PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Disneyland in October [Best Western Stovall's Inn]

Pages : [1] 2

Kelli and Mark's mom
08-17-2006, 06:20 AM
Good Morning all! This is my first post. We are taking our kids to Disneyland in October and we haven't been there since 2000 and are thinking of staying at the BW Stovall's inn. We are on a tight budget and this seems to be one of the more reasonably prices places. Can anyone tell me:

1. How far is it really to walk to DL?

2. Is it a decent place to stay?

I've looked at the reviews here and on Tripadvisor.com and there are mixed reviews. Help!!:confused:

DangerMouse
08-17-2006, 06:29 AM
Stayed there many years ago so I'll only answer your first question:

Much too far to walk. You'll want to take the ART.

Here's a map of the area. Stovall's is in the bottom left corner. The entrance to DLR is farther up on the right.

http://www.geocities.com/ashpsyche/DisneylandLinkMap.html

Kelli and Mark's mom
08-17-2006, 06:33 AM
Thanks! At least that gives me a little bit of insight! I noticed your from AZ! So am I!! You must live in Phx or Bullhead since your location is listed as Hot as Hell AZ! Ha Ha! I live in Chino Valley. Beautiful here right now! 63 degrees!:)

MammaSilva
08-17-2006, 06:44 AM
If you want reasonable in walking distance, check on the HoJo..I know that a LOT of padders have gotten great rates by contacting Willie directly. He does his best to give great service to people who found them thru the Pad.

stan4d_steph
08-17-2006, 06:53 AM
For other walking distances, you can see this previous thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=46907). Stovall's is not mapped there, but you can use gmap pedometer.

From Best Western Stovall's Inn, you could walk east on Katella toward the Timon parking lot, and then take the tram to the front gate. That walk looks to be about a half mile.

Alternatively, you could walk north on Disneyland Dr. and enter DCA through the GCH entrance, although if it's early in the day the cast members usually restrict access to GCH guests.

If you ate breakfast at Whitewater Snacks or Storyteller's, you might be able to show your receipt for access. Has anyone done this before?

Kelli and Mark's mom
08-17-2006, 06:53 AM
I'll check it out. Thanks! We are so excited about going! Tha last time we were there it was the 45th Anniversary and DCA was getting ready to open. I remember watching them test the rides. So we are really excited! Does anyone know if they will still have 50th anniversary merchandise in October? I collect Disney snowglobes and have one from the 45th but would love one from the 50th.

going2disneyAZ
08-17-2006, 06:54 AM
I've stayed there and have walked. If you walk you'll want to walk up Disneyland drive and cut through the Grand Californian. It's about a 15 minute walk. If you have kids that are not in strollers it may be too far for you to walk.

Also, I think you can also walk accross the street and hop the parking lot tram in the Timon Lot (if it is open). I have not done that but have read on here that others have.

going2disneyAZ
08-17-2006, 06:56 AM
Oh yeah, it is a decent place to stay. Not great, nothing fancy but clean rooms. It is a motel, that is, the room doors open up to the parking lot.

Kelli and Mark's mom
08-17-2006, 07:02 AM
Thanks! When I was reading some of the reviews on Tripadvisor.com I was getting a little worried, but you never know what others expectations are. As long as it is clean that's all that matters to us. I noticed that their website says they have a shuttle to DL. So maybe we can check that out.

10-97
08-17-2006, 04:09 PM
The last time I stayed there it was called the "Inn of Tomorrow", and had a space-age theme. When I was young, it didn't seem like a long walk, but now I'd probably need a canteen of water and a boxed lunch to make the hike.

Via a google search, you can see a photo of the old motel at "postcards of the past."

Malcon10t
08-17-2006, 04:15 PM
Good Morning all! This is my first post. We are taking our kids to Disneyland in October and we haven't been there since 2000 and are thinking of staying at the BW Stovall's inn. We are on a tight budget and this seems to be one of the more reasonably prices places. Can anyone tell me:

1. How far is it really to walk to DL?

2. Is it a decent place to stay?

I've looked at the reviews here and on Tripadvisor.com and there are mixed reviews. Help!!:confused:
Its a little more than .7 miles. I wouldn't recommend the Timon lot route as in October, the Timon trams may not be running. There is an ART bus for the route. That runs $3 a day per person over 10.

mareed
08-17-2006, 06:10 PM
If you ate breakfast at Whitewater Snacks or Storyteller's, you might be able to show your receipt for access. Has anyone done this before?

Yes, I've done this before, and they did check my receipt and were fine with that.

DianeM
08-17-2006, 08:41 PM
I don't know this hotel, but I was pricing trips on getawaytoday.com, and the prices were awesome. You can get hotel reviews at tripadvisor.com. Keep in mind that the getawaytoday prices include 3-day parkhoppers, and if you want you can upgrade from 3-day to 4 or more days.

Oh, and my favorite cheap close hotel is the Del Sol. It's not fancy at all, and has a few problems, but the beds are comfortable and it's cheap and clean and it's right across from the crosswalk into the park. It is fairly well reviewed at most review sites. If you are willing to spend a bit more, the best western park place inn and mini suites is the closest hotel to the park, and it is much nicer than the del sol. The del sol is available through getawaytoday.com at very low prices, but the best western park place inn is not.

We are on a tight budget and this seems to be one of the more reasonably prices places. :

Courtney Anne
08-19-2006, 01:49 PM
i stayed at Stovall's Inn once and across the street another time

both times we walked thru GCH or thru DD to the monorail

the kids we had with us were between 7 and 10 and they did just fine

i was tired at 12 midnight after a loooong day in the park - but it wasn't too bad

Courtney Anne
08-19-2006, 01:50 PM
If you want reasonable in walking distance, check on the HoJo..I know that a LOT of padders have gotten great rates by contacting Willie directly. He does his best to give great service to people who found them thru the Pad.

how do you contact this guy ? i might be taking a trip to DL in september and i would need to do it on the cheap !!!

ghoofie
08-19-2006, 05:12 PM
Ah.... I remember Stovall's had the Cosmic Age and Galaxy, both right next to the Candy Cane. We used to stay at either of those two exclusively. All the Stovall's were space age motivs. We used to get an upper room facing the DL parking lot and it was great for fireworks viewing.

pixiepal
08-19-2006, 08:51 PM
I have stayed at Stovall's about 5 times, last time being a week ago. The rooms are clean and a decent size. We actually had to call the front desk for 3 of the 4 nites we stayed last week because they had TONS of high school aged kids (probably a camp or church group or something) that were not chaperoned (or the chaperones didn't care) and were up all hours of the nite jumping and running around and screaming. The front desk did respond each time, but there were so many groups of kids that it was impossible to stop completely. Probably won't be a problem for you in October, though.
The walk is not bad. Like others have said, you walk past Paradise Pier, through the lobby of the GCH, and then through DTD to the parks. About 10 minute walk. Not bad if you like to walk.

Kelli and Mark's mom
08-21-2006, 10:19 AM
Thanks to everyone for their help! I'll be making our reservations this week. I'll let you know how it was when we get back. :)

Courtney Anne
08-22-2006, 10:23 AM
We used to get an upper room facing the DL parking lot and it was great for fireworks viewing.

One of the trips I took with my son, we got a room there on the top floor, and we could stand along the railing outside our door and look out over California Screamin' and watch the fireworks - it was great !

We drove in and weren't going to the park until the next day - my son was so excited and getting to see the fireworks and the lights from DCA gave him something to do besides bug me tha night !!

Kelli and Marks' Mom :: Where in AZ do you live ? I am in Glendale, near the new Stadium.

ghoofie
08-24-2006, 09:52 AM
One of the trips I took with my son, we got a room there on the top floor, and we could stand along the railing outside our door and look out over California Screamin' and watch the fireworks - it was great !

We drove in and weren't going to the park until the next day - my son was so excited and getting to see the fireworks and the lights from DCA gave him something to do besides bug me tha night !!

OK..something is confusing me. :confused:
The Cosmic Age was tore down to make room for DCA. So how did
you look out over California Screamin' from there, which wasn't there yet? :)

Or do you mean from the Candy Cane ??

hlbtimes2
08-24-2006, 09:58 AM
Maybe she meant from Stovalls they could see Screamin'? I know its just kitty corner from there.

ghoofie
08-24-2006, 12:25 PM
Maybe she meant from Stovalls they could see Screamin'? I know its just kitty corner from there.

Ah...that's the ticket...that makes perfect sense.

Pat-n-Eil
08-24-2006, 12:52 PM
We stayed at Stovall's close to 10 years ago. At that time they had a shuttle bus that came by about every 1/2 hour.. I don't recall if it was their own or shared, but they had one that would be in the parking lot (near Denny's).

Malcon10t
08-24-2006, 02:46 PM
We stayed at Stovall's close to 10 years ago. At that time they had a shuttle bus that came by about every 1/2 hour.. I don't recall if it was their own or shared, but they had one that would be in the parking lot (near Denny's).
Back when Anaheim let all the hotels have their own shuttles. Now, ART is required. Only hotels not on teh ART route can have their own shuttle (ie Candy Cane, Sheraton).

hjschulz
08-24-2006, 02:55 PM