PDA

View Full Version : How do you go to Disneyland?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Sub Maniak
08-20-2006, 12:48 PM
I want to know, where do you go through to get to DL? What kind of transportation do you use?

Share.:D

rentayenta
08-20-2006, 01:03 PM
When we don't drive, we fly Jet Blue, SLC to LGB. We book ourselves. Best airline ever!!!!!!

tlovesdis
08-20-2006, 01:09 PM
We used to drive from the Bay Area down 5, but now we fly Oakland to Long Beach! I second the "best airline ever"!!!

IcDkRy16
08-20-2006, 01:12 PM
We drive from Livermore to Anaheim. It usually only take about 5 hours depending on how bad the traffic in LA is.

annieb727
08-20-2006, 01:16 PM
When we are trying to save money (or our whole family is going) we drive - it's about an 18 hour drive - but air fare for four is awfully expensive.

I'm flying down for my solo trip - $300 airline ticket is better than spending 36 hours driving and $350 in gas! And if we can get good deals if we go just dh and I, then it's generally about $450 and save the headache of driving.

08-20-2006, 01:36 PM
1.Puddle jumper plane (either Saab jet or old prop plane) from small regional airport to either Minneapolis or Chicago.

2. Large jet to John Wayne. If it's through Minneapolis, it's Northwest. If it's Chicago, then United.

jMom
08-20-2006, 01:42 PM
We drive down 101 to 580 to 5. Takes about 8-10 hours in a van (Toyota Sienna) w/ our kids (3.5 yr & 19 mo). Even though the drive is 2 hours longer than when we lived in the Bay Area proper, I'd rather do that than drive ~2 hrs to an airport, park the car, shuttle to the airport (which would be OAK), go through security, juggle the kids en route, and then shuttle or get a rental (w/ car seats) ... all by myself! I mean, by the time we touched down in LA, we'd almost be at Bakersfield in the van.

Besides: no liquids? With kids? or my natual dehydrated, water-bottle-lovin' self? Nah! Total drive preference! We sing, watch DVDs, and talk. Oh, and then there's the airbourne illnesses -- don't want anyone else's and I know no one wants ours! ;>

We also visit my inlaws and I get work done at a regional office or two. Even with the insane gas prices, much more relaxed and efficient that way.

Wendi
08-20-2006, 01:54 PM
We usually fly Southwest from SMF (Sacramento) to LAX, but we have driven a few times too! We went once a year when we were kids, my parents always drove.

nvmom
08-20-2006, 02:04 PM
We drive 2.5 hrs to Reno NV. We spend the night at the Airport Plaza Hotel, where we can leave our van for no charge. We take the shuttle to the aiport at 5:00 a.m. We board Aloha Airlines at 6:30 & take off at 6:50 and fly non-stop 1 hr & 10 minutes to SNA. When we get to baggage we call tony (the limoking) and he pulls up to the curb. We jump in his van and head to straight our hotel. Since we go off season, DLR doesn't open until 10:00 a.m. on Thurs, and we're checked into our motel (or left luggage) and we're in the park before it opens. :)

nvmom

momuvseven
08-20-2006, 02:52 PM
I have been really tempted by Aloha Airline packages. Their schedule can't be beat, non-stop at I think 0630 and there by 0830 and then the return is about nine at night and non stop into Reno by ten thirty. Great prices.

Do you have to spend the night to use the Airport Plaza parking?

If only I could convince DH that flying would be better than the drive. I am so tired of driving with the kids. We try everything but you just can't get past ten to twelve hours confined in the car together.

frank828
08-20-2006, 02:59 PM
umm 91 west to the 57 south exit katella...takes about 15-20 min.

i've considered a plane but that really wouldnt be practical haha

rentayenta
08-20-2006, 04:30 PM
Like jMom pointed out, those are the reasons we drive too. By the time we land and with all of the airport headaches, renting a car etc., we'd be half way there from Utah. Plus the kids love watching movies and chatting about all of the fun things we are going to do. A few miles before we get to our hotel, the PPH or DLH, we pop in the soundtrack to Aladdin. Always. We sing at the tops of our lungs and must look like the biggest fools. :geek:

newhdplayer
08-20-2006, 04:43 PM
umm 91 west to the 57 south exit katella...takes about 15-20 min.

91 west to 57 south exit Ball road ( I think quicker than Katella) into M&F's.

junglemom
08-20-2006, 05:17 PM
By car. I-10 west to I-8 west to I-5 north. It's only 8 hours.

DianeM
08-20-2006, 05:21 PM
Driving is my preference. We flew down, once, but my husband likes to drive and it really isn't a bad drive from Grass Valley (northeast of Sacramento). 80 to Sacramento then I-5 straight in, takes 8 hours if we don't rush.

I want to know, where do you go through to get to DL? What kind of transportation do you use?

Share.:D

darph nader
08-20-2006, 05:35 PM
By car. I-10 west to I-8 west to I-5 north. It's only 8 hours.

Same here,except we take I-8 to 805 to I-5.Cuts about 5 miles and a 'bad' merge off the trip.:cool:

MammaSilva
08-20-2006, 05:36 PM
Ca 12 to the I 5 = door to door seems to take 8 hours no matter what I do LOL..

junglemom
08-20-2006, 05:37 PM
Same here,except we take I-8 to 805 to I-5.Cuts about 5 miles and a 'bad' merge off the trip.:cool:
We actually do that too. I just forgot to throw that part in. I like this route so much better than the Phoenix/Riverside route.

disneyhound
08-20-2006, 05:48 PM
We fly out of small airport, 1/2 hour drive south of us, on a puddle-jumper prop plane. The airport is only served by United. Connect up with a jet in either Sacramento or San Francisco to SNA/LAX depending upon flight times and cost. Then just a van ride to the happiest place on earth!

Rhiannon8404
08-20-2006, 05:50 PM
We are off right off I-5 in Sacramento, so it's a straight shot down 5 to DL. We get up very early and leave at like 4am. It usually takes around 6½ hrs.

Susan L
08-20-2006, 06:53 PM
Well if we drive, we leave the Sierra Nevada and head west until we hit the 5 and then head south to southern California. If we fly, we make a 2 hour drive to Reno to take a plane from Reno to Las Vegas to John Wayne.

white fire
08-20-2006, 07:39 PM
drive. I10/57/Ball about 4 1/2 hours from my door.

DorisZ
08-20-2006, 07:50 PM
We live down the hill from Lake Tahoe. We take 395; we leave about 5am.

Drive and have breakfast with b&s-i-l in Bishop. Stay on 395s to 15S to 91 and then the rest depends on where we are staying. With the breakfast stop and a gas stop or two we usually get to our motel between 1 and 2 in the afternoon. Not a bad drive really, except for the sections where there are very few passing zones. I guess 15 may have road construction this next trip (October) so then we will take 395 to 14 to 5. We try to avoid 5 around LA, but sometimes it can't be helped.

Flew a few times, hated it, plane trouble or no direct flights at the time so didn't get to Anaheim until later than when we drive. Then we would have to rent a car. And tried going over to Sacramento and taking 5 all the way down, too many trucks.

Leap for Joy
08-20-2006, 08:28 PM
We actually do that too. I just forgot to throw that part in. I like this route so much better than the Phoenix/Riverside route.
Same here! We tried the I-8 route for the first time last year and it's so much better!

kiwifuz
08-20-2006, 08:45 PM
We fly, period. We live in the midwest so there's no driving happening here. It might be an interesting drive but it would "drive" me nuts.

We fly United out of Chicago. DH has a ton of miles with them and is a big fan. I don't think I care either way but they're usually competitive. Plus I like their flight times in & out of So Cal. If we're just doing DL we usually try to fly in & out of SNA. If we're doing some things around LA we'll fly into or out of LAX (I prefer into since out is awful with rental car return). Or somtimes we'll do things down around San Diego & United usually has more deals for that available when we're looking so we'll fly into or out of something down there also.

I hear the train is cool, but again, I don't sit for that long.