PDA

View Full Version : Happiest New Years on earth!

tigga please
08-18-2006, 09:43 AM
since everyone is getting jazzed over visiting DL over the holidays, i figured NYE deserved its own thread. ive only been to DL for one NYE, but it was one of the best times ive ever had at the resort! the park stayed open till 1am. the countdown on Main St. was wall to wall people (there are some pics in the photo thread), all sharing in the magic, dancing in the street to what seemed to be a club mix instead of the regular park music - i think we heard Justin Timberlake haha. anyways, the fireworks were amazing! & even though there were tons of people, i dont remember waiting longer than 15-25 per ride (space mtn had the 25min queue).

is anyone planning on attending this year? have you before? share a story!

ZeonStar
08-18-2006, 10:12 AM
Yep, me and my Fiancee are going for New Years as well for our first time. It will be her first time also seeing the Park during the Holidays as well. I'm also inviting my Mother and her Husband to come. My Mom needs to get to Disneyland. trust me. :)

It's going to be busy as heck I'm sure, but this is a one time thing we want to do.

I am making the deposit to AAA today as a matter of fact for the trip. We are going 12-28 to 1-2, staying at the Disneyland Hotel.

JookyG
08-18-2006, 10:33 AM
I really dread crowds like that, but it can't be worse than Times Square, and I've always wanted to do that for NYE sometime.

Just don't plan on going on a lot of rides on that trip, or make a point of getting in the park for rope drop and making full use of fastpass. Anyway, by then you'll be trained on how to slow down and enjoy the scenery and entertainment more :D

ZeonStar
08-18-2006, 10:36 AM
Don't I know you?

Malcon10t
08-18-2006, 10:38 AM
We've been doing NYE in the park since 1999. We skipped 2003 so my son could get his permit before the new laws went into effect in 2004!

We've had so many good memories... Stompy Jones playing at the Carnation, Fantasmic! viewing... OK, I do have a great memory.

2002 some not so great things happened to my family. So, we decided to go all out and enjoy NYE at the park. We reserved 3 rooms at the Hilton (got an excellent rate), one for boys, one for girls, and one for me and a friend. We started planning in the summer, and my oldest son was playing his last season of HS football. The school the kids attended was brand new, but in a very poor area. The entire Varsity team consisted of 13 players. They ended up losing the season 1-9. BUT, they were a team all the way. There were only 5 seniors on the team. So, in December, I talked to my kids and we decided that all the boys could share a room and we would bring down the seniors with us. (My daughter also brought a female friend, so I didn't get in trouble.) None of these boys had EVER been to Disneyland. One had never ever even stayed in a motel! We had concierge level rooms at the Hilton and they had access to the exercise area. We treated them to 5 days in the park. It was SOOOOO much fun watching 6 teen boys (my boys and 4 teammates) look in awe at things we take for granted. The kids could not believe someone would do this for them. We got pics of them with Mickey Mouse, riding all the rides, they all made Build a Bears for younger sisters and moms. At New Years, they all sat with me in front of the castle to watch fireworks and play with the beachballs that come out each year. 4 years later, they are all still friends. And they still call me Mom. So my favorite memory was being at Disneyland with 9 teens and loving it!

tigga please
08-18-2006, 10:53 AM
Don't I know you?

this directed at me? i visit hayward from time to time.
how were the hotel rates for the DH?

Malcon10t - GREAT story! now that is what DL is all about. you brought some kids together that will probably go on being friends for life. touching.

ZeonStar
08-18-2006, 11:10 AM
No, sorry, it was for Jooky. I was just being silly. Ignore me. Interesting that you goto hayward often though.

The Hotel is expensive of course, even with AAA but we love it. I think it's gonna be about $1600 for the room and tickets.

annieb727
08-18-2006, 11:20 AM
We've been doing NYE in the park since 1999. We skipped 2003 so my son could get his permit before the new laws went into effect in 2004!

We've had so many good memories... Stompy Jones playing at the Carnation, Fantasmic! viewing... OK, I do have a great memory.

2002 some not so great things happened to my family. So, we decided to go all out and enjoy NYE at the park. We reserved 3 rooms at the Hilton (got an excellent rate), one for boys, one for girls, and one for me and a friend. We started planning in the summer, and my oldest son was playing his last season of HS football. The school the kids attended was brand new, but in a very poor area. The entire Varsity team consisted of 13 players. They ended up losing the season 1-9. BUT, they were a team all the way. There were only 5 seniors on the team. So, in December, I talked to my kids and we decided that all the boys could share a room and we would bring down the seniors with us. (My daughter also brought a female friend, so I didn't get in trouble.) None of these boys had EVER been to Disneyland. One had never ever even stayed in a motel! We had concierge level rooms at the Hilton and they had access to the exercise area. We treated them to 5 days in the park. It was SOOOOO much fun watching 6 teen boys (my boys and 4 teammates) look in awe at things we take for granted. The kids could not believe someone would do this for them. We got pics of them with Mickey Mouse, riding all the rides, they all made Build a Bears for younger sisters and moms. At New Years, they all sat with me in front of the castle to watch fireworks and play with the beachballs that come out each year. 4 years later, they are all still friends. And they still call me Mom. So my favorite memory was being at Disneyland with 9 teens and loving it!

what an awesome story!! thanks for sharing it!!

JookyG
08-18-2006, 11:27 AM

Pure Disney magic. THAT is what it's all about. You just made a grown man get all misty-eyed :D

Malcon10t
08-18-2006, 12:01 PM
Pure Disney magic. THAT is what it's all about. You just made a grown man get all misty-eyed :DThanks! These boys were the greatest. One kid (never been, never stayed in a motel, didn't have a suitcase!) didn't want to sleep! He would be up at 6am getting the rest up so they could swim/play in the gym/go to the park etc... We told him "Sleep in a little!" and his response was "I can sleep at home, I won't be able to do this again." We took them all to Mimi's and it was funny to see them all look at the menu and try and find the lowest priced item to order. (3 were going to order grilled cheese, which is great, but not when the only reason you are ordering it was because it is cheap!) We all look at teens in the park and just know they will cause trouble. It was so much fun being with these kids and I learned there are a lot of kids who don't cause trouble! This was probably my favorite trip.

tigga please
08-18-2006, 12:18 PM
No, sorry, it was for Jooky. I was just being silly. Ignore me. Interesting that you goto hayward often though.

The Hotel is expensive of course, even with AAA but we love it. I think it's gonna be about $1600 for the room and tickets.

sounds about right. i called for AP prices for Dec.29 for 4 nights.
this is what i got per night:

DCA no concierge
------
w/ resort view: $450
w/ dt disney view: $401
w/ city view: $360

DH no concierge
------
w/ resort view: $320
w/ pool view: $320
w/ city view: $302

PP no concierge
------
w/ resort view: $302
w/ city view: $239

...im thinking either the HoJo or the Camelot this year. right now the Camelot has a one king room for $141 web special. my medical dispensary is in hayward, so i frequent but its always a quick in and out.

pisces
08-18-2006, 01:11 PM
Here's my short trip report from last NYE. It rained....

The parades were cancelled, but the special entertainment seemed to go forward, even though stages and dance floors were wet.

During the Stompy Jones Boogie swing party, you'd see this mop lady, wielding her mop (swishing it around on the floor) amidst all the swing dancers, to get rid of the puddles.

The Boogie Swing Plaza Gardens Stage was truly flooded, but the rain had stopped and they were still trying to mop it up as the dancing was began. That mop lady looked like Carol Burnett. It was so funny, her doing her mopping amidst all the dancing.

Did I have a good time?

From what I remember of it. I was awake from 6:30 am, that morning when I got to the maingate. I would have stayed in the Park all the way through till 2:00 am, had I not had to go back to the hotel to change wet clothes.

It was fun being on Splash at 2:00 am, as my last ride of that day.

From 10:00 pm till 10:30, I was on Space Mountain. I then decided to go have dinner at French Market at 11:00 pm. For the life of me, I could not tell you how I managed to get from Tomorrowland to NOS on NYE at 10:45 pm. I'm sure I crawled under ropes, hopped over railing, darted in and out of crowds etc. Somehow I got to French Market for dinner from 11:00-11:30 pm (ish) which was nice with the live entertainment at the French Market stage. I had no reservations, and was thrilled to get in and get my fried chicken for dinner on a NYE.

At about 11:30pm, I made my way from NOS, to the front of the castle, and once again, I could not tell you how I got there, other than jumping over ropes, people, fences etc....

Somehow, I did manage to get to the front of the Castle, (I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize to all the people I stepped over/stepped on to get there) .

My viewing area was not great, though. Technically it was the front of the castle, but partially obscured by a few trees. Oh well, I just remember a lot of bright colors and Yankee Doodle Dandy music. The colors seemed a lot brighter and more vivid than the 9:25 fireworks.

After the fireworks, I decided the best place to be was Honey I shrunk the Audience, and once again, made my way there, stepping on/over ....who knows how many people.

Again, sorry to all those who got stepped on/squished by me.

Malcon10t
08-18-2006, 01:29 PM
sounds about right. i called for AP prices for Dec.29 for 4 nights.
this is what i got per night:

DCA no concierge
------
w/ resort view: $450
w/ dt disney view: $401
w/ city view: $360
I just checked concierge, and its an added $325 a night. I'm over at the Residence Maingate!

WITron
08-18-2006, 02:36 PM
My wife and I have spent several New Year's Eves at DL and it has always been a blast. The first year in 1996 we met up with some friends and just sat down at a restraunt and had something to eat while we chatted. Over the speakers they were playing Mouse House, which is a collection of updated Disney Music.

Then we went in 1999. We knew waht to expect and did not go on alot of the attractions, but just soaked up the atmosphere. At about 10pm we went and found a spot about halfway down Main Street and enjoyed it greatly. That year they were playing Prince's "Party Like It's 1999." At one point we looked up and saw someone on the roof with a camera filming the scene.

cstephens
08-18-2006, 10:47 PM
We spent this past New Year's at Disneyland and had a great time. Here's the trip report for anyone who's interested. (http://www.colddeadfish.net/dlr/dlr123105tr.html) I doubt that we'll be at the resort this coming New Year's. We're thinking of doing something with the Rose Parade, and with a week-long vacation starting several days after New Year's, DL is probably out of the picture.

momuvseven
08-19-2006, 06:18 AM
We were there last year and it was quite an experience not to be missed. However this year we are going in mid December.

Last year we stayed at the BW Raffles and got everyone up and walked to the park in the dark so that we could be there for early entry. The day started out beautiful and we went on dozens and dozens of rides before having a Character Breakfast at the Plaza. We had PS and that was great since the park was starting to get busy with long standby lines at the Plaza. We then went to see Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus and the reindeer, pure magic. Then it seems like about 1pm the rain started and people were leaving in droves. DH found us ponchos and we sloshed on through our day with quite a bit of time spent in Innoventions trying to dry out with some other diehards. There was still a very festive atmosphere. We were also chosen as the family to be the Parade Grand Marshalls that day but the parade was cancelled due to rain. We still got our signs to take home and our Mickey Golden Ears.

At one point DH left to get dry clothes for everyone and by the time he got back it was dark, the rain had stopped and the park was filling up again. By about 8pm it was just wall to wall people and we were exhausted. Around 930pm we just decided we weren't up to it anymore, we are not night owls ever, so we went back to our hotel and ordered in Chinese. Midnight we were on the balcony watching the fireworks from our room. We heard later that DCA was really quiet and we should have gone there instead. The crowds at DLR were just to much for us but I think that is because we started our day so early and had put up with the rain.

The days before NYE were busy in the park but we always arrived early and got on plenty or rides and saw all the shows we wanted to. I would plan on staying where you can walk to the park. The Mickey parking garage I think was full by early morning each day and the shuttles were very crowded. Make sure you have tickets purchased in advance because the standby lines to buy tickets looked awful and at times they were not letting new people into the parks.

PBKokiri
08-19-2006, 10:12 AM
We were there NYE 2004. It rained buckets all morning, we got drenched even with our Mickey ponchos. The crowds were not that bad at all (Rain probably helped that). I remember it as a great time- fantastic- would definitely do it again!!!!!