PDA

View Full Version : How are October Crowds [and/or Weather] [merged]?

pooh0200
08-18-2006, 09:48 AM
Specifically the second weekend. This would be a trip for 2007, so I know things can change but how are the crowds? We are wanting to do Disney for a couple of days and then San Diego for a day or 2. So what do you think?

Leslie

stan4d_steph
08-18-2006, 10:02 AM
Do a search on "october crowds" and you'll find many, many threads.

Here's one that may be of interest (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=56931&highlight=october+crowds).

Mom2
09-17-2006, 09:37 PM
This might blend in with the how busy are the parks thread...sorry in advance if it has already been discussed. I am hearing that the parks capacity is around 80,000. I posted in the other thread about Gay Pride Week and the CHOC Walk for the beginning of October. We are actually going to be there October 5-9. Leaving on the 10th. I am now a bit concerned about the crowds, I mean, I have been there when they have been pretty packed around Memorial Day weekend (not this year though) and I know kind of what to expect...but I am trying to imagine if I have ever been there when the park was close to full capacity. Are there any Cast Members on here that can ansswer how busy they expect to be with these groups adding to the crowds? Maybe I should give Disneyland a call. I am a bit concerned about my elderly mother and the stress of these crowds that we didnt expect. Thanks! :)

jdee
09-18-2006, 04:48 AM
I don't think these two events will bring the park to capacity level. Enjoy your trip!

bradk
09-18-2006, 05:47 AM
isn't Disneyland more like around 50,000? dunno what DCA is...

Malcon10t
09-18-2006, 07:48 AM
This might blend in with the how busy are the parks thread...sorry in advance if it has already been discussed. I am hearing that the parks capacity is around 80,000. I posted in the other thread about Gay Pride Week and the CHOC Walk for the beginning of October. We are actually going to be there October 5-9. Leaving on the 10th. I am now a bit concerned about the crowds, I mean, I have been there when they have been pretty packed around Memorial Day weekend (not this year though) and I know kind of what to expect...but I am trying to imagine if I have ever been there when the park was close to full capacity. Are there any Cast Members on here that can ansswer how busy they expect to be with these groups adding to the crowds? Maybe I should give Disneyland a call. I am a bit concerned about my elderly mother and the stress of these crowds that we didnt expect. Thanks! :)Park capacity is not 80,000. Totally attendence on one of the busiest days was 76,000. I think capacity is closer to 56,000, but it varies depending on what rides are open, what areas are closed, etc... I doubt that week will come near capacity at all. It may be very busy and crowded, but not near capacity.

danyoung
09-18-2006, 10:01 AM
Totally attendence on one of the busiest days was 76,000. I think capacity is closer to 56,000...

Umm, this doesn't make sense. If the park's capacity is 56,000, then there would be no way to fit 76,000 in. Which number is correct?

bradk
09-18-2006, 10:03 AM
all i know is the haunted mansion is on record to have a capacity of 1000.

JookyG
09-18-2006, 10:35 AM
Umm, this doesn't make sense. If the park's capacity is 56,000, then there would be no way to fit 76,000 in. Which number is correct?

Not everyone stays until close. Total attendance could include people who came and left, thereby making room for more to arrive, not just maximum number of people in the park at one time.

Or does the discrepancy between capacity and total attendance include DCA?

danyoung
09-18-2006, 11:51 AM
Well, the question on the floor isn't how many people can go through the parks in a day, but what the capacity is in DL. In other words, how many people can cram in at the same time in Disneyland Park?

tod
09-18-2006, 12:50 PM
The highest recorded attendance at Disneyland is 82,516 on August 16, 1969, the Saturday after the Haunted Mansion opened.

I don't remember if I was there or not, but like everybody else in Southern California I had been looking at the shell on the banks of the Rivers of America since before Walt died* and I wouldn't be surprised if I were.

--t
*One of my grimmer jokes was "The reason the Haunted Mansion opening has been delayed? The're afraid Walt will show up."

adriennek
09-18-2006, 01:27 PM
I know it's higher than 50K because there have been times in the past 8 years that they only brought out the Sailing Ship Columbia when they expected attendance to hit at least 50K.

It takes a lot to hit capacity. I seriously doubt that October 5 through 9 would come close. The two days that come close to capacity are usually July 4 and New Year's Eve. Frankly, no crowds can rival how bad it gets the week between Christmas and New Years. Thanksgiving weekend can come close. That Christmas week can get NAS-TY.

Calling Disney won't really help. They tend to keep attendance figures to themselves.

It will probably be busy but especially with the 50th Anniversary winding down, I would not expect insane.

Adrienne

Malcon10t
09-18-2006, 02:45 PM
Well, the question on the floor isn't how many people can go through the parks in a day, but what the capacity is in DL. In other words, how many people can cram in at the same time in Disneyland Park?
It varies. It depends on the rides that are open, the areas that are closed of, etc... The Fire Marshall determines the capacity based on how many people can fit where. It routinely hits capacity the week between Christmas and New Years, and on the 4th of July. I seriously doubt it will be anywhere near capacity the first week of Oct.

Malcon10t
09-18-2006, 02:48 PM
Umm, this doesn't make sense. If the park's capacity is 56,000, then there would be no way to fit 76,000 in. Which number is correct?Let's say capacity today is 55,000. Fire Marshall closes gates when the park is that full. Now after it closes 2000 people leave and 2000 new people get to enter. So now ATTENDENCE has been 57,000 and it goes on like that all day. Very often a lot of people leave for good in the late after noon and a lot of people will show up for the first time after work inthe evening. Its very easy to have a high attendence without reaching capacity.

Mom2
09-18-2006, 09:58 PM
Thanks everyone! You have set my mind at ease.

sulley
09-25-2006, 12:36 PM
Hello all,
It's been way to long since my last DL fix, (we just got back from WDW the beginning of Sept) and my husband planted a seed that he would like to go to DL Oct 19 - 22!!! YEAH I am so excited. So immediately I go into planning mode, really that is all that I have done today. We have found a really good package and great airfare,now I just need to get him to say go for it! I also need to know from anyone that would know, how are the crowds this time of year? How about the weather? It is cold, should we plan on wearing jeans the whole time, or are shorts do-able? In the past we have gone to DL the last week of August, first week of September and the crowds were okay. Will it be busy like that or less? I am sure that the weekends will be busier than Thursday and Friday, right?

Any help would be great! Thanks in advance

danyoung
09-26-2006, 05:38 AM
Let's say capacity today is 55,000. Fire Marshall closes gates when the park is that full. Now after it closes 2000 people leave and 2000 new people get to enter. So now ATTENDENCE has been 57,000 and it goes on like that all day.

Interesting. I've heard the numbers many times over the years, but I've never stopped to think that that 80,000 number didn't actually mean that all of them were there at the same time. Makes sense when you ponder it a bit!