, if so, when? Did he happen to be there this past weekend?

WestSider
09-15-2006, 07:39 AM
I have just recently heard, from what should be a very reliable source, that Alan is no longer working at DL.

What I was told is that he expressed an opinion (outside of the park, and while off duty) that was critical of park management. My source said they either know or believe that park mangement constantly searches the web, and other sources, for any info on the park, and that they don't tolerate ANY criticism or dissent from employees - so Alan was let go. (A warning to CMs who post: please don't ever reveal any info that could be used to personally identify you, at least if you don't want to lose your job at DLR.)

(If anyone has any additional info, either supportive of or contradictory to what I heard -please post; I too was a big fan of Alan's extraordinary talents, and am heartbroken to think I might never hear him perform again, at least not at DL.)

WestSider
09-15-2006, 08:25 AM
I have just recently heard, from what should be a very reliable source, that Alan is no longer working at DL.

What I was told is that he expressed an opinion (outside of the park, and while off duty) that was critical of park management. My source said they either know or believe that park mangement constantly searches the web, and other sources, for any info on the park, and that they don't tolerate ANY criticism or dissent from employees - so Alan was let go. (A warning to CMs who post: please don't ever reveal any info that could be used to personally identify you, at least if you don't want to lose your job at DLR.)

(If anyone has any additional info, either supportive of or contradictory to what I heard -please post; I too was a big fan of Alan's extraordinary talents, and am heartbroken to think I might never hear him perform again, at least not at DL.)

Gutz
09-15-2006, 08:32 AM
If that is true, which it appears to be, that is very disappointing and sad. Alan was a huge reason why I've made so many visits to the park. I got so much pleasure just relaxing and listening to this incredibly talented musician. He continued to amaze me and I always got a kick out of watching people's reactions as they looked on when he was doing his fast numbers. He obviously had a big following as evidenced by the many regulars who gathered around the piano on weekend nights. His interaction with the people was also very special. What a tremendous loss for Disneyland (and for us). Does this mean I'll never hear his Haunted Mansion song again? At least I have his CD so I can still hear his music, but of course that's not the same. (I wonder if they've pulled his CD's from the Disney shop). Hopefully things can be smoothed out and Alan will be back. Again, soooo disappointing!

TikiGeek
09-15-2006, 08:48 AM
http://www.fourhandpiano.com/ is Alan's offical site. I don't know how up to date it is or even if he is still monitoring email from the site.

If the rumor is true, that's a darn shame - Alan is part of Rod Miller's legacy. We don't see Alan much because we go to the park during the week, rarely on weekends.

I really miss Rod Miller. :( We talk to him now and then but it's not the same as spending time with him at the park.

WestSider
09-15-2006, 08:57 AM
I was there on Labor Day Monday, and the "Four Hand Piano" CD was still in 20th Century Music. But I hadn't heard this news yet. I'm going to make sure to get a copy soon, in case they remove them - especially with changes coming to that store (removing the Wonderland Music machines at the least - who knows what else they may decide to do while they're making changes.)

I would encourage all fans of Alan to stop by City Hall to share their thoughts. Also, please ask for one of the comment forms, and write your request for Alan's return down on paper. When I've just said things verbally to the (often very young and inexperienced) CM on duty, they always smile and say "thank you for your comments" - but nothing else; I think they are just trying to appease guests and no note is made of verbals. A written comment is probably more likely to make it up the ladder to park management.

We'll have to hope that enough requests for Alan's return might make management relent and allow his return (assuming he WANTS to return); either that, or wait for a change in leadership. (Though my source didn't have much good to say about several of the key people involved in this, or park mangement in general; My source was NOT Alan, btw, for any DLR management who may read this.)

Gutz
09-15-2006, 09:31 AM
In case you weren't aware, Alan has a solo CD titled "Flight of Hands" which can be purchased at www.cdbaby.com.
And, yes, his fans should express their feelings at City Hall. Obviously we don't know the details of what went on between Alan and management, so who knows if his return is something that would even be considered. Like you said, even if he is asked to come back, who knows if he would want to return? Hopefully we'll see Alan at the keys of the Disneyland piano again sometime soon.

potzbie
09-15-2006, 04:39 PM
Coke Corner, or Refreshment Corner, or whatever corner the future name will be, is one of my favorite spots because of the live (!) piano playing of old-time ragtime.

If I had my druthers, the players would be listed in the paper schedule-of-events, or listed on the Disneyland web site calendar.

I'll repeat my request:
When posting a trip report, be sure to include the status of the piano player (who, what, when...).

Those are a few of my favorite things.
(Say, that sounds like a song!)
:)

Reegster
09-15-2006, 07:02 PM
Hands down the best piano player DL has had in the last 20 years was Jim Hession. After a long stint in NOS, he was last featured in the lobby of GCH. He finally had enough of middle management politics and the long commute from San Diego County and in 2003 he moved to the New Orleans area to play with several different ragtime groups.

cstephens
09-16-2006, 08:35 AM

Don't know if this is the same situation - it probably isn't since what I'm thinking of happened quite some time ago - but he posted a fairly scathing diatribe about the guests under his own full name on a board on which I participate. Quite a number of us were taken aback at the post. If he has that opinion, that's fine, but it's not cool to post. I was thinking that if I was in a position of control, I'd either fire him myself or at least give him a severe reprimand.

disneyperson
09-16-2006, 11:28 AM
I had a feeling that Alan was gone for good when we couldn't find him last August. I'll miss him. We used to chat and he'd sit with us at our table during his break. He always played the Haunted Mansion music for us. He let our piano playing friend take a turn at the keys once and then pretended to worried about his job when our friend turned out to be nearly as good as him.:D I know he must have gotten tired of people continually asking him where Rod was, but he answered in a friendly and good natured manner.

The piano guy that was there in August was OK. Just that. Nothing special. Ho Hum.

No more Rod.
No more Alan.
I miss them both.:crying: