PDA

View Full Version : My next plot - using $49 Airfaire SAC to SNA

Pat-n-Eil
08-21-2006, 12:26 PM
Ok, so my last plan to go to Disneyland as a last minute back to school surprise for my son failed miserably.. Wifey said no and that was that. So we got the house painted last week, did some home improvements, went to Home Depot and I did some "honey dos". I'm trying to build points..

Then when I heard that the Enhanced FastPasses were leaving in January, I sprung into my next plot to get down to the Magic Kingdom before the EFPs go away. Now, while my wife is a fan of being frugal, but also a fan of Disneyland and a fan of family activities & bonding, I'm trying to create a scenario to bring all of these things into play.

I've noticed that Aloha Airlines is having a sale right now where I can fly Sacramento to Orange County for $49 each way.. and I have enough air miles on my credit card to get round trip for one of us free. So with taxes and all that is only $118 total. (can't drive for that - Frugal).

Then, in order to get Enhance FastPasses we have to book into a Disney property for a minimum of 2 nights. I've found the Paradise Pier available for our timeframe for $704 for 2 people (son and I). Since the wife isn't as big a Disneyland fan as I and my son (family bonding) and since she's frugal, we could get this whole thing done for $822. I've been working on bringing in some extra income so that it technically is "windfall" money that is not coming out of our household budget.

The only bummer is that we'd have to go on a weekend (busy) but not a holiday weekend and it is off season. The EFPs help us to work with this increased crowdage. I saved a little more by only getting a 2 day parkhopper (Sat & Sun). I figure the park closes at 8:00pm in October probably so no use in trying to go Friday evening since we'd be arriving around closing time.

I really do want to have some alone time with my son, but I don't want it to sound manipulative to my wife so that she thinks I'm just using that as an excuse.. I'm telling you, there are a lot of dynamics at work here ;)

Anyhow.. I don't know how long a room will be available or how long the Aloha airfare sale will be on for.. so I think that is in my favor if I can tip the scales of my wife's mind toward letting this trip happen then applying the pressure of the sale possibly ending.

Wish me luck!

Crazy4DL
08-21-2006, 12:30 PM
LOL! Sounds like a plan to me! Good luck. :D

MammaSilva
08-21-2006, 12:47 PM
You're preaching to the choir in here bud! I personally know of a couple groups that haven't even got the dust off completely from their last trip that happened to start planning their NEXT trip :fez: Good luck with it!

annieb727
08-21-2006, 01:33 PM
good luck! i hope you can do it! let us know how it goes :)

DangerMouse
08-21-2006, 02:21 PM
Once you come up with your full presentation for your wife and she hears all your fine points and says "Yes, of course you should go dear, have fun!" Can I borrow it to use on my husband? He rolls his eyes every time I mention another DL trip. I :rolleyes: right back at him! Oh why did I have to marry a DL Muggle? ;)

Good luck planning your trip and mostly importantly, bringing it to fruition! Many, many trips I have planned, few I have taken.

MermaidHair
08-21-2006, 03:48 PM
If it were me I would give you a green light! Perhaps some Powerpoint slides would help?

Pat-n-Eil
08-22-2006, 08:36 AM
Well.. we're an an awkward point now.. I have a pale green light.

"I think it is expensive, but go ahead and take him if you want to".

If I read my wife correctly, I'm actually hearing: "I'm tired of hearing about this so just go then.. (but I'm going to use it against you later)."

Is this good enough? Do I need a more positive attitudinal response?

My biggest concern is that the rooms seem to be filling up more each day and I'm having to adjust my dates to even get one..

hmmmm..

MammaSilva
08-22-2006, 08:48 AM

"I think it is expensive, but go ahead and take him if you want to".

If I read my wife correctly, I'm actually hearing: "I'm tired of hearing about this so just go then.. (but I'm going to use it against you later)."

Is this good enough? Do I need a more positive attitudinal response?

My biggest concern is that the rooms seem to be filling up more each day and I'm having to adjust my dates to even get one..

hmmmm..

I vote go.....if you can't make both of you happy, go create a memory with your son, your wife might roll her eyes or say something later, but it won't take away those special moments with your son and you know what 10 years from now the cost of this trip won't have any impact in your life, but those memories you give your son ...priceless....

the mom who totally believes in memories.......vs cost....memories win every single time.

DangerMouse
08-22-2006, 08:55 AM
That's about as much of a green light as I would ever get from my dh, so I say GO GO GO! And realize you'll just have to deal with her using it against you later. What's a few more honey-do's added to your long list anyway? ;)

annieb727
08-22-2006, 09:18 AM
for my solo trip I got a kind of a green-ish yellow light (might have been more yellow than green)...dh is jealous cuz he wants to go (but this is the trip I had been planning to do in March and we had to change because of a family emergency). He can't get off work, and I have a friend taking the boys. And I'm going and going to have FUN.

I say GO FOR IT.

hg0079
08-22-2006, 09:38 AM
Go Go, Go Daddy, Go Go GO!

yellowrosedtxn
08-22-2006, 10:15 AM
I'm joining the others with the GO FORTH and have a great adventure! I think you and your son will have a great time and something you will always treasure!

Have fun and write a trip report when you get back!!!

Shelley

Crazy4DL
08-22-2006, 10:37 AM

hmmmm..

GO!! green is green, no matter how pale :~D :D

Have a ball and make those wonderful dad and son memories that are SO precious!

Pat-n-Eil
08-22-2006, 11:56 AM
GO!! green is green, no matter how pale :~D :D

Have a ball and make those wonderful dad and son memories that are SO precious!

On a side note - my daughter told me the other day that the time I took her down a couple of years ago to a fancy Art Deco theater downtown to see "Monty Python & the Holy Grail" was one of her favorite memories. I thought it was fun too, but she really remembers it with great fondness.

I think that is what happens when you do special things with your kids. You never know how special it is until later.

hg0079
08-22-2006, 12:21 PM
our favorite memory of going is when our dad suprised us with the grab your coats we are going just us! It was great....again go do it

sjcivilady
08-22-2006, 12:24 PM
ok....your son didn't get to go to Alaska, so he should get to go to Disneyland. lol -- joan (p.s. I just signed up for an acctg class at SJ Delta j.c. and there's a test the week I'm at Disneyland....oh well...good thing we get to throw out one test during the semester...ha ha)

Pat-n-Eil
08-22-2006, 01:24 PM
California Screamin' will be closed in October & November?

This might change everything...

rentayenta
08-22-2006, 01:32 PM
That's about as much of a green light as I would ever get from my dh, so I say GO GO GO! And realize you'll just have to deal with her using it against you later. What's a few more honey-do's added to your long list anyway? ;)

I am with DangerMouse. And you couldn't possibly think the majority of us would say fuggetaboutit, now did you? ;)

Crazy4DL
08-22-2006, 02:56 PM

I think that is what happens when you do special things with your kids. You never know how special it is until later.

I think you are so right.

My kids are 31, nearly 30 and nearly 27 - already! When I hear them telling stories of trips we made or just memories that we made together, my heart just about brust with joy. You will make memories with them as adults but those memories will be even more special as they remember thier childhood memories with you.

cpeak
08-22-2006, 06:02 PM
I would go for it. I recently had a similar situation with my husband. I will be flying with my dds in Oct. for a mom and girls weekend. He wasn't thrilled because we will be going in Nov. also. But he gave the same pale green light you described, so I took it and ran and booked the trip. He hasn't harrassed me about it too much. I know its mean, but he has learned to live with my Disney obsession I guess. I would do it now!

Pat-n-Eil
08-24-2006, 06:23 AM
Well.. I know you all are just hanging on the edge of your seats to know if I'm going or not right? :rolleyes:

I talked at length with the wifey and my son and we looked at the costs and the reasons to go in addition to Christmas coming up and the fact that we are all going for sure next June, and we decided to scrap this idea for now. :( I will come up with something closer to home to do with my son.

I came around to my wife's reasoning and with California Screamin' being down when we could go plus the fact that we really would rather not go on a weekend and for just a weekend we've resolved the idea that we've obtained our last enhanced FastPass..

So - I will just have to work on making our June trip the best it can be. I sure hope Jetblue and Aloha can keep these low fares for awhile.. (crossing fingers)

Crazy4DL
08-24-2006, 08:06 AM
Sorry you won't be making an extra run to Disneyland but you really can make special memories with your son at other places. Really you can . . . I think . . :p ;)

June trip will be all that more awesome. :)