PDA

View Full Version : Candy Cane Inn or Resort Hotel?

Bassman531
08-10-2006, 12:55 PM
I've tried to find a direct comparison between the Candy Cane Inn and one of the DLR Hotels but have not found what I am looking for.

I have made a reservation for next April at the CCI for $99/night +tax. Apparently, Disney does not release rates at the resort hotels until sometime next week so I can't compare prices at this point, but if someone has stayed both places, could they please tell me which they would prefer and why? I would probably choose the PPH or DLH, since the GCH is just too expensive.

This will be our last trip as AP'ers and we want it to be special.

Thanks.

ghoofie
08-10-2006, 01:25 PM
I have stayed at DH once.. Stayed at the 'Cane a BUNCH of times.
I even sport a Candy Cane shirt and hat. :fez:

I guess that tells you which we prefer. But for these reasons:

Cane has an included cont. breakfast. It's very good. Cold/hot cereals,
fruit, toast, bagels, rolls, crescents. Juice, coffee. We arise at different
times, so it's convenient.

It's a short walk or they have a PRIVATE shuttle, only for their motel.

7-11 and mini-mart next door. (2 different stores).

Always comfy.

For the difference in price....Candy Cane.

If you walk through DTD to get to the hotel (not taking the Monorail that is),
the walk to the cane is not really much longer.

SO...is Bassman for fishing or music ?

Rhiannon8404
08-10-2006, 03:52 PM
Well, I really enjoy staying on property. When we have the money to splurge we stay at the Disneyland Hotel or Paradise Pier (we never have enough to splurge on the Grand Californian :( ).

When finances are tighter, as they are now, we stay at the Candy Cane Inn. We really like it. We will be staying there this November during Thanksgiving week for $97/night +tax. No way was I going to be able to get that rate for that week on property.

My 8 yo (as of yesterday) son really likes it, too, although he does prefer the DLH. He doesn't mind the walk and since we don't wander through DTD and window shop, it actually takes less time to get into the park. ;)

biolabetty
08-10-2006, 04:09 PM
I am definitely in the minority here, I really didn't enjoy my stay at the CCI. We got a premium room that still felt pretty small. The VCR didn't work, but they did send someone up to try to fix it, no luck. The breakfast was delivered to our room, and they give you exactly the amount of muffins that you have people in your room, so if you stay in a premium room I would ask for more than the amount of people, because the muffins weren't that big.
We waited at DL for the private shuttle, and waited, and waited, and waited, and it never came. We eventually walked back and saw it parked in front of the inn, looking like it wasn't planning on going anywhere.

We also were rather sharply awakened early in the morning when the newspaper was delivered to our room by someone throwing it against the door. It wasn't a horrible place, it was clean, the people were pleasant, but I've enjoyed my stays at the Hojo better. My preference would always be to stay on property though, so maybe I'm prejudiced. I personally like the PP better than the DLH, but I think that is just a matter of opinion. Perhaps my experience was just an unusual one for the place, you might really enjoy it there. No matter where you decide, have a great time!

I Heart Disneyland!
08-10-2006, 05:18 PM
We love Homewood Suites. It's 3 miles from the park. Has a shuttle that you can take. And, it's a 2 room suite. Bedroom and a living room with a kitchen that has utensils, plates, cups, mugs, etc. Full size fridge and even a dishwasher. And, has breakfast too, for free. In the fall, we got this for $119 a night which is a great price for the size of the room.

Susan L
08-10-2006, 06:16 PM
We got turned off from off property sites this last time. Nothing compares with staying on site. If we had to chose between the DLH or PPH it would be PPH. You get more for your money at the PPH, its a nice hotel with great service.

doombuggy driver
08-10-2006, 06:24 PM
We love the Candy Cane Inn. It is almost 80 dollars more a night to stay on property. That is a lot of money to us! If we stay 3 nights it's 240 dollars more to stay on property!

The CCI is a great place to stay. The Inn is very clean and well maintained all around. Free breakfast, free shuttle, beautiful flowers, mini gift store and the cleanest hotel we have stayed at near DLR.

If you have the money staying on property might be a fun and unique experience, but it is always just a little too expensive for us.

The other nice thing about the CCI is that they only hold the room on your charge card, DL travel makes you pay when you make the reservation. At CCI you are not charged anything until checkout they just hold your reservation with your card. You can cancel up to 48 hours before without being charged anything.

I hope this helps!

hlbtimes2
08-10-2006, 08:22 PM
We have stayed at PP and CCI as a family, and DH stayed at the GC for work. We like the CCI. Yes, GC and PP have larger rooms. However, the price difference is not worth it to us. We spend very little time in our room. We sleep and shower and that is about it. Its it a 4 or 5 star hotel? No. Its an older motel. Its a nice motel. Its clean, close, and comes with free breakfast. And the shuttle- the shuttle really makes it perfect for us.

Someone mention the shuttle not coming to get them. I'm guess it was in the evening sometime between 7 and 8pm. They do miss one run in the evening. The driver takes a dinner break. The exact time is posted in the lobby. If you miss the shuttle its about 8-10 minute walk from the gates. The shuttle starts 1/2 hour before the park opens and runs until 45 min after closing.

On my last trip I found myself as the only person on the Sunday morning 7:30 am shuttle. I talked a bit with the driver during the drive. I guess the owner moved to the US from Turkey as a young boy (about 14). The hotel was built about a year after the park opened. He took a risk that things would go well, and they did. He is in his 80's now, and his son owns it. It is their only property, and they make sure it is ran with great pride and attention. The grounds are beautiful!

annieb727
08-10-2006, 09:03 PM
The other nice thing about the CCI is that they only hold the room on your charge card, DL travel makes you pay when you make the reservation. At CCI you are not charged anything until checkout they just hold your reservation with your card. You can cancel up to 48 hours before without being charged anything.

Actually, I have reservations for the DLH and only used my CC to hold the room - nothing has been charged to it. And if I want to cancel, it's 72 hours before to have no penalty.

Bassman531
08-11-2006, 06:38 AM
Thank you everybody for the input. I think I'll keep my reservation at the CCI for the time being and if I get a GREAT deal to stay on property, then I'll probably do that.

BTW ghoofie, Bassman is for music (both upright and electric)

ghoofie
08-11-2006, 07:14 AM
Thank you everybody for the input. I think I'll keep my reservation at the CCI for the time being and if I get a GREAT deal to stay on property, then I'll probably do that.

BTW ghoofie, Bassman is for music (both upright and electric)

I play bass too. I even sat in the the Barncats at DCA !! :)

Here's my band:

www.vocal-ease.com

Goosegirl
08-11-2006, 09:32 PM
We have stayed at the CCI before and really enjoyed it. The beds are comfy. There is a fridge in every room. The free breakfast is better than most other freek breakfasts at other hotels. The pool is very clean and the flowers are gorgeous!

I had wanted to stay there this last vacation but it was full. SO........for the first time we really upgraded for our Disney trip and stayed at the PP. We were very happy. We were upgraded to a park view room for free. We purchased our package through AAA so we got the Enhanced Fast Pass and early entry. The beds at the CCI are more comfortable than the PP but the PP has bigger rooms. I loved having early entry and the Enhanced fast pass so that in itself was a strong selling feature for staying on property. My mom had given us birthday money that covered the $200.00 in price difference between the CCI and PP. I have to say that we felt it was money well spent. Though we did not have the day bed at the PP made up, it was nice to have for extra seating and when we all took naps in the afternoon, everyone got their own bed. Nice! We missed the free breakfast but we ate at the Storytellers Cafe at the DGC and in the park anyway.

So my thoughts are that either way you will do well. If you can get in to the CCI and save money, go for it. The CCI is definitely the best off-property hotel near Disneyland. But if you can spring for the extra, stay at one of the resort hotels at least once. You will not regret it.

Rockchalker
08-12-2006, 06:23 AM
But if you can spring for the extra, stay at one of the resort hotels at least once. You will not regret it.

And you will never want to stay anywhere else again! :D :D :D

blackjackdelta
08-12-2006, 12:05 PM
I would have to quess alot depends on the number of people you travel with. There are 6 of us and to stay at a resort property is horrendously expensive. Never stayed at CCI, we would be required to have two rooms so most of the time we book a suite hotel.

Jack