PDA

View Full Version : Anaheim Garden Walk Project for Resort Area Approved

justagrrl
05-06-2002, 07:29 AM
Summer 2002 Edition of Anaheim Magazine... $600 million, 29.1 acre project withing walking distance of the convention center the DLR....1662 new hotel rooms, 536,700 gross square feet reatail, proposed 94,000 sq. foot aquarium (coooool)...eventually to include a 10,200 sq foot bus terminal....

(from ocregister:
"Where: Across Harbor Boulevard from Disneyland on a 29.1-acre site that includes Melodyland Christian Center.")

http://www.anaheim.net/event_images/gardenwalk_interior.jpg

http://www.anaheim.net/news/gardenwalk_2002.htm

[Moderator's note: Embedded illustration map replaced with URL to protect copyright. Please do not post images for which you do not own reposting rights here. -- Lani]

Ghoulish Delight
05-06-2002, 07:43 AM
Hrmm. Isn't the corner where the third gate is supposed to be? It'll be interesting to see how Disney goes about their long term plans to turn Anaheim into a Disney resort. I mean, in Florida they have the luxury of owning huge...tracts of land (sorry, just watched Holy Grail last night). They want to build something, done and done. Plus, there's no way other developers can build where they want to. But in Anaheim, while Disney's got a lot of pull, ultimately it's up to the city and the surrounding private land owners. So they will always have to deal with things like this taking up valuable expansion space.

Iceman
05-06-2002, 07:58 AM
It sounds from the press release like both the city and Disney had a lot to do with the final design and implementation of this concept. Sure, Disney would like to have the space for themselves, but in the meantime any fresh upscale development is good for the "Anaheim Resort" and therefore Disney.

Boy, I wish things had worked out in Long Beach... :(

2CN
05-06-2002, 12:26 PM
bounded by Harbor, Katella, Disney Way and Clementine

reading that, it sounds like it is directly accross Harbor from Disneyland/DCA... not down on the strawberry farm... since Disney Way doesnt run along the straberry farm.

Ghoulish Delight
05-06-2002, 01:12 PM
It is caddy-corner from Disneyland, the south-east corner of the Katella/Harbor intersection. The giveaway is Melodyland, which is about 100 yards east of Harbor on Katella, on the south side.

I don't necessarily think that not owning the land means Disney won't be able to build a resort, and I definitely think they are working with the city and locals to make it the best (well, most profitable) they can. It just means that they have to come up with an entirely new resort devlopment strategy, and be very mindful of not ****ing off the local land owners, something they (even Walt himself) do not have a stellar history with. Witness the land that the parking structure sits on. Disney has wanted that land for years, but when DL was first built, the guy who owned it got really angry about the construction crews using his land, leaving bulldozers on it and such, so he held a grudge for years. It wasn't until he died (maybe 5-7 years ago?) and his family and/or estate decided to ignore his grudge and sell it that Disney got it. That's kind of thing can potentially hinder Disney for a long time if they aren't careful.

Uncle Dick
05-06-2002, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
It is caddy-corner from Disneyland, the south-east corner of the Katella/Harbor intersection. The giveaway is Melodyland, which is about 100 yards east of Harbor on Katella, on the south side.
Actually, I think Melodyland is on Disney Way, right across from the Pumbaa parking lot. The official address given on the Melodyland web site (http://home.sharednet.com/1stlook/pages/standard.cfm/melodyland) is 400 W. Freedman Way, which, when entered into Yahoo! maps, gives you this address (http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?BFCat=&Pyt=Tmap&newFL=Use+Address+Below&addr=400+W.+Freedman+Way&csz=Anaheim%2C+CA&Country=us&Get%A0Map=Get+Map).

I guess finally all of that "Anaheim Resort" stuff will have some merit to it. It always makes me laugh to see the "Anaheim Resort" flags fluttering in the breeze around the park when the only real attraction in the area is the Disneyland Resort itself.

DisneySuiteFreak
05-17-2002, 06:17 PM
Does anyone know if this deal will involve the demolition of the Anaheim Plaza Hotel and Suites located at 1700 Harbor Blvd? I've got a great deal on rooms there in December and have posted this question before to no avail. I would *hate* to see our family trip in December ruined by having no hotel rooms to sleep in. :confused:

fredc
05-18-2002, 07:16 AM
This project is on land not owned by Disney and is across Harbor from DisneyLanf Resort Entrance, north of Katella, South of Disney Way. Yes the project conceptually includes The Anaheim Plaza Hotel but the owners of the hotel have been refusing to sell to the developer so the plans are still up in the air. Don't hold your breath waiting for this to happen

justagrrl
05-18-2002, 08:21 AM
In the artists picture, it appears that hotels are in there too. Maybe they've worked it out to incorporate them or something.

coronamouseman
05-18-2002, 06:36 PM
This sounds like a development which is not under Disney control and is simply part of the overall plan for the area (of which much of the development was payed for by the city of Anaheim).

No reason why other developers and/or the city of Anaheim can't make more revenue/taxes off of the development of the area payed for by the city of Anaheim ..........

I believe the only Disney property on this eastern side of Harbor (north of Katella) is where the old Grand Hotel once stood and which is ultimately ticketed for development as a second parking structure ........

DisneySuiteFreak
05-19-2002, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by fredc
This project is on land not owned by Disney and is across Harbor from DisneyLanf Resort Entrance, north of Katella, South of Disney Way. Yes the project conceptually includes The Anaheim Plaza Hotel but the owners of the hotel have been refusing to sell to the developer so the plans are still up in the air. Don't hold your breath waiting for this to happen

That's what I remember reading in the disney newsgroups a while back, but I just wanted some reassurance. Thanks.

gautry
05-20-2002, 03:55 PM
Nice to see Port Anaheim opeing since Michael and Jeffery were against it