PDA

View Full Version : favorite "lesser known" things to do in the park

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

ScrapKat
08-10-2006, 04:53 PM
I just learned about the Junior Chef thing at the Plaza Pavillion and it was there when we were at the park last year. I had no idea! My kids will love that! So now I'm wondering about all the other great things I don't even know about at Disneyland and DCA. Do you have any favorites (they don't necessarily have to be for just kids) or maybe ones you know of but haven't tried yet? I'd love to hear! Please share (and include links for more info if you have 'em). Thanks in advance!

backsthepack
08-10-2006, 04:55 PM
This will sound so stupid, but I didn't really how fun the little penny arcade thing is on main street. We usually just hit the shops that we like on main street and then move on by. I never paid any attention before. This past trip my son was really into the squished penny thing and we noticed that the arcade had a ton of penny machines. Well, once we got in there he had the best time playing those old fashioned arcade games. We must have spent over and hour and a half in that place.

bradk
08-10-2006, 04:56 PM
there's countless topics on this, but...

the free jungle cruise map
riding the main street firetruck and ringing the bell
piloting the mark twain
riding tender on the train
talking to stitch at innoventions (although i never actually got to do this)
riding in the front (or rear) of the monorail

ScrapKat
08-10-2006, 05:00 PM
Wow, you guys are fast! :D

Ya know, I looked and looked all the way to the end of all available topics and, unless the subject line was not indicitive of a topic like this, I did not see a single thread on this topic. :confused:

DangerMouse
08-10-2006, 05:13 PM
Animation Studio in DCA.
:D

I Heart Disneyland!
08-10-2006, 05:13 PM

piloting the mark twain

You are such a great source of knowledge Brad!!!!!

kohl
08-10-2006, 06:18 PM
I never knew about the Jungle Cruise Map.

splash
08-10-2006, 06:24 PM
The last time we were there (May of 2004), the Jungle Cruise had to shut down for some reason. We went over to ride it and they were handing out the maps to kids, it's pretty cool!

Stitch Lover
08-10-2006, 06:45 PM
i just wanted to comment on one of the things that brad listed; talking to stitch at innoventions. this is the best!! what is wierd is how they don't really advertise this. this is one of my favorites things i have done at DL! i recommend it and the talk to crush attraction in California Adventure. just thought i would put my 2 cents in:D

Disney Vault
08-10-2006, 06:54 PM
Me either. Where can you get it if they aren't outside just handing them out?

Gone2Disneyland
08-10-2006, 07:05 PM
Billy Hill and the Hillbillies in The Golden Horseshoe. Laughs and live music with thirty minutes of air conditioning. :p

rentayenta
08-10-2006, 07:47 PM

Ditto. Do we just ask one of the skippers for one?

bradk
08-10-2006, 08:27 PM
in my case, i was just told to ask when i got off the boat. they're kept in that little desk area by the exit queue. i scanned in a copy...

http://bradk.smugmug.com/gallery/1465116/33/70097902

annieb727
08-10-2006, 09:12 PM
in my case, i was just told to ask when i got off the boat. they're kept in that little desk area by the exit queue. i scanned in a copy...

http://bradk.smugmug.com/gallery/1465116/33/70097902

I'm gonna have to get me one of those too :)

Haha...wonder what they'll think of this influx of people all of a sudden asking for maps ;)

nursemelis374
08-10-2006, 10:07 PM
Tonight we were invited to ride tender on the train. It was so cool!!!!

darph nader
08-10-2006, 10:42 PM
Next time you're in the General Store on MS,pick up the phone on the wall. It's an old fashion 'party line'. Yeah I know I'm old,but i remember those.:eek:
And NO,there is no pictures,or text mess,3 way calling. Not that kind of party line.:D

potzbie
08-10-2006, 10:45 PM
These are the subtle features I still like.

In front of SNOW WHITE'S SCARY ADVENTURES, on the second story, the Evil Queen peeks out from behind the curtain, every 1/2 minute or so.

Best under-appreciated feature is the Princess Storytelling in "Once Upon A Time" shop in the castle courtyard.
There is something special about a princess telling her own story.

annieb727
08-11-2006, 07:11 AM
Tonight we were invited to ride tender on the train.

what is that?

bradk
08-11-2006, 07:31 AM
knew someone would ask (even tho i mentioned it in my list :) )

on one of the engines, you can sit at the front of the tender car, right behind the engine room. you need to take a full trip around the park starting at Main Street (mostly because at most of the stations, you're beyond the loading platform when it's stopped). you get to see things you normally don't tho and of course get to converse with people who eagerly spend their days in constant 90-120 degree heat.

i for one learned that they don't 'drive' trains, they pull them.

i have photos but never posted them. i will try tonight.

mystycalchyk
08-11-2006, 07:48 AM
Yeah I know I'm old,but i remember those.

hahha we had a party line when I was growing up :)
Umm....:| does that make me old???

*ahem*

my favorite little know thing to do is to take the tour of the gallery up abve POTC. It's not advertised, just go up to any CM and ask for the tour. :)

bradk
08-11-2006, 07:51 AM
oh true that. the gallery tour. did that last year when they got tired of me asking questions. very interesting (and FREE).

also, i'm not a VMK player, but if you create (?) your character at DLR, you get some special designation to show that you were born in Disneyland.

also something else i did last time, went into the firehouse. not a heck of a lot to do there, but it had a few things on display. also checked out the museum in the lower deck of the columbia.

the other thing i did last time akin to hidden mickey hunting is looking for homages to prior attractions. for example, max melvin & buff (from CBJ) in pooh, or the eeyore sign from the parking lot in Indy, or the tribute to superstars limo in monsters, inc. i got help from CMs at each of the attractions to find them.

going2disneyAZ
08-11-2006, 07:53 AM
Tucked away on MS (I dont remember exactly where) is a dentist office facade. If you listen closely you can hear the dentist drilling and talking to his screaming patient. I ran into this last time accidently. Quite a funny dialog.

mystycalchyk
08-11-2006, 08:33 AM
Tucked away on MS (I dont remember exactly where) is a dentist office facade. If you listen closely you can hear the dentist drilling and talking to his screaming patient. I ran into this last time accidently. Quite a funny dialog.

this is the window just above the market place closest to the lockers entrance :)

Syndrome
08-11-2006, 08:51 AM

piloting the mark twain

I think piloting the Mark Twain was one of the coolest DLand experiences I've had. I can't explain how it feels to be the one to actually ring the bell and whistle on that boat. That's the sound of Disneyland to me.

bradk
08-11-2006, 08:56 AM
my guide told me the whistle freaks out the horses on main street (at least when they're training). same goes for the gun shot from jungle cruise. didn't notice it before, but if you spend about 5 minutes by the train station, you're bound to hear the gunshot. don't recall hearing the whistle from main street tho, but i guess there's much less ambient noise when they're training.