PDA

View Full Version : A million wishes come true

DMTNT88
08-27-2006, 12:44 PM
Just came back from WDW and have been told of something new Disney is doing starting October 1. We took the Keys to the Kingdom tour, which by the way, I totally recommend it. It takes you backstage and even to the first floor of the Magic Kingdom. Anyways our tourguide which is the type which knows everything about Disney told us of this new event that Disnwy will do. It will take part at DLR, WDW, and Disney Paris only. Disney will make 1 million wishes come true. The way he explained it was that cast members will randomly chose guest and will hand them papers that will tell them what wish came true. He gave examples of golden fastpasses, comped dinners, comped merchandise, lifetime passses, cruise giveaways, and if that is not enough, they are going to choose a family a night to stay at the remodled Disney suite at the Disneyland Hotel. And in WDW they will choose a family a night to stay at the "hidden apartment" in the castle in the Magic Kingdom. The biggest giveaway will be the "Keys to the Kingdom" prize which will be 4 hours in the Magic Kingdom all by themselves. They will have the park to them selves.

We are excited about this. How about you??

Malcon10t
08-27-2006, 12:59 PM
Just came back from WDW and have been told of something new Disney is doing starting October 1. We took the Keys to the Kingdom tour, which by the way, I totally recommend it. It takes you backstage and even to the first floor of the Magic Kingdom. Anyways our tourguide which is the type which knows everything about Disney told us of this new event that Disnwy will do. It will take part at DLR, WDW, and Disney Paris only. Disney will make 1 million wishes come true. The way he explained it was that cast members will randomly chose guest and will hand them papers that will tell them what wish came true. He gave examples of golden fastpasses, comped dinners, comped merchandise, lifetime passses, cruise giveaways, and if that is not enough, they are going to choose a family a night to stay at the remodled Disney suite at the Disneyland Hotel. And in WDW they will choose a family a night to stay at the "hidden apartment" in the castle in the Magic Kingdom. The biggest giveaway will be the "Keys to the Kingdom" prize which will be 4 hours in the Magic Kingdom all by themselves. They will have the park to them selves.

We are excited about this. How about you??Yep, sounds like fun. My understanding is it is computer generated. The CM will be sent to a specific location (bench 63 or table 31 at Cafe Oleans, or the guest entering the turnstile at exactly this time on teh Mark Twain ) and the person in the specific spot will win whatever the gift is.

annieb727
08-27-2006, 01:44 PM
I wonder how many out of that one million will be "you've won a FREE Churro"...

but those other gifts sound really cool! wow...if they're only doing it at those three resorts, and they do it for one year, that means that they will be giving away 913 prizes per day at each resort - that's pretty cool. I wonder if they'll do it that way - same number given away each day - or if they'll give out more during the busy times like christmas and summertime...

kiwifuz
08-27-2006, 02:41 PM
Hmm I'm pretty sure in other thread it says they're only doing this at WDW & DL, and 1/3 of the prizes go to DL the other 2/3 to WDW... hmm

Annie, I read (I believe over on another site) that they've scrapped some of the churro & burger prizes in lieu of lanyards & mouse ears due to the online uproar.

annieb727
08-27-2006, 03:36 PM
Annie, I read (I believe over on another site) that they've scrapped some of the churro & burger prizes in lieu of lanyards & mouse ears due to the online uproar.

well that'd be nice...though I still can't really see a FREE lanyard or mouse ears as a "dream come true" LOL - a fun prize...sure...dream come true - not in my dreams

kiwifuz
08-27-2006, 04:39 PM
well that'd be nice...though I still can't really see a FREE lanyard or mouse ears as a "dream come true" LOL - a fun prize...sure...dream come true - not in my dreams
Yes but perhaps a bit more exciting and long lasting than a burger. Although perhaps that artery clogging fat might last forever?

DianeM
08-27-2006, 05:51 PM
Isn't it funny... I don't think I'd like this. I love the idea of getting a free pass to the park, but not the idea of being in it all alone. It would be creepy. Crowds are so much a part of the park. Now... that said, it would be fun to get a pass so that I could be first on any ride in the park on a given day. Being first is more fun that doing it alone.

The biggest giveaway will be the "Keys to the Kingdom" prize which will be 4 hours in the Magic Kingdom all by themselves. They will have the park to them selves.

We are excited about this. How about you??

dznyphreak
08-27-2006, 08:22 PM
Yep, sounds like fun. My understanding is it is computer generated. The CM will be sent to a specific location (bench 63 or table 31 at Cafe Oleans, or the guest entering the turnstile at exactly this time on teh Mark Twain ) and the person in the specific spot will win whatever the gift is.
So what happens if it's a slow day and there isn't anyone there at that time??? I'd rather have a real live person determine whether or not I could have an experience of a lifetime, not a statistic spit out of a machine. Also, machines are only as random as their programmers, so someone would know where to be and when...

Another Dimension
08-27-2006, 08:27 PM
....excited about this, NOT. :rolleyes:

Darkbeer
08-27-2006, 08:29 PM
^If a live person would determine the winner, then that CM would tend to pick family, friends, or the "cute one" in the crowd, which is NOT random. Heck, look at the little girl who spent $100 on a Princess outfit and accessories.... she should get a prize.

Federal Law is clear, the "dreams" have to be given out randomly, and the Disney lawyers have decided to hire a independent company to come up with the computer program to make sure that things are random....

dznyphreak
08-27-2006, 08:34 PM
^If a live person would determine the winner, then that CM would tend to pick family, friends, or the "cute one" in the crowd, which is NOT random. Heck, look at the little girl who spent $100 on a Princess outfit and accessories.... she should get a prize.

Federal Law is clear, the "dreams" have to be given out randomly, and the Disney lawyers have decided to hire a independent company to come up with the computer program to make sure that things are random....
I suppose that makes sense...maybe that talking trashcan can make the decisions??? ;)

MammaSilva
08-27-2006, 09:20 PM
Disney isn't willing to risk the fiasco that McDonalds faced when the facts of the fixed monopoly games came out.

annieb727
08-27-2006, 11:31 PM
i definitely like the idea of really random winnings....i mean, really, who would give a prize to a overweight lady wandering around by herself at DL - I'm sure no guys would say, "oh she's hot...let's give her a prize" LOL (and I'm talking about ME) - at least I would stand a CHANCE to win a prize (I'll be there in October too :) ).

I Heart Disneyland!
08-27-2006, 11:33 PM
, who would give a prize to a overweight lady wandering around by herself at DL - I'm sure no guys would say, "oh she's hot...let's give her a prize" LOL (and I'm talking about ME) - at least I would stand a CHANCE ).

Yeah, that crossed my mind too, because that's also ME!!!

ThemeParkAddictOfOC
08-28-2006, 12:20 AM

Of course. I know firsthand that many contests are rigged. At least the ones for the fans at the sporting events and most radio stations are.

I have already won a big prize, so I think that I am out of luck during this lifetime. (Not from Disney. We won a new SUV in a random drawing.)

annieb727
, who would give a prize to a overweight lady wandering around by herself at DL - I'm sure no guys would say, "oh she's hot...let's give her a prize" LOL (and I'm talking about ME) - at least I would stand a CHANCE ).

You crack me up. Stranger things have happened ....

snowsbeau
08-28-2006, 01:14 PM
Of course. I know firsthand that many contests are rigged. At least the ones for the fans at the sporting events and most radio stations are.

I have already won a big prize, so I think that I am out of luck during this lifetime. (Not from Disney. We won a new SUV in a random drawing.)

You crack me up. Stranger things have happened ....

Large black man here! I may actually have a chance at winning something too if the prizes are given out in the manner that is stated. The last time they had a giveaway like this, (in the eighties! Yes! I'm that old!) I was the guy directly in front of the adorable 7 year old kid that won a trip to WDW for her family. :rolleyes:
I have to be the largest invisible man I know of! But I'm not bitter! ;)

Pat-n-Eil
08-28-2006, 01:43 PM
Isn't there an online component for this? It seems I signed up and entered a drawing having to do with this million wishes campaign..

Darkbeer
08-28-2006, 02:13 PM
Isn't there an online component for this? It seems I signed up and entered a drawing having to do with this million wishes campaign..

There are two different "contests"...

The current on-line contest is to find 1 winner of a trip to kick-off the Year of a Million Dreams event. The family will be used for promotional purposes, and the winners need to attend October 1st thru 4th to be at the Media Event.

Then there is the Main event, which is the in-park giveaways from October 1st, 2006 thru September 30th, 2007. And actually, for legal reasons, will be two seperate contests, one for the Disneyland Resort, and one for WDW. They will be similar, but will have some prizes that are different (such as the overnight stay in the Castle at WDW compared to the special Disneyland Hotel Suite at DLR). They plan to split up the dreams based on attendance figures, so about a third of a million prizes at the DLR, and two-thirds for WDW. There will be no online componant. It will be very similar to how they handle the Honda giveaway last year. the No Purchase option (as required by law) will be handled thru Guest Services. You have to go to the park and fill out a form and sign a statement that say you are not entering the park that day. Then they will have some sort of random assignment that will match the odds of winning (computer, scratch-off tickets, or something similar). If you win, they will just give you your prize while you wait. This will cut down the amount of non-purchase winners, as for most folks, it is not easy to get to the park, and the costs of driving there (or even using the bus) outway the value of a potential prize (in general) Let's say that the average low level prize (such as a pair of Dream Ears or a Pin Lanyard) is $18, with odds of 1 in 60 of winning something. That makes the average chance to win worth about 30 cents.