PDA

View Full Version : Pixarland?

drjones
08-14-2006, 03:40 PM
Ok, so we already have buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters. Enter 2007 with Finding Nemo/Submarine Voyage. Rumors of a Cars overlay on Autopia. (It already is kinda like Cars, with Dusty and Suzy et al.), What's left? Should we re-name Tomorrowland? or maybe start fresh and rebuild Tomorrowland in DCA? And keep with the theming. lLeave DL Tomorrowland as a Pixar themed land to flow with Fantasyland next door.
Any thoughts?
Let the stoning begin.

ralfrick
08-14-2006, 03:53 PM
Why not change Fantasyland to PublicDomainFairyTaleLand?

Cheers.

potzbie
08-14-2006, 04:15 PM
Hey!

If anyone needs flowers laid down, I'm your man!
I'm on the commitee!

Did you like our work for PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN?

Did you appreciate our garland at THE HAUNTED MANSION (i.e., the bride in the attic)?

Will you come attend the grand opening of FINDING NEMO when we lay down our flowers for the loss of the classic, "SUBMARINE VOYAGE"?
We plan to protest the new ride by eating fried clownfish and chips.

;)

JookyG
08-14-2006, 04:25 PM
Yeah! To heck with Pixar! Let's start a letter-writing campaign to convince Disney to re-theme attractions and use characters from the great non-Pixar Disney films like, say, The Wild, Treasure Planet or Atlantis!

Bizarro Joker
08-15-2006, 01:24 AM
Actully the "Cars" lay over was not for the Autiotopia but for another ride. It was for the ride called "Test Track" at the MGM park in florida. From what I understand it is similar to the Autopia only much faster. In Florida the ride has cars that look like modern sport cars. In the California Adventure version of the ride would be the exact same ride excepect the cars would look like the cars from "Cars".

California Adventure has more pixar stuff than disnayland Has. Disneyland has The Buzz Lightyear ride and the Subamarine ride as of next year. California Adventure has monsters Inc., Turtle Talk with Crush, and A Pixar Parade(The Block Party Bash) allready. Rumored rides for the future at California adventure park are The "Cars" layover of "Test Track", A Ride of some sort featuring the Cowboy characters from Toy Story and a ride based on The Incredibles. If anything it is more of a Pixar land than Disneyland.

Vegitabeta
08-15-2006, 03:01 AM
I heard MGM was going to be called Disney Pixar Studios.

bradk
08-15-2006, 04:34 AM
Test Track is in Epcot actually. and I'd say NOTHING like Autopia. Indy Speedway is like Autopia :)

and it's sponsored by GM, so not sure if you'll be seeing porsches there anytime soon.

tinker3
08-15-2006, 09:17 AM
Test Track is in Epcot actually. and I'd say NOTHING like Autopia. Indy Speedway is like Autopia :)

and it's sponsored by GM, so not sure if you'll be seeing porsches there anytime soon.

I haven't been to Epcot in over 10 yrs so I don't know what Test Track is, but what is it like? Is it more for adults?

My two younger ones are obsessed with cars I think it would be pretty fun to see something Cars at DCA. I am sure if it happens it's many years away.:rolleyes:

danyoung
08-15-2006, 09:26 AM
You ride in a computer controlled car through a series of test track tests - bumpy roads, sharp curves, etc. Then you go outside for a trip on the speed loop - 65 mph banked at about 45 degrees around the building. Pretty cool!

DisneyDustin22
08-15-2006, 09:28 AM
I haven't been to Epcot in over 10 yrs so I don't know what Test Track is, but what is it like? Is it more for adults?

Test Track is probably the closest you can get to actually being a crash test dummy. Lots of fun.

If I'm not mistaken either, it's Disney's fastest ride still yes? At close to 60mph? Or did EE take that top spot?

bradk
08-15-2006, 09:36 AM
just to expand on that, it's based on GM's Proving Ground(s). basically putting the car through a battery of tests until something goes horribly wrong. definitely one of my favorites at WDW (except for the corrosive test). even better at night.

it's also, i think, the first attraction that takes you into backstage areas, but you're going so fast, you really don't know it.

hbquikcomjamesl
08-15-2006, 09:39 AM
"Test Track" was also what "Rocket Rods" was supposed to approximate. Except that nobody thought about the fact that the Peoplemover track wasn't designed to take the pounding of a high-speed ride.

It's entertaining. It's not my favorite Epcot ride. It's not my favorite thrill ride. It's not even my favorite Epcot thrill ride. (That honor goes to Mission:Space; I suspect that understanding the reason why they ask you not to turn your head may have something to do with why I don't get even mildly queasy on it.)

hbquikcomjamesl
08-15-2006, 09:42 AM
Actually, no, it's not even remotely the first attraction to give you a glimpse backstage. You can see almost the entire DL Roundhouse area, as well as parts of the back sides of Tomorrowland and Adventureland, from the Disneyland Railroad.

bradk
08-15-2006, 09:50 AM
sorry, i meant WDW and I meant to actually physically take you backstage.

although that technically may be wrong too, since the railroad at WDW goes backstage at a point (but you can't see anything)

Monte Cristo
08-15-2006, 09:55 AM
I think DCA would make more sense if Disney wanted to concentrate on a "Pixarland" area. I'm not opposed to more Pixar-based attractions at DL, however, as I consider Pixar films the modern day creative heir to Disney.

Vegitabeta
08-15-2006, 10:05 AM
To be honest, I'm Pixared out!

MrsPooh
08-15-2006, 11:51 AM
To be honest too, I would welcome a Cars overlay on Autopia. Anything to dress up that boring, outdated ride.

And Nemo subs is better than no subs. And, far better than an Atlantis subs that was rumored earlier.

I dunno, I LOVE Pixar. I think it is great.

hlbtimes2
08-15-2006, 12:31 PM
I dont have a problem with Pixar. I'm just excited to get some new, interesting things. I really dont care what the theme's are.

JookyG
08-15-2006, 04:56 PM
Pixar = Disney.

Anyway, the parks are theming stuff for the best movies they can call their own. It might be more useful to rag on the live-action and 2D animation units to produce better content.

danyoung
08-16-2006, 06:54 AM
"Test Track" was also what "Rocket Rods" was supposed to approximate. Except that nobody thought about the fact that the Peoplemover track wasn't designed to take the pounding of a high-speed ride.

My understanding is that they did indeed take the track's condition into consideration. The original plans included some major banking. Budget cuts took all of that out, and the ride they got was deeply flawed. It wasn't the original designers' fault, though - it was the bean counters'.

drjones
08-20-2006, 08:26 PM
not that i mind Pixar, I love the films I've seen. I just wondered if any major restructuring was in order. I believe Pixar IS Disney. I just want to see it spread out a bit. Not all in Tomorrowland. I can see the rationale for a Cars overlay on Autopia, (even if it isn't true). Buzz does belong in Tomorrowland, with the futuristic theme and all, but Nemo in the subs?
What about Ariel? Don't get me wrong, I'm just happy to have the subs back, and the logistics are sound for doing what they do. Maybe Pixar is planning it this way. They look at the parks and thing we can make a movie out of this: Tomorrowland? Make a Astronaut toy character for out movie = Buzz. Water ride = a fish movie. Car ride? = car movie.
Defunct rail ride? = put something like that only faster in a movie about a family of superheroes

I wounder what ride in tomorrowland they can alter for Rattatouille?

hg0079
08-21-2006, 09:58 AM
i just don't know how nemo is something that would be found in the future aka tomorrow land....?!?!??!

bradk
08-21-2006, 10:03 AM
tomorrowland.. well.. let's see...

the original subs... outdated from day 1
autotopia... outdated from day 1
star tours.. technically takes place a 'long time ago'
the matterhorn was originally in tomorrowland
buzz lightyear... is a toy, has a small connection with space, still does not equate 'tomorrow'

notabrady
08-21-2006, 10:04 AM
Well, one could say that since the lagoon is in that transitional area betweeen fantasyland and Tomorrowland, Nemo is stuck between the two lands!!