PDA

View Full Version : Amusing Places to People Watch

justagrrl
05-06-2002, 07:22 AM
I'll be the first to admit, we don't do a great deal of sitting down and people watching. But, when it does happen, it's usually to sit down over at the wharf and enjoy a drinky-poo or two. What I find so funny to watch are the people who go to the Chinese food place and study the menu. You can almost hear them - oh yeah, this place looks good...mmmm....fried rice (or whatever)...after browsing you see they decide that this is the place. Then they walk up to order....and there's this look on their faces as they scan back and forth and look at each other. It's kind of sad actually - when you see group and group doing this - and we are only there for a short time.

Of course, it would ruin my people watching while drinking routine in that area - shouldn't they put up something that says they are closed - I mean just as a common courtesy?

MonorailMan
05-06-2002, 08:28 AM
I like watching the people on Screamin', right before the launch, the look on there faces before the lanuch is hysterical. :)

Ace
05-06-2002, 05:39 PM
drinky....poo?

back to the thread... I'd have to say the people going over the drop on Splash mountain.

Uncle Dick
05-06-2002, 09:22 PM
I like sitting in one of the padded chairs on the little porch on the right hand side of Main Street. Last time I did, some kids who had just visited the Main Street Magic Shop were sitting on the steps, using the "flying dollar bill" trick on unsuspecting guests. It was fun to watch until some guy got mad at being tricked and threatened to break the contraption. What a jerk.

It's also fun to sit on Tom Sawyer Island and watch the kiddies run around or wave to the folks on the river boats.

MagicBeliever
05-06-2002, 10:05 PM
When we were there last year, we parked ourselves on a bench near Coke Corner a few hours before the fireworks, which gave us a chance to people watch for a while. It's definitely amusing what you will see just sitting in a random spot in the park. It was also interesting noting how people will ignore or even argue with polite cast members.

kranders
05-07-2002, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Uncle Dick
I like sitting in one of the padded chairs on the little porch on the right hand side of Main Street.

I found that porch on my last visit. I sat there while my wife and daughter shopped Main Street. It's quite enjoyable if you're lucky enough to get a chair!

Hyperboy
05-08-2002, 03:22 PM
Morrigoon and I took a nice relaxing break on the balcony in New Orleans off of the Disney Gallery (you know, where the premium Fantasmic seating is) last time we were there. She sketched Tom Sawyer's Island in her sketchbook (rather well, I might add), while I people watched.

I do like watching people's faces in the launch for Screamin' though -- especially the ones holding the video recorders :D

Morrigoon
05-08-2002, 09:57 PM
Aww, thanks Hyperboy! (about the drawing)

That's one of my fave spots - especially if the band is on the next balcony tossing beads. (LOL, you missed a classic typo - I almost said "tossing beets", hee hee). You can see them aim for the little kids and away from obnoxious teens (or toward those adults who they see giving beads away to kiddies)

Side porch of Plaza Pavilion is another nice one - set back a bit for a sense of privacy (or at least a little quiet), but in full view of the show walking by.

Coke Corner- table next to Rod's piano. You can see other guests approach the piano as well as those in the eating area around you. Marvelous people watching there (little kids dancing, curious music lovers seeing Rod for the first time, old friends returning to say hello...)

Matterhorn Way- parade of freaks (in a good way ;)) Very colorful characters there, from all walks of life.

SoCalSnowWhite
05-09-2002, 01:05 PM
The screamin launch is the best!! But, i also like just sittin around the hub, cause it's always pretty busy. Also under the ex-Peoplemover/ex-Rocket Rods rail, on those planter things.

Pirate
05-09-2002, 02:58 PM
Watching the ready-to-launch riders at Maliboomer. I'll usually do a couple minutes there.
Similar reasons as those who said Screamin', but Mailiboomer almost looks worse than it is and waiting for the launch the worst (...or best).

Lani
05-09-2002, 03:14 PM
This past weekend, Alex and I spent some time on the walkway bridge next to Grizzly River Run in DCA. The bridge is situated near a gushing geyser, so you can enjoy watching people react when they pass it. Very fun!

Gemini Cricket
05-09-2002, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Squinky
I'd have to say the people going over the drop on Splash mountain.
I agree. It's very sadistic of me, but I love watching people panic, reacting to how loooong the drop is. Most of them do not expect it to be so long and so steep. It's great seeing large macho men scream like pre-school girls as they drop. Heh heh heh...:D

blusilva
05-10-2002, 11:50 PM
Because I've had ample opportunity to do this while waiting in line for bands at HOB in Downtown Disney: I love watching people react to the geyser fountain between Y Arriba! Y Arriba! and HOB. The kids and adults alike squeal in delight and then oooh and ahhhh over the majesty that is spurting water. It's hilarious.

Main Street Magic
05-11-2002, 09:49 AM
THis goes way back to the days of the Golden Horseshoe Review but I used to sit at the front door of the Golden Horseshoe Review waiting for the next show. That was always an interesting place to listen to the questions that were asked to the CM who stood at the door between shows.

lilblckrncloud
05-11-2002, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by blusilva
I love watching people react to the geyser fountain between Y Arriba! Y Arriba! and HOB. The kids and adults alike squeal in delight and then oooh and ahhhh over the majesty that is spurting water. It's hilarious.
I adore that fountain and never fail to stop by at least for a little while whenever we are there. One time my best friend and I were standing beside it before a show at the HOB, and watched this family get all situated for a picture in front of the fountain, which had just been gurgling away all innocently for several minutes. They were perfectly poised and ready to go, and at the exact second the camera flashed a HUGE geyser exploded without warning! It was one of the funniest things I had ever seen. I would have loved to have seen the photo that resulted from that serendipitous moment. :D