PDA

View Full Version : Stupid or Fun? Last minute surprise

Pat-n-Eil
08-14-2006, 08:09 AM
Ok, I'm sitting here thinking that my son goes back to school on Thursday. He is 15 years old - and he's been really wanting to go to Disneyland lately.

I am contemplating trying to throw together a last minute trip.. either fly out tonight or tomorrow early.. go to the parks - spend the night - go to the parks some more and come home Wednesday evening..

We'd have to fly and we are probably too late to book through AAA so does anyone have any tips on last minute hotel rooms & tickets? This time I'd have to give up the enhanced fastpass and go on the cheap!

Thanks...

mulansgirl
08-14-2006, 08:14 AM
That is so cool. Wish my parents did that when I was smaller and we only lived two hours away from DL. Sorry no tips but you are one rocking parent.

PennyLane
08-14-2006, 08:18 AM
How fun! I always do Priceline and end up with a great rate. Have a wonderful trip! :)

going2disneyAZ
08-14-2006, 08:20 AM
hotwire.com or priceline.com for hotel.

orbitz.com will show you all your flight options and costs.

hotwire or priceline for airfare if your REAL flexible.

Pat-n-Eil
08-14-2006, 08:59 AM
Ok.. so for Hotwire.com do I want Anaheim North or Anaheim South? Which might give me the hotels on Harbor?

going2disneyAZ
08-14-2006, 09:26 AM
Ok.. so for Hotwire.com do I want Anaheim North or Anaheim South? Which might give me the hotels on Harbor?

Definately SOUTH.

http://www.lastminutetravel.com I have no experience with them but I have seen good deals floated by them in their emails.....

going2disneyAZ
08-14-2006, 09:31 AM
Type: RoundtripTicket Count: 21 Adult(s)
1 Child/renFrom: Sacramento (SMF)
To: Santa Ana (SNA)
Depart: 08/14/06 08:15 PM
Arrival: 08/14/06 09:35 PM

To: Sacramento (SMF)
Depart: 08/16/06 07:45 AM
Arrival: 08/16/06 09:10 AM

Tickets:$442.80 Taxes/Fees:$74.42 Paper Ticket Fee:Total:$517.22

going2disneyAZ
08-14-2006, 09:34 AM
From LastMinuteTravel.com
Clarion Hotel Anaheim Resort (http://www.lastminutetravel.com/PageHotelDetail.aspx?hotelId=1001517&provider=ChoiceAdaptor&SearchResults=1) *** Anaheim,CA,US
Just 2 blocks from the magic kingdom of disneyland resort. enjoy our exciting new restaurants/nightlife and shops at downtown disney. our 284 guestrooms are comfortable and include amenities such as in-room coffee/tea, iron/ironing board, and refrigerator... more info (http://www.lastminutetravel.com/PageHotelDetail.aspx?hotelId=1001517&provider=ChoiceAdaptor&SearchResults=1)
$232
package price
(air+accommodation)
per person

Adult/Child:1/1Rooms:1Room Type:2 Double bed. no vie.Tickets Number:2
Hotel: Clarion Hotel Anaheim ResortAddress: 616 Convention Way Anaheim California 92802Check In: 08/14/2006Check Out: 08/16/2006From: Sacramento (SMF)
To: Santa Ana (SNA)
Depart: 08/14/06 08:15 PM
Arrival: 08/14/06 09:35 PM

To: Sacramento (SMF)
Depart: 08/16/06 09:09 PM
Arrival: 08/16/06 10:34 PM

Package:$463.42 Taxes/Fees:$92.12 Total:$555.54 https://www.lastminutetravel.com/Modules/customizable/images/tripSummaryBot_left.gifhttps://www.lastminutetravel.com/Modules/customizable/images/tripSummaryBot_right.gif

annieb727
08-14-2006, 09:46 AM
also check out kayak.com

Pat-n-Eil
08-14-2006, 11:03 AM
Yes.. I've been able to piece together a trip for a similar price.. Hotels.com has a nice deal at the Park Vue Inn and Jet Blue has some nice airfare. Park tickets are the cost they are.

I just need buy-in from my wife. :)

going2disneyAZ
08-14-2006, 11:19 AM
I just need buy-in from my wife. :)

Good Luck with that.....I hope it works out for you.

Tinkermommy
08-14-2006, 12:10 PM
Stupid or fun? FUN for SURE!!! Something he'll never forget!!

Last year, I was devastated when my daughter's school started the Tuesday after Labor Day -- no way to sneak in a last-second visit to Disneyland with no crowds. This year, she starts on a Thursday in Sept. Yay! We'll be there the Tuesday or Wednesday right before -- maybe both!

I'm already getting sad that she'll be going back to school because I've really enjoyed having her with me all day (she's 10). Disneyland is a wonderful way to end the summer on a high note, and to have summer fun up to the last second.

I say GO!!!

Malcon10t
08-14-2006, 12:21 PM
Ok, I'm sitting here thinking that my son goes back to school on Thursday. He is 15 years old - and he's been really wanting to go to Disneyland lately.

I am contemplating trying to throw together a last minute trip.. either fly out tonight or tomorrow early.. go to the parks - spend the night - go to the parks some more and come home Wednesday evening..

We'd have to fly and we are probably too late to book through AAA so does anyone have any tips on last minute hotel rooms & tickets? This time I'd have to give up the enhanced fastpass and go on the cheap!

Thanks...One small piece of advice, calculate the time difference between driving and flying. Driving from Sac, about 8 hours. Flying, once you go by the 3 hour check in that started last Friday at Sac International, the 90 min flight if it is on time, the time getting off the plane, finding a taxi and getting to the hotel, it will be roughly the same amount of time. Going back could be worse, if you use LAX or SNA. Might consider driving.

Pat-n-Eil
08-14-2006, 01:04 PM
One small piece of advice, calculate the time difference between driving and flying. Driving from Sac, about 8 hours. Flying, once you go by the 3 hour check in that started last Friday at Sac International, the 90 min flight if it is on time, the time getting off the plane, finding a taxi and getting to the hotel, it will be roughly the same amount of time. Going back could be worse, if you use LAX or SNA. Might consider driving.

This is a good point, but it isn't so much the travel time that is the issue, but more the fact that I don't like driving that far.. Economically, driving would be cheaper.. (I figure 3 tanks of gas at $50/tank is $150 versus plane fare of about $434 - a savings of $284 plus approximately $60 in taxi fees so saving $344).

So do we just do a monster day - take off at 4:00 am tomorrow, arrive at Disneyland around 11:00 or 12:00 - check in and go.. or perhaps take off this evening and hit a hotel to sleep.. then rise and shine. That would mean a fuller day in the park - but also an extra hotel room day at $99..

Malcon10t
08-14-2006, 01:25 PM
So do we just do a monster day - take off at 4:00 am tomorrow, arrive at Disneyland around 11:00 or 12:00 - check in and go.. or perhaps take off this evening and hit a hotel to sleep.. then rise and shine. That would mean a fuller day in the park - but also an extra hotel room day at $99..Spend the extra $100 for a little more fun... Have a blast!!!!

DangerMouse
08-14-2006, 01:46 PM
I am so, so, so jealous! I've tried to pull off last minute trips several times, but they never pan out.

Hope you have an awesome time! Can't wait to hear about it!:D

Pat-n-Eil
08-14-2006, 02:24 PM
Well.. the wifey said no. For some silly reason she thinks house maintenance like painting and paying off bills is more important than a last minute back-to-school trip to the Magic Kingdom.

Of course, hers is the voice of reason...

Oh well - guess the vicarious thrill of *almost* going was pretty fun..

going2disneyAZ
08-14-2006, 02:42 PM
Well.. the wifey said no. For some silly reason she thinks house maintenance like painting and paying off bills is more important than a last minute back-to-school trip to the Magic Kingdom.

She MUST know my wife....my DW tried to put a fork into Halloween at DLR this year because we went in November '05 and March '06.....but I GOTTA take the kids twice a year, don't I?

DangerMouse
08-14-2006, 03:23 PM
She MUST know my wife....my DW tried to put a fork into Halloween at DLR this year because we went in November '05 and March '06.....but I GOTTA take the kids twice a year, don't I?

Your wives been talkin to my husband?? ;) Remodeling took precedence over our anniversary trip next weekend, so we had to cancel. Phoooey! Who needs a new bathroom when there's the new, improved PoTC just waiting for me!!

Sorry your trip was vetoed. I'm sure the planning made your otherwise dreary Monday more enjoyable. :p

Everett Buzz
08-14-2006, 05:54 PM

So close to Our Plans!! We went late Oct last year early March '06 and are going back again! Oct 28th for Halloween.

And Like Pat&Eil We are so Hooked on the Enhanced fastpass!! We have booked with AAA for all of our trips! :D

I Heart Disneyland!
08-14-2006, 06:12 PM

Rats! It was all sounding so exciting. My hubby would do the same thing, be the voice of reason. Why must there be that voice in our homes? haha!

DianeM
08-14-2006, 06:23 PM
My husband flew out of Sac last thursday - yes, D-Day - and security barely took him 40 minutes. He ended up waiting 2 1/2 hours for his flight. When we came back in Sunday, he said that the line was the same length it had been when he flew out (it was backed up onto the overpass to the parking area). The flight is only a little over an hour. If you don't check baggage, you can be out of the airport minutes after landing. Of course, you're going to have to buy a tube of toothpaste when you land, but... it's doable, and a lot faster than driving if time is worth more than money at this point.

Flying, once you go by the 3 hour check in that started last Friday at Sac International, the 90 min flight if it is on time, the time getting off the plane, finding a taxi and getting to the hotel, it will be roughly the same amount of time. Going back could be worse, if you use LAX or SNA. Might consider driving.

Pat-n-Eil
08-15-2006, 10:07 AM
To wrap this up, I will say that it was interesting to see just how cheap I could go per person. The best rate with airfaire was about $242 per person (not including park tickets). I thought that was good.

Being able to find rooms for $41 to $99 a night was eye opening as well. I'm willing to spend a little extra to know where I'll be staying. It seems to me that parking or taxi fees must be considered vs. being able to walk and not have those fees.

I looked forward a little bit and found some nice rates. Aloha airlines pops up now as a fourth viable option from Sacto to SNA and a very good rate. Jet Blue to Long Beach is also reasonable. Then Southwest and America West are options too - and of course, driving.

Also, discovering that purchasing park tickets at AAA for the same rate ($116 for 2 day parkhoppers, for instance) gives us free parking. So if I did drive and if I stayed at a non-walking distance place (probably for less $$) then that is good to know that I can get free parking.

Since going off-season this year in March showed me that FastPasses (enhanced or otherwise) aren't nearly as necessary at those times, it has broadened my horizons.

Thanks to all for your suggestions and great websites to check. It was a worthwhile experience even though we didn't get to go... this time. http://www.thompent.com/smileys/wink3.gif