PDA

View Full Version : Best Breakfast In or Around DLR?

Pages : [1] 2

JookyG
08-23-2006, 10:02 AM
Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, and a hearty breakfast is a big component to ensuring I have the energy for a long, full day at Disneyland.

Who's got the best breakfast in or around the Disneyland Resort? My current favorite is Carnation Cafe, but I want to try something new on my next visit.

My only requirement is that it be within walking distance because I don't drive when I visit. Hopefully a 15 minute walk or less from the Disneyland Hotel, because I don't want to squander valuable vacation time walking to breakfast.

Price is not an object, but value and quality are.

Suggestions? (Not Tiffy's. Got it.)

Thanks in advance!

Andrew
08-23-2006, 10:04 AM
For me, if I eat very much in the morning it tends to drag me down for the rest of the day. Get me a cup of coffee and a piece of fruit--maybe a croissant--and I'm good. For that I will usually go to either the Blue Ribbon or the bakery inside DCA.

dlandnut
08-23-2006, 10:06 AM
We always include the RiverBelle Terrace for breakfast on at least one of the days when we are there. Mickey Mouse Pancakes, bacon, eggs, the works. Plenty of variety and a fun way to start the day. :)

hg0079
08-23-2006, 10:28 AM
Suggestions? (Not Tiffy's. Got it.)

But than I don't know where to tell you.... :)..... glad you aren't going there

stan4d_steph
08-23-2006, 10:29 AM
Whitewater Snacks -- breakfast biscuit sandwich with egg, bacon and cheese. Yum.

JookyG
08-23-2006, 10:31 AM
I usually hit Blue Ribbon for elevenses and a follow-up espresso :D They have surprisingly good espresso. I typically drink it straight. And the chocolate macaroons are my #1 favorite snack in the whole park. When they actually make them, that is.

However, I'm looking specifically for a full breakfast, either eggs & bacon or pancakes/waffles, preferrably table service.

Riverbelle Terrace is my 2nd fave inside the parks (especially the Mark Twain breakfast, yummy!). It sure is nice to sit outside on the Rivers of America watching the Mark Twain drift by while the morning sunlight is still fresh and the crowds light. So peaceful. This will probably be my choice if I can't find another killer table spot with table service.

What about the restaurants over at the DLH?

disneyperson
08-23-2006, 10:35 AM
Millie's has great breakfasts,wonderful service, and good prices. It's across the street on Harbor.
Stay away from the IHOP. Pricey!!!!!

In DL, we like the Carnation Cafe.

barely
08-23-2006, 10:39 AM
Haven't actually been there yet but I hear that Mimi's (next to HoJo's) does a really good hearty breakfast. Breakfast is my husband's favorite meal of the day and we look forward to trying Mimi's in September.

infinite
08-23-2006, 10:40 AM
Staying at the Disneyland Hotel? Howa about room service!

I haven't had it there, but I have at Grand Californian, and it was very, very good, they even brought in a table for it!

JookyG
08-23-2006, 10:51 AM
Staying at the Disneyland Hotel? Howa about room service!

I haven't had it there, but I have at Grand Californian, and it was very, very good, they even brought in a table for it!

Ooohhh, good idea! If I'm gonna splurge on a room at DLH (it's my first time, YAY!!!), I may as well do it right!

I've ordered room service breakfasts before, and often they're not that great or cold by the time they arrive. Anyone know about the quality of the room service food at DLH? Which restaurant does it come from?

I agree that IHOP's not that great. That place seems a little grimy around the edges, even though I enjoy IHOPs in other locations. I'd pick Denny's over IHOP, but might have to try Mimi's.

mulansgirl
08-23-2006, 10:56 AM
I also love the White Water Snacks at the GCH. but I always get the breakfast burrito. eggs cheese potatoes and bacon I think. but yummy and one is big enough for me to split with hubby. hmm now I want one, oh or their nachos, yummy nachos.

Wendi
08-23-2006, 11:47 AM
Storyteller's Cafe - get the buffet... it is so worth it!!!

Mimi's is good too, but Storyteller's is a whole lot better.

hlbtimes2
08-23-2006, 12:14 PM
My fav is Carnation. But, you might try Granvilles if you want something new to try. It seems to me I've heard good things about it- and the location would be perfect for you. I've heard its an often over looked spot, so isnt horribly busy for breakfast.

08-23-2006, 12:33 PM
Whitewater Snacks -- breakfast biscuit sandwich with egg, bacon and cheese. Yum.

It's all about their breakfast burrito.

JookyG
08-23-2006, 12:46 PM
My fav is Carnation. But, you might try Granvilles if you want something new to try. It seems to me I've heard good things about it- and the location would be perfect for you. I've heard its an often over looked spot, so isnt horribly busy for breakfast.

Great tip, thanks! I think this might be the spot. I just found some reviews and breakfast menus--only a dollar or two more expensive than Denny's or IHOP, and the dining room looks fantastic. Food looks and sounds great, and the location is right. Very nice.

kohl
08-23-2006, 12:56 PM
Goofy's Kitchen in the DLH and the Lilo and Stitch breakfast in PPH both have great buffets. They are expensive, but you can have a hugh breakfast. We also really like Storytellers breakfast buffet at the GCH.

Pat-n-Eil
08-23-2006, 01:18 PM
Haven't actually been there yet but I hear that Mimi's (next to HoJo's) does a really good hearty breakfast. Breakfast is my husband's favorite meal of the day and we look forward to trying Mimi's in September.

I've been to several Mimi's locations and my family agrees that breakfast is their best meal. Their food at breakfast time is very good. I have no problem suggesting them and the prices are very reasonable.

CarlieB
08-23-2006, 02:57 PM
Mimis or Storytellers:)

Syndrome
08-23-2006, 03:10 PM
Storyteller's Cafe - get the buffet... it is so worth it!!!

Mimi's is good too, but Storyteller's is a whole lot better.

I second Storyteller's, it's very good.

DLyouth27
08-23-2006, 04:36 PM
Sorry for this bit of off-topic, but does anyone have any major preference between all the breakfast buffets (storytellers, lilo & stitch, Goofy's and Plaza inn)? Do any of them particularly stick out?

And as for breakfast in or around DLR, I agree that breakfast is definitely Mimi's strong point. Riverbelle is a great choice for in-park, especially since it's so close to major attractions which you can take advantage of in the early park hours, such as Splash, Indy, HM, Pirates and Big thunder.

emmah
08-23-2006, 04:37 PM
Mimi's, just across from Hojo's, is a great choice for breakfast - really yummy menu, fast service and really good value for money. it wouldn't take more than 15 minutes to walk there from DLH - nice stroll to get the blood flowing early in the day. I will not be ordering room service at DLH again - I did this last december and my meal was lukewarm and soggy and vastly overpriced (and I'm used to grossly inflated hotel prices). The riverbell terrace can't be beat for onsite atmosphere and the food is better than average - but the queue can be offputting so get in early. I'm not a big fan of the hotel buffets (storytellers, granvilles etc) from a food perspective - there are all these weird things like chocolate pizza and cakes - really, who could possibly eat that kind of stuff early in the morning? - but the omelet bars make up for the failings of the food islands. and finally, if you can actually get a seat, the carnation cafe is a fun choice. :D :D :D enjoy!

Malcon10t
08-23-2006, 05:02 PM
Mimi's. For $8 you can get a 3 egg "California" omelet with avacado, bacon, and cheese, potatoes, orange juice, an a humongeous muffin (I like the spice muffins or blueberry.) I usually save the muffin for an afternoon snack or 2. We make a habit of having a high protein breakfast, as the carb filled breakfasts (such as teh "free" ones at the hotels) leave my oldest daughter CRANKY about an hour later. We figured out pumping protein into her makes our lives happier.

june1st1997
08-23-2006, 05:22 PM
La Brea Bakery has a great breakfast... I believe it is sit down. I know that we have gotten very hearty take out from them, so i would imagine sit down would be fabulous. I have had breakfast at Campanille (the sister restaurant to La Brea... in LA) and it is spectacular!

And it's on your way into the park

Bon Appetite!

Monte Cristo
08-23-2006, 05:43 PM
La Brea Bakery, hands down. The food is really good, and the portions are huge. You could easily split one of their dishes between two people. My fav is the eggs scrambled, bacon, and potatoes on an open-faced croissant. And yes - La Brea is sit down. You just order what you want from the counter, and then take a seat outside with your food.

Other than that, Mimi's is also really good.

bassett1976
08-23-2006, 05:44 PM
We always include the RiverBelle Terrace for breakfast on at least one of the days when we are there. Mickey Mouse Pancakes, bacon, eggs, the works. Plenty of variety and a fun way to start the day. :)

I second this opinion!!!!

My wife says Goofy's kitchen is also really good for breakfast.