PDA

View Full Version : Video Taping

nsaul1211
08-22-2006, 10:29 AM
Hi, I was planning on bringing a video camera today to DLand and was curious if they have problems if you tape while on some of the slower rides. I was thinking it could be fun to get some footage from Astro Blasters, POTC, or Haunted Mansion. I know that I have seen some people do it but I don't want to cause problems. I of course would have the LCD viewscreen turned off so that the light does not bother any other riders.

Thanks in advance!

hg0079
08-22-2006, 10:35 AM
I do remember hearing on TofT that you can't tape or take pictures but I don't know about other rides

JookyG
08-22-2006, 11:37 AM
There's very few attractions where Disney prohibits videotaping, but just like with flash photography, they're very clear about it when it is prohibited. Listen carefully for an announcement, and if you don't hear one, don't hesitate to tape inside your favorite ride! Everyone else does it :) In fact, Astro Blasters looks fantastic on video, even if your cam doesn't do so well in low light, because so much of the stuff lights up. If you're with friends or family, try close-up shots of them as they're shooting their blasters. The back of the guns light up and create a really cool lighting effect on the faces.

You'll have problems in some of the other dark rides, though, like HM or PotC. Your footage will probably be really dark, but definitely crank up the exposure on your cam and give it a try! Fantasyland dark rides are even darker and don't come out well at all on my cam.

One thing that might cause problems is the infrared mode that some video cams have. They usually have an infrared light that illuminates the subject. The light isn't visible to the human eye, and other guests can't see it, but it's visible to the IR cams. In rides like PotC, the security cams also use infrared. So when the CMs see you using your IR cam on the ride, it'll look to them like you've got a cam-mounted floodlight, which is strictly prohibited. I have a podcaster friend who had a problem with this before. The CMs kept making announcements that video lights weren't allowed, presumably not realizing that no one else could see it.

BTW, kudos for being polite enough to turn off your LCD! Not many folks are so thoughtful. Wouldn't matter so much in HM since the doombuggies are pretty enclosed, but on PotC it could be annoying to the folks behind you. Not as bad as all the folks who take flash photos, though :)

nsaul1211
08-22-2006, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the info! :)

geoffa
08-22-2006, 01:39 PM
Listen CAREFULLY to what is said if an announcement is made. If they say "No flash photography" then it means you can video or use still cameras as long as no additional light or flash is used. And, of course, don't use the LCD screen. If you can't tape they will tell you so. And they mean it! Also take into account the note above about Infra Red. Snow White, Peter Pan etc use a lot of U.V. (black light )and this does not always pick up on video cams unless you can up your exposure rates. POTC and IASW world are fine although POTC does have one or two dark areas. Worth bearing in mind that the souvenir DVDs / tapes often have scenes you couldn't possibly film like the Indiana Jones ride - well, not if you want to risk loosing your camera!

JookyG
08-22-2006, 03:42 PM
Good point about the souvenir DVDs! I'm guessing they turn up the lighting to get such good footage, so it'll be far superior to anything you could capture yourself, even with the best camcorder.

boots & saddles
08-22-2006, 08:02 PM
Good point about the souvenir DVDs! I'm guessing they turn up the lighting to get such good footage, so it'll be far superior to anything you could capture yourself, even with the best camcorder.

Speaking of souvenir DVD's a guy on Ebay was selling 50th anniversary DVD’s that he recorded himself. Nothing from inside the rides, but he had some great park shots and both parades, the one at DL and at CA. He also had the best video of the 50th celebration fireworks in it’s entirety including the music that you could hear real good. He did such a good job filming the fireworks I may not record them when we go in two weeks. I hate watching a good show through a viewfinder, plus I probably would not be able to do as good a job as he did.
I purchased mine last winter when we were first planning our trip. He may be still selling them. Worth checking.

potterphreak
08-22-2006, 08:32 PM
He does still sell those DVDs on eBay. I purchased 2 from him and they are amazing!!! The 50th includes Remember (one entire video in front of castle, one with shots in front of IASW), Parade of Dreams, and then Leann Rhimes singing on the official Anniversary Day, and then I got the F! video also. AMAZING!!! He said he was going to make a fall one so I am waiting for that one. Highly recommend!!

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZru42video

JookyG
08-22-2006, 09:23 PM
Alright, if we're plugging DVDs, then I gotta get my $0.02 in. I favor the Window to the Magic 50 Years of Magic DVD in 5.1 surround.

http://store.windowtothemagic.com/dl50thdvd.html

adriennek
08-22-2006, 09:31 PM
OMG THAT'S SO RUDE! I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU WOULD DO THAT!

Oh, wait, uhm, never mind.

Sorry, wrong thread. :D

Adrienne

I'm here all week, folks. Try the veal! Don't forget to tip your waitress!

JookyG
08-22-2006, 10:31 PM
LOL, sorry, I already took the bait!

Another Dimension
08-23-2006, 06:19 AM
Don't forget to tip your waitress!

But won't she fall over? :confused: ;)

Alyssa3467
08-23-2006, 06:31 AM
One thing that might cause problems is the infrared mode that some video cams have. They usually have an infrared light that illuminates the subject. The light isn't visible to the human eye, and other guests can't see it, but it's visible to the IR cams. In rides like PotC, the security cams also use infrared. So when the CMs see you using your IR cam on the ride, it'll look to them like you've got a cam-mounted floodlight, which is strictly prohibited. I have a podcaster friend who had a problem with this before. The CMs kept making announcements that video lights weren't allowed, presumably not realizing that no one else could see it.

I don't think the IR mode actually needs to be turned on for the camera to see it. I think most cameras would be able to pick up the IR used for the surveillance cameras.

GusMan
08-23-2006, 07:12 AM
I don't think the IR mode actually needs to be turned on for the camera to see it. I think most cameras would be able to pick up the IR used for the surveillance cameras.

For my Sony, I turn off the IR light that it uses while in night vision mode. I think other cameras also have this option. In most cases, you can get a lot of the detail by using just the IR mode without the light.

And yes, while in IR mode, you can see the IR light coming from the security cameras. It shows up as a bright light, sometimes steady, sometimes blinking.

ru42
08-23-2006, 11:14 AM
Greetings All!

I heard I was mentioned in this thread. Thanks potterphreak for the compliments. I am always please when I hear how people enjoy my DVDs. I try to make sure I catch the essence of being in the Park, not just on the ride.

From a person that has videotaped everything at DL and DCA as well as most rides at WDW, I can share a few insights with you. (I may be repeating a couple of your comments already)

Rule 1 - Be polite to your fellow guests. No LCD screens is a big thing. Careful where/how you hold the camera. Be sure you securely hold onto the camera on any fast moving ride.

Rule 2 - Obey Disney. There are 3 options in regards to rides. First, Disney might say no photography or videotaping of any kind. This means nothing allowed; like the 50th Film at the Opera House or many of the rides that contain 'stars' like Honey I Shrunk the Audience or Muppet 3D. Second, they can say no flash photography or exterior video lighting. This means as long as you do not add to the light of the show/ride you can shoot pictures or video tape. Third, if they say nothing then you can shoot flash pictures or video tape without a problem. (However, see rule #1; dont ruin it for someone else.

This 3rd one is important because a few rides do not say anything but to use your lights/flash would be rude: Splash Mountain, Peter Pans Flight, Pinocchio, Mr Toad, etc.

Rule 3 - IR is allowed, but you might hear a voice to tell you to stop using lighting. My camera has a built in IR light. I have never been asked to turn it off (again, I am someone who has taped 100's of hours of rides.) However, I also have an external IR amplification light. A couple times I have been asked to turn off my external lighting (even tho it wasn't visable to the naked eye.) I have warned ride operators about the light and sometimes they tell the control booth so I have no problems. Again, I have recorded 100's of hours o f footage with the IR Amp light and I can think of only 3 times when I have been asked to turn it off.

Advice 1 - If you go often, feel free to tape and explore this side of the magic. However, if you rarely go dont get trapped behind the camera. Rely on folks like me, Window, EAC, etc to do the work for you.

Advice 2 - If you tape a nightime show, like fireworks, become familair with your camera settings. On AUTO FOCUS mode you will find your video going in and out of focus. in AUTO SHUTTER mode in the darkness your camera's eye will go wide open. Then when a burst happens the first few seconds will be washed out until the 'eye' closes a little then you will see color.

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask me any questions. If you follow the link the potterphreak provided I would be happy to give you a deal on the shipping - just make sure you let me know you read about me here on the Pad.

Have a Disney day!

RU

JookyG
08-23-2006, 12:51 PM
Wow, great advice and information, ru42! Thanks for sharing!

doombuggy driver
08-23-2006, 06:43 PM
Hey ru42!

We bought your haunted mansion, phantom manor and disneyland Paris dvd's a while back on ebay. Our 5 year old DD LOVES them!!!!!!!! You are great thanks for the awesome dvds!!!!!!

Jewel of Orleans
08-28-2006, 11:45 AM
I ordered and (quickly!) received several of ru42's offerings, and all I can say is...

I am sooooo grateful for this!!!

I visited last September and just loved taking in all of the 50th Birthday Celebration touches. Sure, I have my Golden Ears and my petite prints of Shag's "Original Lands" series, but this CD captures so many things I wasn't able to during my visit. In fact, with versions of the fireworks show from both the Castle and Small World, it captures things I never even saw in the first place!

I know I'm not going to make it back before Disneyland is "on to the next thing," and I'm so glad I have this wonderful way to revisit an incredibly special time in the history of this amazing place!

ru42
08-30-2006, 02:32 PM
Thank you very much for the compliments; they truly are appeciated.

RU