PDA

View Full Version : Blue Bayou dessert question

Pages : [1] 2

THpoohbear
08-15-2006, 02:05 PM
My sis and I want to try to the cookie boat at BB, but we don't want to eat there.

1) Do they allow dessert only seatings?
2) If they do, would they really frown upon us sharing only one dessert?
3) Do you think we could get it to go? I think it's not really a "to go" item, but would they rather us do that vs. taking up a table?
4) My sister want to know if the sail is edible, or if one can keep it. I think I remember it being described as edible in the reviews. :p

Thanks!

stan4d_steph
08-16-2006, 07:40 AM
1) You can make a priority seating even if you only intend to eat dessert.
2) I don't know the answer to this, but you might make your reservation for an off-peak time.
3) I don't think Blue Bayou does "to go" anymore, but I'm not sure.
4) You can eat the sail. It's made of sugar.

THpoohbear
08-16-2006, 08:43 AM
Thanks steph!

I tried to calling disney dining yesterday, but their computers were down for a significant part of the day - and thus I couldn't make ADRs.

yellowrosedtxn
08-16-2006, 09:09 AM
My sis and I want to try to the cookie boat at BB, but we don't want to eat there.

1) Do they allow dessert only seatings?
2) If they do, would they really frown upon us sharing only one dessert?
3) Do you think we could get it to go? I think it's not really a "to go" item, but would they rather us do that vs. taking up a table?
4) My sister want to know if the sail is edible, or if one can keep it. I think I remember it being described as edible in the reviews. :p

Thanks!

1.) Yes, they "allow" it but I don't think they like it (we did that this summer after the refurbishments.) The waitress was really surprised when we asked about this.
2.) Not sure if the frown upon the sharing, we didn't try that.
3.) No you can't. We tried
4.) Yes you can eat it, but you might not really want to try it. We had a nice waitress that brought my daughter a "to go" one because hers broke. We tried a bite of the broke one and it tasted like plastic.

kimi911
08-16-2006, 09:30 AM
Blue B charges a $5 plate sharing fee, so if you do that they would let you share a dessert I'd imagine.

i.love.disneyland
08-16-2006, 09:40 AM
I thought it was a $5 plate SPLITTING fee, not sharing fee.

THpoohbear
08-16-2006, 09:56 AM
Would they really charge a $5 split plate charge for dessert? :eek: I was under the impression that they would do that for a meal only. After all, desserts don't come with appetizers or sides.

I'm worried that the waiter/waitress it going to give us a hard time for only having dessert. But I guess I shouldn't feel bad about it if I go during a non-peak time and since I'd be paying over 7 bucks for one dessert! Hopefully we'll get a nice CM.

MammaSilva
08-16-2006, 10:00 AM
You only have to pay a split plate charge if you say to the server, we're splitting this...if you each ordered a drink and one person orders the desert and you share out of the same dish there is no split plate fee.....just an FYI...now I will say that we had a good lunch there recently but our server did 'pull' a stunt on us in a manner of speaking. Both the girls ordered childrens meals that include a drink...neither girl was brought the childrens cups with a beverage, both were brought the 'regular' glasses and I was charged for an ala cart drink for each. I didn't realize it at the time or would have mentioned it when the server presented the check, so it is something for others to keep an eye out for.

Iwannabeaprincess
08-16-2006, 10:10 AM
While they will serve you dessert only, they won't be very happy about it.

We ate there at the end of June (after the refurb); we went for lunch and had 2 adults and 3 kids in our group. The adults ordered full meals but the kids had dessert only (plus drinks) and when we told our waitress this she actually rolled her eyes at us!

Considering that lunch still cost almost a hundred bucks I wouldn't have expected such a reaction.

KDR
08-16-2006, 11:59 AM
I must say that to take up a whole table simply to split a single dessert is rather unfair to a CM who works for tips. Not to mention another party who may want to have a meal there but are now unable to because someone is taking the time and space away from them for a simple dessert. It's this sort of thing that causes restaurants to establish a "minimum charge" per person. If this sort of thing happens a lot, I can easily see this happening at the BB.

BTW, even though the thing is marked "edible", you'd be hard pressed to eat it even if you were on the 30th day of "Survivor". It has the consistency and flavor of hard plastic. Yum.

yellowrosedtxn
08-16-2006, 12:14 PM
I must say that to take up a whole table simply to split a single dessert is rather unfair to a CM who works for tips. Not to mention another party who may want to have a meal there but are now unable to because someone is taking the time and space away from them for a simple dessert. It's this sort of thing that causes restaurants to establish a "minimum charge" per person. If this sort of thing happens a lot, I can easily see this happening at the BB.

I have to kind of disagree with you here. When we went, to get desert only, my kids each got their own desert (I can't remember but I think my dad got one as well). We weren't in there very long and we left a healthy tip for the waitress. I think they would be a little grateful to have people that only wanted something quick and easy and if they get a nice tip and they didn't have to work that hard, why would they complain? (I guess the only difference is there were 5 of us that went and we didn't split the desert.)

I think the next time I go to Disneyland I will go for their lunch because I was not that impressed with Cafe Orleans' Monte Cristo. I enjoyed BB's MC in 2005 a whole lot more. Even if I have to pay more for it, I think it would be worth it (NOW). Hind site I suppose.

MammaSilva
08-16-2006, 12:18 PM

BTW, even though the thing is marked "edible", you'd be hard pressed to eat it even if you were on the 30th day of "Survivor". It has the consistency and flavor of hard plastic. Yum.

Disney CM's do not work "just for tips" they receive a wage and then get their tips added to that....I don't see how it can be considered Unfair to just order a desert and beverage when that desert is priced as high as an entree at some of the other locations in the park. Tips are service based in my opinion...so if all the server needs to do is bring me a desert, fill my beverage glass a few times, I'm going to tip appropriately. I am one of those people who think this age of "added gratuity" sucks because then I seem to get a lower level of service since the tip is guaranteed! And if I ever had a server "roll their eyes" where I could SEE it, I'd call for a lead, I'd cancel ANY tip...you can do that, they won't like it but it's not like you HAVE to tip....even if it's expected you will.

Crazy4DL
08-16-2006, 12:21 PM
And if I ever had a server "roll their eyes" where I could SEE it, I'd call for a lead, I'd cancel ANY tip...you can do that, they won't like it but it's not like you HAVE to tip....even if it's expected you will.

With you on that one! good grief! I have a feeling that server didn't last long or make very good tips. sheeezzz!

MammaSilva
08-16-2006, 12:21 PM
I think the next time I go to Disneyland I will go for their lunch because I was not that impressed with Cafe Orleans' Monte Cristo. I enjoyed BB's MC in 2005 a whole lot more. Even if I have to pay more for it, I think it would be worth it (NOW). Hind site I suppose.

We ate at both this trip, I had the original Monte Cristo for lunch on Saturday at the BB (along with the new sides eh...I missed my pasta salad but whatever) and then had the 3 cheese at the Cafe Orleans on Sunday and my niece had the 'original'...I'm here to tell you that if you didn't like the Cafe Orleans version, you're not going to like the BB version, it's identical now.

evrythngwmn
08-16-2006, 01:23 PM
Disney CM's do not work "just for tips" they receive a wage and then get their tips added to that.... I'd cancel ANY tip...you can do that, they won't like it but it's not like you HAVE to tip....even if it's expected you will.

I can't remember what the hourly wages are for Disney wait service CMs off the top of my head. However, after taxes some servers do end up working only for tips. Here in CA at least they're taxed 8% on their sales knowing they're going to receive tips. In college I had a roommate who worked as a server on weekends. She usually only worked like 8 hours a week and would bring home paychecks for zero dollars. Often times the taxes totally wiped out her hourly wage. She literally lived on the tips, usually about $50-$100 a night for her four hour shifts.

i.love.disneyland
08-16-2006, 01:36 PM

If they aren't going to offer it as a take out or "to go", then they have no right to complain.

Malcon10t
08-16-2006, 01:49 PM
I can't remember what the hourly wages are for Disney wait service CMs off the top of my head. However, after taxes some servers do end up working only for tips. Here in CA at least they're taxed 8% on their sales knowing they're going to receive tips. In college I had a roommate who worked as a server on weekends. She usually only worked like 8 hours a week and would bring home paychecks for zero dollars. Often times the taxes totally wiped out her hourly wage. She literally lived on the tips, usually about $50-$100 a night for her four hour shifts.I don't think people really think about this. Servers are taxed on the sales, with the assumption that the tip was made. And it isn't just in CA, its a Fed tax. So, while people say "They make a base wage", that base wage often disappears to Uncle Sam. They pay taxes on the percentage of their sales, but their tips are often pooled with the other servers. A good server will live on tips. Problem is, too many people go "Well, they make wages too", problem is the governemnt taxes them above their wages, then stiff them, and they get stuck paying on the base sale.

Women are the worst tippers. I usually try to fix their opinions of women by tipping well. I will tip well for good service (up to 25%), and will tip 8-10% for poor service just so they don't eat all the taxes. Now, my daughter went above and beyond once in tipping a mediocure server 30%. Problem was, she was bad in math and I didn't discover how much of a tip was placed on MY credit card til after the fact. Now I double check before letting any of my kids pay!

averagedork
08-16-2006, 02:22 PM
Tips are service based in my opinion...so if all the server needs to do is bring me a desert, fill my beverage glass a few times, I'm going to tip appropriately. I am one of those people who think this age of "added gratuity" sucks because then I seem to get a lower level of service since the tip is guaranteed! And if I ever had a server "roll their eyes" where I could SEE it, I'd call for a lead, I'd cancel ANY tip...you can do that, they won't like it but it's not like you HAVE to tip....even if it's expected you will.

I'm really anal about that whole "gratuity added" thing. I am sorry, but it's for good service and if someone knows they are going to get a hefty tip because it says that on the bottom of the menu, they won't treat me well. I know it. I went to a concert years ago, and you had to eat a certain amount $$ in food to sit where we sat. So we ordered and the waitress treated us like CRAP. I had a watered down drink (ew), defrosted chicken fingers, and a cookie and was treated horribly. We left the tip in pennies. I was so mad.

What I am noticing everywhere I go is customer service is really going downhill. It's sad.

KDR
08-16-2006, 02:32 PM
I can't remember what the hourly wages are for Disney wait service CMs off the top of my head. However, after taxes some servers do end up working only for tips. Here in CA at least they're taxed 8% on their sales knowing they're going to receive tips. In college I had a roommate who worked as a server on weekends. She usually only worked like 8 hours a week and would bring home paychecks for zero dollars. Often times the taxes totally wiped out her hourly wage. She literally lived on the tips, usually about $50-$100 a night for her four hour shifts.
I don't think people really think about this. Servers are taxed on the sales, with the assumption that the tip was made. And it isn't just in CA, its a Fed tax. So, while people say "They make a base wage", that base wage often disappears to Uncle Sam. They pay taxes on the percentage of their sales, but their tips are often pooled with the other servers. A good server will live on tips. Problem is, too many people go "Well, they make wages too", problem is the governemnt taxes them above their wages, then stiff them, and they get stuck paying on the base sale.

Thanks. I was trying to find the proper information to properly back up my opinion of why this idea of taking up a table in such a way is, to put it bluntly, rude. Doing so is taking wages directly out of the pocket of the CM. It's not a nice thing to do.

BTW, a word of advice to all of us who are entitled to discounts (such as the AP discount): it's also inappropriate to tip on the meal price AFTER discount. Tip based on the full, undiscounted meal price.

THpoohbear
08-16-2006, 04:49 PM
Thanks. I was trying to find the proper information to properly back up my opinion of why this idea of taking up a table in such a way is, to put it bluntly, rude. Doing so is taking wages directly out of the pocket of the CM. It's not a nice thing to do.

BTW, a word of advice to all of us who are entitled to discounts (such as the AP discount): it's also inappropriate to tip on the meal price AFTER discount. Tip based on the full, undiscounted meal price.

I disagree that taking a table for dessert only, is rude. I agree that if a place, such as Blue Bayou, won't let us take it to-go, then we don't have a choice. I should not have to pay for a $30 meal when I don't want it just to get dessert.

Secondly, I never posted anything about tipping or not tipping. You automatically assumed I don't know anything about servers' wages and appropraite tips. I understand that taking up a table for only dessert does not equal the same tip for the server - however, understanding that, I usually tip above the normal 15 %. I also base tip on service as well. (I worked in a restaurant for a year.) Another thing to keep in mind is that someone eating dessert only or splitting dessert takes up MUCH less time than a full meal. Someone else will have our table within 15 to 20 minutes. The tip seams proportionate to the time spent there. It is not taking wages directly out the server's pocket - again, the tip is proportionate to the time/effort taken from the server.

For the 'taking away a table for someone else' claim - if people want a table, they can call ahead like everyone else. I was only calling one day ahead for the dessert ressie, so those who really wanted to eat there should have already planned and had their ressie safely booked. Taking up a table for less than a half hour might open up the space for someone else who is waiting or for a walk in.

If BB doesn't want dessert only ressies, they should make a policy, as other restaurants do. If they don't have a policy, no CM should roll their eyes at that request.

And for the record, my sister decided against dessert this time because she, who lives out of town, didn't want to take that much time out for dessert this time around. However - my hubby and I may go get that cookie boat at some point. Also, I always tip pre discount, anywhere I go.

08-16-2006, 05:02 PM

Today's dessert-only patron may be tomorrow's appetizer + entrée + dessert + drink patron.

Or maybe not. But since there's no restaurant policy stating a patron must order a meal, them's the breaks.

KDR
08-16-2006, 05:16 PM
I disagree that taking a table for dessert only, is rude. I agree that if a place, such as Blue Bayou, won't let us take it to-go, then we don't have a choice.

Of course you have a choice. Just like switching the channel if you don't like the TV program, the choice is not to dine there. That's pretty easy.

And yes, it is rude. Don't base it on your assumptions, just ask people who earn tips for a living. They're the ones who are qualified to answer. I know several very well, and to a person I'm certain they'll agree that it's rude to take that money from their pockets and to prevent others from enjoying a full meal. One of the definations of rude is "Ill-mannered; discourteous; inconsiderate of others." The above certainly fills that inconsiderate part just fine. Simply because people do it doesn't make it not rude. It just means there are a lot of rude people out there.

barely
08-16-2006, 05:33 PM
I order whatever I desire at a restaurant, be it a meal or dessert and coffee. I have never been made to feel that I had been rude for doing so. I tip according to the service I receive and I am one of those who thinks the 'included gratuity' sucks!

Rockchalker
08-16-2006, 05:37 PM

I cannot understand why you feel this is rude to take up a table at the BB when this is the only option for getting the dessert they wanted. This is not the fault of the guest, but to the change in policy of the BB. If BB truly had a problem with someone coming in and just getting dessert they should put on their menu: Minimum order $10 per guest. Or something like that. I have seen this done in other restaurants so why not at the BB? Furthermore, DL has plenty of rules, why should we as guests add additional rules. Let BB decide the policies of having dessert only in the BB.

And when it comes to tipping I tip according to the service I receive. Was my water glass continually filled? Was I greeted on time and in a friendly manner? Did the wait person keep me updated if it was taking along time to get my meal? Etc., etc., etc. I normally start at 20% and go up and down from there. If my wait person sat down at a table with all their friends and ignored me, there is no way I dishing out 10%. I work hard for my money and have a hard time justifying leaving a 20+% tip for poor customer service.

THpoohbear
08-16-2006, 05:38 PM
Of course you have a choice. Just like switching the channel if you don't like the TV program, the choice is not to dine there. That's pretty easy.

And yes, it is rude. Don't base it on your assumptions, just ask people who earn tips for a living. They're the ones who are qualified to answer. I know several very well, and to a person I'm certain they'll agree that it's rude to take that money from their pockets and to prevent others from enjoying a full meal. One of the definations of rude is "Ill-mannered; discourteous; inconsiderate of others." The above certainly fills that inconsiderate part just fine. Simply because people do it doesn't make it not rude. It just means there are a lot of rude people out there.

Whatever.

It isn't rude since a dessert only option takes much less time and effort than a regular meal, and thus frees up the table again quickly. Especially when I tip more than normal for their trouble.
I'm not basing anything on assumption. As I said, I worked in a restaurant for a year, and have had and have many friends who are or were servers.

I believe it is you who should not assume I'm a rude person simply because I want to have a dessert without ordering a meal.