PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland crowd-o-meter, how?

nightdesigns
08-24-2006, 10:09 PM
What's this you may ask, eh, it's just an idea for the moment.

I've gotten spoiled having passes and living close to the land, and whenever the agerage wait for a ride is more than 20 mintues, we usually turn around and head home and try again another time.

Today i got to thinking, is there a way to have some sort of crowd meter? I can do the back end, that's no problem, but I need ideas about getting input to it.

So for you disney buffs, I ask you this. Can anyone come up with an idea of how I can get data to report? The only thing I can come up with is having people text message into the system, but that would take a fair amount of participation. I'm open to suggestions!

Side note: If i could get this to work, I wonder how long before disney asks me to take it down :fez:

stan4d_steph
08-25-2006, 05:59 AM
Do you mean having information updated daily, or are you talking about a predictive system?

nightdesigns
08-25-2006, 06:12 AM
Do you mean having information updated daily, or are you talking about a predictive system?

Real time, or semi real-time.

lauramaynot
08-25-2006, 04:27 PM
What's this you may ask, eh, it's just an idea for the moment.

I've gotten spoiled having passes and living close to the land, and whenever the agerage wait for a ride is more than 20 mintues, we usually turn around and head home and try again another time.

Today i got to thinking, is there a way to have some sort of crowd meter? I can do the back end, that's no problem, but I need ideas about getting input to it.

So for you disney buffs, I ask you this. Can anyone come up with an idea of how I can get data to report? The only thing I can come up with is having people text message into the system, but that would take a fair amount of participation. I'm open to suggestions!

Side note: If i could get this to work, I wonder how long before disney asks me to take it down :fez:

kinda like some websites do for gas prices? I think if you got enough participation it would work...but the reason it works with gas prices is that they don't change as rapidly as say the line for SM which can go from 15 min. to an hour very rapidly since people see the short wait time and rush the line (I have been shoved out of the way by many such people running and yelling to one another "hurry the line is short" which alerts other people who join the stampeed)

It might work if you could get a couple of CMs to help report to you say three times a day (morning, noon, evening) and instead of actual wait times post the level of crowd activity (light, moderate, heavy) and even if you didn't have any real time data just being able to track the history you can get pretty accurate trend data.

mistofviolets
08-25-2006, 05:10 PM
Have you seen ridemax? ridemax.com; we tried it out and walked onto a LOT of rides. Not having been to disney in over 10 years, and this being our kids first times, we didn't really know what to choose...but...you'd be able to play with it a lot and figure out best timing for what when.