PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland without our children? should we?

ima_mickeyfan
08-23-2006, 10:02 AM
Hello,
as some of you know, we have a large family 5 of our own children and 4 foster children. kids ages are 1,2,5,5,6,6,8,9,11. Our family of 6 was supposed to go to DL in Oct. Now that we have had 3 children placed with us as an emergency and long term, we are thinking of pushing our vacation back. We were there last Sept. so it won't kill us if we don't go this year. close, to death, but won't happen;)
My question is, I am hitting burn out being home with 9 kids all day long 24/7. and dh works, now that football season is here, he coaches, so he is not home in the evening. I am trying to decide if I should do a few days at disneyland with a friend and have dh stay home with the kids, or if dh an I should go to refresh our relationship. Or for the final thought IF I should go by myself and if I do that, will I enjoy myself not having my kids around? I think I will have a good time, but I will dearly miss them all...My life truely revolves around my children and all their activities! from the little one's therapy apts, to the girls dance classes to sports all year long!
what do you all think I should do? :|

annieb727
08-23-2006, 10:09 AM
if you are reaching burnout a break is definitely a good idea - i think all of your ideas: alone, w/ a friend, w/ dh are all great options

Mommy2NicknMax
08-23-2006, 10:12 AM
I can relate on needing a "burnout break." I used to take one every December to DL alone. It was a wonderful refresher! I highly recommend it! :)

lisap
08-23-2006, 10:18 AM
You and your husband need to go together and have a relaxing time, That is an order.;) Find some good help for the kids and go--and don't worry about them while you're gone--they always survive.

Going with the kids is exciting and fun, but going with your spouse alone is something you will never forget, and will create wonderful memories that will help you through the crazy times with the kids. Go!
:)

Drince88
08-23-2006, 10:21 AM
If you're getting close to burn out, your DH might be too, even if he isn't with the kids all the time like you are. IF he can get away from his outside-the-house obligations, it sure doesn't sound like a bad idea to me for the two fo you to reconnect! If he can't, going with a friend will help you keep the 'oh, I wish the kids were here' thoughts a little more out of the front of your mind, but you will be having to modify your actions based on what they want to do. But going alone and doing all the things you CAN'T do with your crew in tow, would also probably do you a world of good!

I guess I'm saying, GO - using any of the three options you outlined - a sane Mommy is a much better Mommy!

(And bravo for taking on the foster kids!)

ima_mickeyfan
08-23-2006, 10:28 AM
Thanks for all your advice! I think I am going to make plans for dh and I to go and suprise him!!!

ima_mickeyfan
08-23-2006, 10:28 AM
:D
You and your husband need to go together and have a relaxing time, That is an order.;) Find some good help for the kids and go--and don't worry about them while you're gone--they always survive.

Going with the kids is exciting and fun, but going with your spouse alone is something you will never forget, and will create wonderful memories that will help you through the crazy times with the kids. Go!
:)

adriennek
08-23-2006, 10:41 AM
Go.

And then, Go.

And did I mention... GO!

You need this and you deserve it.

And you know who's going to be GLAD you did it? Those nine kids!!! Because you'll be happier and they will be, too. :)

Have a wonderful time!!

Adrienne

ima_mickeyfan
08-23-2006, 10:59 AM
And you know who's going to be GLAD you did it? Those nine kids!!! Because you'll be happier and they will be, too. :)

Have a wonderful time!!

Adrienne

Your right! I am sure the kids will love to have a refreshed MOMMIE!!!

DianeM
08-23-2006, 12:05 PM
I don't know about Disneyland... you know best if you can enjoy the park without feeling guilty. But go SOMEWHERE. Nine kids is a lot to handle, you and your husband need a break. If you can get childcare, a weekend off might be just the thing to make the load lighter.

what do you all think I should do? :|

Rteneyck
08-23-2006, 03:18 PM
I took my first trip to Disneyland w/out the kids in January of this year. I felt really guilty at first, but I went anyway. 2 girlfriends and I took a few days off to go and relax after a maddening christmas season and such. We ended up having so much fun that we are planning it again for next January. We got to do so many other things that we don't normally do because we had the kids with us and being able to relax was sooooo worth it! I think the only thing better would have been going with my DH. I say go for it!!!!

Malcon10t
08-23-2006, 03:24 PM
Thanks for all your advice! I think I am going to make plans for dh and I to go and suprise him!!!Just be careful. If he is anything like my brother and coaching football, better wait til the season ends. My brother is a HS coach. He started off watching my son play, pacing the sidelines yelling at my son, to having the HS coach say "Wanna help out?" and now he is the head JV coach and the head defensive coach for varsity. No way he will go anywhere between now and mid Nov. Mon-Fri night.

GrumpyUTboi
08-23-2006, 07:27 PM
By all means GO!!! We took a quick trip to DL for our 14ht anniversary, the wife wanted to see Johnny Depp, but it was INCREDIBLE for the health of our relationship. On the way down I drove her to a drive up wedding chapel and we renewed our vows. It was the time of our life. Go, GO, GO!

ima_mickeyfan
08-24-2006, 07:26 AM
Just be careful. If he is anything like my brother and coaching football, better wait til the season ends. My brother is a HS coach. He started off watching my son play, pacing the sidelines yelling at my son, to having the HS coach say "Wanna help out?" and now he is the head JV coach and the head defensive coach for varsity. No way he will go anywhere between now and mid Nov. Mon-Fri night.
Well, as I was making plans last night for our suprise, I was looking at the football schedule and there is no way for him to leave with out missing games etc. and he will be making comments about that on vacation, I know that for sure! My husband is the assistant head coach and offense coach. This is for our little guy's football team, but just as important as high school! I think I may take a weekend off on my own for now and suprise him with a getaway once the season ends. thanks for everyones support!

TTFN92
08-24-2006, 12:36 PM
You definitely need to go! All relationships need to be taken care of. DH and I go on a date every weekend. We need that time to be alone. We have 4 boys so if I don't get that break, I can feel it. My family is my life too, but everyone needs their own time.

DH and I have gone to DL a couple of times w/o kids and have always had a great time, it's just a different time. You'll see the park in a new light. Have fun!

Omnitographer
08-24-2006, 05:02 PM
Just remember, never tell them you went to disneyland.

ima_mickeyfan
08-25-2006, 07:47 AM
Just remember, never tell them you went to disneyland.
OH, so true!!! I will never be able to leave the house alone again if they find out! they might think I'm sneaking another disneyland trip...:)

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
08-26-2006, 04:24 PM
YES!! Leave the kids at home. Every parent deserves a DLR trip without their kids and YOU are at the top of the list of that need!!