PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Planning: HoJo? Park Place Inn?

Pat-n-Eil
08-24-2006, 11:44 AM
It has been several years since we stayed off property for a Disneyland vacation. With the disappearance of the Enhanced FastPass from AAA, we are likely going to go back to less expensive lodging. On a cursory initial examination I find that the Best Western Park Place Inn (where we've stayed before) is more expensive than the standard room at Howard Johnson.

I've heard some very good stuff about Hojo, but the only (slight) drawback is that it is a longer walk to the park than Best Western Park Place Inn or The Camelot (formerly Park Inn, Anaheim where we've also stayed), etc. But we do like Mimi's and so we'd likely be heading that direction anyway.

Anyone have any reasons other than being a little closer that we should look at places other than Howard Johnson? Comfortable beds would be a top priority for us.. (we loved the beds at GCH).

tigga please
08-24-2006, 11:57 AM
i used to stay exclusively at the park place inn. i had a couple bad experiences with check ins the last two times so ive written them off. it was however very clean, the beds were awesome, and the rooms were..well roomy (fridge and microwave as well) im tryin the candycane inn this time, which means free shuttle..im kinda skeptical how that will work out for us..
our last stay we used the ramada main gate. the room wasnt as nice as the park place mini suites but it was ok. id like to stay at the camelot for the viewing deck.

Pat-n-Eil
08-24-2006, 12:05 PM
... id like to stay at the camelot for the viewing deck.

The Camelot (formerly Park Inn, Anaheim) was the last place we stayed before moving to the Disney Properties for the past few years. I had a special $59/night deal to stay there and we thought it was very very nice. The view is great. You can see the Matterhorn and the Fireworks. We had a 5th floor room and the swimming pool is on the 4th floor which as cool.

The only issue we had at all was that the tub/shower had a slow drain - but we'd definitely consider staying there again.

hlbtimes2
08-24-2006, 12:06 PM
im tryin the candycane inn this time, which means free shuttle..im kinda skeptical how that will work out for us..

Don't be skeptical! Their shuttle is great. It leaves on the hour and 1/2 hour from the hotel. It leaves the park at the 15 and 45. There is one shuttle in the evening that they dont run (around 8pm). There is a sign in the lobby with the exact time on it. The driver takes his dinner break at that time. If you miss the shuttle its about 8-10 minutes to walk. The last shuttle is 45 minutes after the park closes. The shuttle bus is large, and has seating that faces the middle, rather then seats facing forward. It holds about 40-45 people (seated) with more standing room in the middle if needed. Because the seats face the middle its pretty easy to get strollers and what not on to the bus.

kaybee2
08-24-2006, 12:08 PM
Just returned from 3 nights at Hojo. I slept like a baby - better than I do at home! The beds were comfy, rooms and grounds really clean, the room was a good size and the staff was awesome. Having Mimi's right there was great - good, fresh food and less $$$ than the parks. We even did take out and ate in our room after swimming one evening. It was great! The walking distance wasn't significant - it's the same length as the walk from the DL Hotel to the park entrance.

The only drawback to Hojo's is noise. The last time we stayed, we were in a room with 2 Queen Beds in Bldg. 1, their 7-story building. We could hear the noise from the freeway too well (so well, in fact, that we had to move from our first room that sounded like we were ON the freeway). This time we had a room w/ 2 doubles in bldg.3 and couldn't hear the freeway at all. Next time we go, I plan to specifically request bldg 3 or 4.

Hope this helps,
Karen

tigga please
08-24-2006, 02:34 PM
I had a special $59/night deal to stay there
how did you manage that? was that some deal you struck with the manager for your on going stays? or just from planning ahead and whenever you could get it?

Having Mimi's right there was great - good, fresh food and less $$$ than the parks. Next time we go, I plan to specifically request bldg 3 or 4.

was Mimi's 24/7? and thanks for the tip on buildings!

Don't be skeptical! Their shuttle is great.
thanks for the reassurance! i cant wait! im so used to staying across the street, and now i dont even have to do that?! :D

emmah
08-24-2006, 11:54 PM
Comfortable beds would be a top priority for us.. (we loved the beds at GCH).

Hi there, I stayed at Hojos for a couple of nights at the end of my trip last year, after staying at DLH for 4 nights. I was miserable at Hojos because the beds were soooooo hard; I switched rooms after the first night because of the bed, but the second room was no better. If comfy beds are a priority, try the sheraton - either the anaheim or the park, because they have the sleeper beds which are fabulous. a room there, if you book on the internet and get a special (i was just checking myself, for january, and found a price of $139 a night) its more expensive than either of the hotels you mention, but less expensive by far that GCH.

aymieb
08-25-2006, 06:12 AM
We just got back from a 4 night stay at Howard Johnson's. We had a GREAT time. We usually stay at the DH. This time we thought we would change it up and I am glad we did. The walk wasn't any longer than what we expeience from DH. We stayed in building 3 so the freeway noise and swimming pool noise (which stays open until midnight) wasn't a problem. I would request the room not be in front of the pool or at the back of the property by the freeway as I could see that being noisy. The room was quite big and the bed comfy. My 2 year old LOVED the pool and water play area. We ate at Mimi's for one lunch, breakfast and dinner. It was great.

Pat-n-Eil
08-25-2006, 06:45 AM
how did you manage that? was that some deal you struck with the manager for your on going stays? or just from planning ahead and whenever you could get it?

The way we got a $59/night room at the Park Inn, Anaheim (now the The Camelot) was by being a member of Resort Parks International. At the time we had a travel trailer and a membership to RPI, one of the benefits of RPI was some great discount deals at hotels around the country - that happened to be one of them.

Crazy4DL
08-25-2006, 06:55 AM
thanks for the reassurance! i cant wait! im so used to staying across the street, and now i dont even have to do that?! :D

I will happily add my reassurance to hlbtimes2's for the CCI. We just spent 9 nights at the CCI and we were very happy. The shuttle worked great when we used it. Like Linda said, it is a very nice bus - in great condition, and ran like clock work, etc.

Pat&Eli - DH and I are older folks with fussy back, etc and we found the CCI to have VERY comfortable beds.

We stayed in a regular room. The room is small but they have larger rooms. We did have a little fridge though.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
08-26-2006, 04:27 PM
We stay at HoJos every trip and love it. The staff is amazing, the grounds are clean, the rooms are spacious and the beds are comfy. We stay in building 2, get the same room EVERY time, Willie knows which room we like and I book directly through him, THANKS to Darkbeer. We stay in a room that is on the ground floor of building 2, facing the pool that is back there, only open until 10pm, and toward the DLR end. The walk is not bad at all. Sure, I would love to stay at GCH or DLH, but rather save my money, we are hardly in the room to begin with, for some great Disneyland souveniers.

splash
08-27-2006, 08:40 AM
We have stayed at the Marriott Fairfield Inn which is a bit closer to the parks than the HoJo. Rates are usually very good and the rooms were large and comfortable. Check them out.

Malcon10t
08-27-2006, 12:22 PM
We haven't stayed at the Camelot since the new management (which corresponded with major rate hikes.) Hojo's is nice, as is Carousel Inn. I keep waiting to stay at CCI, but I never book in early enough.

Malcon10t
08-27-2006, 12:23 PM
I also wanted to say I am so glad to see I am not the only one who loves planning ALMOST as much as the trip!

JosieGirl71
08-27-2006, 08:07 PM
Try Hojo's. I thought they had some of the best customer service anywhere. If the walk is too long, you can always take the shuttle. :)