PDA

View Full Version : saved [Saving Spots at DL]

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

hg0079
08-22-2006, 01:09 PM
when is it or isn't it ok to save spots at Dland?

mulansgirl
08-22-2006, 01:20 PM
that is so funny I was writing a resopnse about this when you made this thread. Now do you mean like at food places, parades, shows? IMO Food places you pretty much have to save a table if you have a person to spare. Parades I think everyone should sit and wait together or just one person leave to get a snack for everyone. Shows can be tricky. And I do not believe in holding places in line for people, very few exceptions.

not at disneyland: One lady behind me once told me to hold her place in line while she sat down. She did not ask she told me so I never responded to her then when the line started to move she did not return till the very last moment she could, I was dumbfounded. I was not planing to stand in line for some stranger.

rentayenta
08-22-2006, 01:35 PM
I think it's fine and necessary to save spots for things like parades, F!, and the fireworks. As long as someone is willing to wait there and not just leave stuff then it's cool. There are exceptions like running a child to the bathroom but I don't think it's okay to lay out the Neat Sheet, leave it unattended, and go catch a few rides.

We always save spots and I am always the one that waits. :D I have been known to wait 90+ for a prime spot while DH takes the kidlets on rides.

50atdisney
08-22-2006, 02:27 PM
Rent...I am sorry but if no one has ever told you i will.......SAVING SPOTS FOR PEOPLE NOT AT THAT SPOT...is very rude and very unthoughtful...Now i can see saving a spot at a table while the other people are getting there food....but saving spots for parades,lines for rides,ect...is rude....I am suprised you dont get people saying things to you....but then again you probable dont care do you...

rentayenta
08-22-2006, 02:30 PM
Rent...I am sorry but if no one has ever told you i will.......SAVING SPOTS FOR PEOPLE NOT AT THAT SPOT...is very rude and very unthoughtful...Now i can see saving a spot at a table while the other people are getting there food....but saving spots for parades,lines for rides,ect...is rude....I am suprised you dont get people saying things to you....but then again you probable dont care do you...

Are you on crack? I never said LINES. I am feeling some pent up and misplaced agression; do you need to talk?

And trust me, no one has ever said anything. In fact I usually end up chatting with the folks around me who are doing the same thing. :D

barely
08-22-2006, 02:31 PM
CHILL, already!

barely
08-22-2006, 02:31 PM
CHILL, already, 50atdisney!

hlbtimes2
08-22-2006, 02:33 PM
I think it's fine and necessary to save spots for things like parades, F!, and the fireworks. As long as someone is willing to wait there and not just leave stuff then it's cool. There are exceptions like running a child to the bathroom but I don't think it's okay to lay out the Neat Sheet, leave it unattended, and go catch a few rides.

We always save spots and I am always the one that waits. :D I have been known to wait 90+ for a prime spot while DH takes the kidlets on rides.

Yep, thats my opinion as well.

DangerMouse
08-22-2006, 02:35 PM

Are you kidding me??? Wow, I would guess that would classify a HUGE amount of padders here as "rude" in your book. I am just like Renta, and will gladly sit and save a spot for my young kids while they go on rides with Daddy. It's pure torture to ask a toddler or young child to sit for 90 minutes or more to wait for a parade or fireworks. I have NEVER EVER had someone tell me I was rude for sitting with a couple small jackets placed on the ground around me as clear markers for my kids' saved spots. Why do you care if my kid isn't physically there? I am there and how is that jacket on the ground offending you?

Sorry, but I think you're in the minority here.

Crazy4DL
08-22-2006, 02:38 PM
Rent...I am sorry but if no one has ever told you i will.......SAVING SPOTS FOR PEOPLE NOT AT THAT SPOT...is very rude and very unthoughtful...

Well, I beg to differ. I don't know why you think it is rude to save a spot, say for the fireworks. but it isn't rude to you to save a table. :confused:

I DO think some one in the party, or several if it is a large party, needs to sit in the spot to save it, like RentaYenta said, but I don't get what the point is that the entire party has to stay put. :confused: What difference could it possible make to you? It is the same amount of space "used up" or saved whether the entire bunch sits there or a few people sit there.

50atdisney
08-22-2006, 03:07 PM
AM I ON CRACK....Now that is rude!I always think its funny when ever you say things RUDE people dont like...its you that has the problem....I will not back track on this...why should you be able to save a spot at some place i may want...if the people in your group want that spot they should have to wait like all of us...if they dont want to wait why should they get the spot?I payed just like them i am waiting and the spot should be mine....aND AS FAR AS THE FOOD TABLE...i would never save a table if my party was out riding rides,only if they where at the resturant and it was like a self serve place and you where all up getting your food....But i have seen people saving tables for people that where not even at the place....In my book that is rude and unthoughtful....BUT A RUDE PERSON DOSNT THINK OF OTHERS THAT WAY....THATS WHY THEY ARE RUDE!.....

Rteneyck
08-22-2006, 03:14 PM
Are you on crack? I never said LINES. I am feeling some pent up and misplaced agression; do you need to talk?

And trust me, no one has ever said anything. In fact I usually end up chatting with the folks around me who are doing the same thing. :D

I agree as well. I couldn't possibly believe that anyone would want me 3 year old sitting for 90 minutes before a parade started. By the time the parade would start I guarantee it would be meltdown city. Then I would get looks and stares because my kid is screaming and ruining the whole show for everyone.

Crazy4DL
08-22-2006, 03:17 PM
Well, I am thinking everyone is entitled to their own definition of rude. Saving a table in a restaurant while all your party is out riding rides seems a bit far fetched to me but certainly does seem rude in my book too.

I still do not understand how someone saving a spot for fireworks, etc is rude, but obviously you do.

adriennek
08-22-2006, 03:30 PM
I get to say what I'm about to say because I'm a moderator. (That's not meant to pull rank or step on toes or anything, just a reminder ;) You'll see what I mean... I'm trying to use my power for good. I promise.)

Don't. Take. The. Bait.

Don't. Take. The. Bait.

I know a lot of people of my parents' - ok, of my young uncle's/older cousin's - generation who can use capitalization and punctuation properly.

Don't. Take. The. Bait.

Adrienne

JookyG
08-22-2006, 03:31 PM
50atdisney, it looks like you're in a very small majority here as far as saving spots go. I've been on these boards a long time and it seems the common etiquette is that it's okay to save spots for shows as long as some of the group is present. I hope you're not out there getting angry at folks, ruining people's day at Disneyland, and poppin veins over it, because that's even more rude and unthoughtful than following the conventional wisdom. Your own happiness would be better served going with the flow.

So to answer the original poster's question, the conventional wisdom is that it's okay to save spots for shows like the fireworks as long as someone's present, and very few people will argue that. Maybe unless it's one person saving for a whole group. I've saved spots for five others by myself and didn't get any guff.

Judging from similar threads in the past, saving spots in a queue is far worse, unless it's an extreme situation. You'll probably get really dirty looks and/or comments if folks join you in when you're nearing the front, but toward the back it's not so bad.

Saving spots at a table is a necessity if you want to sit on a crowded day. Someone hovers while the rest of the party gets the food. That's going to hold true anyplace where there's insufficient seating.

50atdisney
08-22-2006, 03:46 PM
I would never say any thing to any one saving a spot for there kids,but then again i wont be waiting 90min for a show just because i want that soooooooooooooo special spot......And i am not trying to start any trouble,but all you lifers that live on this internet have got to chill out for us stupid people that just come on here to get some info about are trip,not live here and have some thing to say about every thing...sorry for that but you people seem to be on all forums now and you act like i just came in you home and spit on you....this is my last post..and i bet it gets taken off....BUT YOU PEOPLE REALLY NEED TO GET A LIFE......and yes that was in capital..:p :p :p :p

Malcon10t
08-22-2006, 03:46 PM
Holding a table while others are getting food is fine. Saving spots for Fantasmic! or the fireworks is great, as long as part of the party is there. I generally start with my daughter and myself saving a spot for fireworks for 6-8 of us. As soon as the crowd starts realizing its time to save spots, I have called for reinforcememnts and there is usually 4-5 of us there, and for the last hour, all of us will be there, unless someone is off on a potty break (either human or puppy) or getting liquid to refill us. Savings spots in line is generally unacceptable. Exceptions, mom/dad taking youngster potty and coming back to line. I don't even have an issue if ONE person in a party is doing a FastPass run. (Get in line for Soarin, send one to Screaming for FP, then they rejoin in the outside queue.) None of the above would be consiere rude. I don't agree with one person in line and all the others joining at the last second.

Tinkerbell02
08-22-2006, 03:52 PM
To all the mom's and dad's out there who take turns saving spots for their family during parades, fireworks, etc. THANK YOU!!! Watching little ones being forced to sit for 90+ minutes waiting for a parade is not fun for them, their parent or surrounding guests. As a non-parent it's not enjoyable to watch kids have meltdowns because their parents forced them to sit for 90 minutes to wait for a parade. So before a show, parade, fireworks save as many spots as you want, if I got there late thats my problem, and my time would be more enjoyable watching a happy child, not an agitated one!

swcrazy
08-22-2006, 04:30 PM
I must admit I'm on the fence about saving places at restaurants. When I was a kid mom would take me and my brother to find a table while dad ordered. This meant that not only would we get a table, but only dad would place the order thereby removing my brother and I (2 noisy and often whiny kids) from the food line. This also avoids the "what do you want?" "I don't know" at the front of the line because he would know what we wanted before he even got in line.

On the other hand though my hubby and I decided to eat at River Bell Terrace last friday and it took forever to find a table. Most were occupied by 1 person waiting for a large group. Some were filled with people eating but most were people waiting either for food or Fantasmic (which was 3 hours away). By the time we finished eating, some of the groups hadn't shown up yet (but like I said I don't know if there were there for dinner or F!).

It makes me wonder if the wait time to order and receive food is sometimes longer than it takes to eat your meal which would mean those people saving seats are denying those who already have their food, and by the time the 1st group is done, then the table would reopen for the seat saver. Maybe in some cases Disney should assign seats at busy eateries just like they do for rides.

So like I said, I'm on the fence.

JookyG
08-22-2006, 06:30 PM
I would never say any thing to any one saving a spot for there kids,but then again i wont be waiting 90min for a show just because i want that soooooooooooooo special spot......And i am not trying to start any trouble,but all you lifers that live on this internet have got to chill out for us stupid people that just come on here to get some info about are trip,not live here and have some thing to say about every thing...sorry for that but you people seem to be on all forums now and you act like i just came in you home and spit on you....this is my last post..and i bet it gets taken off....BUT YOU PEOPLE REALLY NEED TO GET A LIFE......and yes that was in capital..:p :p :p :p

LOL! See ya! Thanks for the laff!

Maus
08-22-2006, 06:56 PM
Okay so last week I was at the park with a total of seven people. Two went to the bathroom while the rest of us waited at Indy. There was no line when they left and we just stood and let people go ahead of us. Well, 10 minutes later there was a line out into the Adventureland corridor. We decided we'd better start moving with the line. It took about five minutes more for the other two to return. We never lost sight of where we had been waiting, but yes, they had to say excuse me, excuse me to catch up with us. I did not realize we were being rude. It never entered my mind. :( Sorry.

DianeM
08-22-2006, 10:05 PM
I got the impression that it was saving a table while people were in line getting food. I think that saving a taking up an entire table while others are riding rides would be a bit excessive. I don't get the whole idea of saving a table for Fantasmic hours before the show. I suppose it's okay if there aren't people trying to eat, but if there are, then it's rude to make people eat standing up so your family can see a show. Sometimes, if you with a large group, you have to meet somewhere, and a table can be a good spot to do it. It's okay in casual restaurants, not service restaurants. It makes it too hard for the server to do their job.

Well, I am thinking everyone is entitled to their own definition of rude. Saving a table in a restaurant while all your party is out riding rides seems a bit far fetched to me but certainly does seem rude in my book too.

I still do not understand how someone saving a spot for fireworks, etc is rude, but obviously you do.

junglemom
08-23-2006, 05:45 AM
To all the mom's and dad's out there who take turns saving spots for their family during parades, fireworks, etc. THANK YOU!!! Watching little ones being forced to sit for 90+ minutes waiting for a parade is not fun for them, their parent or surrounding guests. As a non-parent it's not enjoyable to watch kids have meltdowns because their parents forced them to sit for 90 minutes to wait for a parade. So before a show, parade, fireworks save as many spots as you want, if I got there late thats my problem, and my time would be more enjoyable watching a happy child, not an agitated one!
That is my feeling. I would never want the people around me to have to deal with my restless kids. In fact I will think of things for them to do in the area, just to keep them out of others' hair. It never once crossed my mind that I was being rude. I don't ever take up more space than the 6 of us need. Really, do you want to sit next to 4 kids whining or getting restless? The space is the same, the 6 of us will be there for the show. If I saw a sign that told me no saving spots, then yes we would all be there making everyone else miserable. I think that is the reason there are no signs... the higher ups know it would make everyone miserable. And not because we are rude.

hlbtimes2
08-23-2006, 06:08 AM
It's okay in casual restaurants, not service restaurants. It makes it too hard for the server to do their job.

In my experience, the service restaurants will not seat you until your entire party has arrived. You wouldn't be able to hold a spot and wait for them.

When I was there in May with two friends we had PS for Carnation cafe. I got held up getting a black out pass, and they went in without me. They tried to check us in for breakfast and couldnt because I was missing. They wandered into a nearby store to wait. I then showed up and tried to check in- nope, had to be be all 3 of us. So, I had to wait for them to come back. :p

kikid
08-23-2006, 06:09 AM
I get to say what I'm about to say because I'm a moderator. (That's not meant to pull rank or step on toes or anything, just a reminder ;) You'll see what I mean... I'm trying to use my power for good. I promise.)

Don't. Take. The. Bait.

Don't. Take. The. Bait.

I know a lot of people of my parents' - ok, of my young uncle's/older cousin's - generation who can use capitalization and punctuation properly.

Don't. Take. The. Bait.

Adrienne

obviously didn't pass honors english last year!;)