PDA

View Full Version : Adult travel [what to take for the car]

hg0079
08-11-2006, 08:22 AM
as we have the 16 hr drive ahead of us...

what do you pack to do yourself...I packed tons for the kids but other than a book I a stumped at what to bring for myself

wvnative
08-11-2006, 09:03 AM
If I'm not the one driving, I like to do the following....

word find puzzles
cross stitch
color
play kid's video game (when not in use by child)
read
I also quilt though so if I've got something to bind, I'll bring that.

stan4d_steph
08-11-2006, 09:08 AM
Music player (CD player, iPod etc.) with music you enjoy
Earplugs
Dramamine
Neck pillow
Eye shades

annieb727
08-11-2006, 09:10 AM
We usually bring fun things like Mad Libs or things we can read to each other. Our kiddos are 2 & 4, so they're happy with toys and movies. When I'm driving, if I have someone I'm interacting with, it helps me stay awake if I'm getting sleepy - so I rely on my co-pilot to help me. We might play word games or things like that - sing together, etc.

Andrew
08-11-2006, 09:17 AM
I bring my laptop and whatever book I'm reading. I've set up my Treo to act as a modem for the laptop so I can even go online in the car, if necessary.

My favorite way to avoid road-boredom, though, is to be the driver.

hg0079
08-11-2006, 09:22 AM
Music player (CD player, iPod etc.) with music you enjoy
Earplugs
Dramamine
Neck pillow
Eye shades

Good ideas except the Dramamine learned on a flight from Scottland I am allergic.

mulansgirl
08-11-2006, 09:22 AM
sounds silly and like it more meant for kids but snacks. Very important and frozen water bottles so you have cold water or gatorade. and chocolate does not normally do so well in the car so eat it first:D .
and mental or word games. Bring a prepared list of strange topics to talk about, lightharted no business or finance no better way to kill a vacation than talk about money. We figured out which Hogwarts houses we would be in, and not so much the price of tea in china but how much better it is (he knows, I don't). I also love to talk about what we will do when we get to disneyland. Enjoy remember kids are in that car they just got a little older and learned to drive.

hg0079
08-11-2006, 09:23 AM
If I'm not the one driving, I like to do the following....

I also quilt though so if I've got something to bind, I'll bring that.

Me too but I just finished one that I was making for a baby we will see on the trip and I knew I should have left part of it for the trip.

Andrew
08-11-2006, 09:28 AM
Good ideas except the Dramamine learned on a flight from Scottland I am allergic.
If you have a bad reaction to Dramamine, try a ginger supplement. It works very well for me.

sjcivilady
08-11-2006, 11:48 AM
road snacks: licorice, nuts, pringles - also love the "munchies" chip mix - put those in small ziplocs for the park. Ditto on using ginger capsules for motion sickness. (just took a cruise with some good rockin & rollin and using both generic bonine and my ginger kept the seasickness at bay). Also have a disney mania cd to play during the really boring part of I-5.
Just have to mention: I knew that Pat&Eil were going to be on the same cruise, but we never arranged a meeting so didn't think we'd meet. One day at lunch in the dining room, we were seated with a couple who were from the Sacramento area, so I just had to ask.....do you go on mouseplanet? yep, it was them! was fun meeting someone else from mouseplanet...I've only met one other poster. They are very nice, btw. :) (sorry to digress)

disneyperson
08-11-2006, 11:54 AM
The best thing to take with you on a car trip is a fun companion.
Oh and snackage.

r-we-there-yet
08-11-2006, 12:25 PM
I usually find some form of a energy drink to bring along because I wasn't able to fall asleep the night before!

What the Hay! It is not like it is my first trip, so what gives? 35 and still childish, oh well.:rolleyes:

rentayenta
08-11-2006, 12:36 PM
Homework, not that I ever do any of it. One of the reasons I love to drive to Disneyland with my family is the long talks DH and I get to have. With our busy lives and hectic schedules and having three young kids, it's rare that we just get chat time. We bring our favorite CDs and chat about the future, present, and past. It's one of the most enjoyable parts of the trip. My kids are excellent travelers so the time is relaxing.

Bolivar
08-11-2006, 12:41 PM
...frozen water bottles so you have cold water...
Do you just take a bottle of water and put it in the freezer? I always assumed it would break.

annieb727
08-11-2006, 12:57 PM
Do you just take a bottle of water and put it in the freezer? I always assumed it would break.

just make sure it's PLASTIC and you take the lid off, and dump out a little bit of the water, then when it's frozen you can put the lid back on.

Usually I do about 1/2 full water bottle in the freezer and when it's frozen and I'm going to use it, I'll fill it up the rest of the way with water and it stays cold for several hours (well depending on how warm it is and how big the water bottles are)

erinzgirl
08-11-2006, 01:22 PM
My family and I just came back from a week + of traveling. My husband and I enjoyed playing the license plate game... We collected 35 states! It's a fun, cheap way to pass away the time. Anyway, I also made a travel book out of a three ring binder and binder paper which included all of our maps, hotel confirmations and gas mileage. Have a good time. Are you doing 16 hours all in one shot?

kiwifuz
08-11-2006, 03:17 PM
I bring my laptop and whatever book I'm reading. I've set up my Treo to act as a modem for the laptop so I can even go online in the car, if necessary.
This is exactly what I was thinking! Actually it's what I'm doing right now....

We usually bring the laptop, some CDs, books, pillows, a few snacks, & a cooler with some drinks. I don't bring too many snacks though because it's kind of nice to stop for something and stretch a little.

...oh and depending upon where you're driving buy some of those toilet seat covers in the camping supply area at the store in case you encounter a creepy rest area & really need to use the facilities. I also bring hand sanitizer & some tissues. But I'm a germ phobe :)

Leap for Joy
08-11-2006, 05:11 PM
We like to get audiobooks from the library.

Pirate Princess
08-11-2006, 08:17 PM
Pack a map of DL (print it offline) and look at the rides.. figure out what order you want to ride them in, things you may want to do twice, interesting places to eat, etc. If you have a co-passanger talk about it with them... it will always spark a conversation of a childhood memory or "Is that the ride that is in the water?" etc.
You may not end up following your plan when you get there.. but it is really for excitements sake.
The map also serves another purpose. Before we go to bed on the second night we circle which rides we missed (that we want to go on) as well as the ones we want to go on again.