PDA

View Full Version : Traffic question

mistofviolets
08-18-2006, 05:15 PM
We're going to be driving south (from the bay area) along the I5...our first road trip with two kids prone to motion sickness. I want to avoid as much traffic as possible. What time should we plan to enter LA?

I was hoping to arrive 9 ish to see the fire works from the hotel, get straight to bed and be ready for an early morning in the park. Dh is now suggesting we drive through the night and try to be at the park opening...or plan to arrive at Disney no later than noon.

What are the traffic patterns on a Monday evening?

And on a thursday morning, for that matter? (When we'll be leaving for home...)

I hope its okay to ask for driving info...I searched and could only find road trip tricks :) (good ones, too!)

Koala Gurl
08-18-2006, 06:31 PM
Not sure how traffic is thru the central valley, but my guess is once you hit the Grapevine you should be OK again until about downtown LA. I would definitely try to avoid reaching downtown before 7pm (which should have you at the park by 8ish...give or take of course).

I left Valencia (north LA) around 6 and got to DLR probably about 7, 7:30 (can't remember exactly!)

In general, traffic patterns into downtown LA will be lighter than once you hit downtown LA going south. (Though, now thinking about it, it could be different if there is a Dodger's baseball game!)

OK, did I just confuse you more??? :)

MammaSilva
08-18-2006, 07:08 PM
We're going to be driving south (from the bay area) along the I5...our first road trip with two kids prone to motion sickness. I want to avoid as much traffic as possible. What time should we plan to enter LA?

I was hoping to arrive 9 ish to see the fire works from the hotel, get straight to bed and be ready for an early morning in the park. Dh is now suggesting we drive through the night and try to be at the park opening...or plan to arrive at Disney no later than noon.

And on a thursday morning, for that matter? (When we'll be leaving for home...)

I hope its okay to ask for driving info...I searched and could only find road trip tricks :) (good ones, too!)

I just did this drive...I left Fairfield on Thursday morning about 9:30am, did the CA 12 to I-5 just above Stockton and put the Yukon on cruise control at a simple 79 MPH....we stopped for lunch at Kettleman at 11:30 and were at the bottom of the grapevine before 1pm...we pulled into the parking lot of our hotel at 2:30...right at the crosswalk on Harbor. VERY smooth drive, minimum traffic. IF you hit Los Angeles between noon and 2 it's really not bad..

DianeM
08-18-2006, 07:54 PM
There always seems to be traffic in LA when I go there, but rush hour is the same as it is in the bay area (heaviest traffic 3-7). It takes roughly 7-8 hours (from Foster City), without a lot of stops or traffic. I'm thinking that with kids you're going to need to take more stops, so make allowances.

ralfrick
08-18-2006, 10:37 PM
Barring traffic horrors we can make it in just under 6 hours from Fremont.
Will confirm 9 hours from now.

Cheers.

momuvseven
08-19-2006, 06:03 AM
Some of my children have suffered from motion sickness and the only way we could travel with them was by using dramamine. They would sleep the entire way.

David&Emmy's Mom
08-19-2006, 07:02 AM
My sister's kids always had a long road trip to go to Grandma's, so started calling Dramamine "Grandma-beans.":)

nightdesigns
08-19-2006, 04:45 PM
If it looks like you'll be hitting LA during the traffic time, head east on the 210 and then south on the 57. It's about 20 more miles than going straight, but there's usually less traffic.

Sguidgit
08-19-2006, 05:03 PM
If it looks like you'll be hitting LA during the traffic time, head east on the 210 and then south on the 57. It's about 20 more miles than going straight, but there's usually less traffic.

My parents did this on their last trip here. I guess there was an article about it in the San Jose Mercury News. Anyway, they said it was going a bit out of the way, and it took an hour once they got onto 210. However, they also said that it was a much smoother drive unlike the hell that is I-5 at times. I haven't done it myself though. Good luck! LA traffic is what is making me eventually move out of this place!

mistofviolets
08-19-2006, 06:06 PM
Thanks...I'm making note!

I'm one of those people who grocery shops at 10am to avoid the crowds...LA traffic horror stories have me a bit worried!

bassett1976
08-19-2006, 06:41 PM
LA Traffic 101:

Morning rush hour is from 6:30 am till at least 10 am, mostly going Westbound but can affect the north/south bound as well. From 10 am till about 11 am it can be heavy but moving.

Afternoon/Evening rush hour starts about 3:00 pm (sometimes earlier on Fridays/Holiday Get Away Days) and lasts till about 7:00 pm. From 2:00 pm to 3:00 pm can be heavy but moving and the same thing is true for 7:00 pm till 8:00 pm.

My two suggestions are:
1) Take the 5 to the 210 east bound, 210 to the 605 south, hit the carpool lane, exit carpool lane and go on the 91 east, hit the capool lane again, use carpool lane to exit onto 5 south carpool lane, exit Disney Way via carpool lane.
Advantage: Get the most out of car pool lanes.
Disadvantage: Can still take a long time during both rush hour time frames.

2) Take the 5 to the 210 east bound, 210 to the 57 south, hit the carpool lane, exit carpool lane around the 91 transition but DO NOT get on the 91, exit Ball Road and head West.
Advantage: Not usually too bad after about 11am.
Disadvantage: 57 has some construction around the 60 freeway that can make heavy traffic really bad for a while. Further down on the 57 you'll hit the Orange Crush that can have you slow going for many hours.

Other Things to Consider: Going through the Grapevine is always an adventure. If you run into an accident/forest fire/etc. you might be stuck for a LONG time. Make sure you start listening to the traffic reports as soon as you can (maybe around the grapevine) so that you can avoid some bad accidents that always have issues.

disney jones
08-19-2006, 06:59 PM
one of my DD's gets car sick - the best thing i found was just to drive at night, while she's asleep.

i also found in-car movies, i.e. DVDs, definitely do not help.

and those popcorn buckets you get at DLR? let's just say i finally found a good use for them - they are essential for any trip.

one trip i had in her in the van, she "decorated" one seat in the back. i got it half way cleaned up, so the next day i moved her to the other seat. yep, she got that seat too.

that's the same trip i learned Lysol Disinfectant Wipes were a pretty fine product. Along with the popcorn buckets, those are a must.

But the best tip? Just drive at night after their bed time.