PDA

View Full Version : My upcoming trip questions

yellowrice
08-09-2006, 10:55 AM
Hi everyone,

My trip is in September from the 20th to 30th.. and I have some questions.

1. We are thinking of taking my gf's cousin that's 14-15 yrs old that lives in Los Angeles to Disneyland or California Adventures... we have asked if she wanted to go but all we get is a "Doesn't matter where we go or what we do" type of answer... so would you take her if you were in my shoes? Is she at that age where it she currently growing out of it?

2. Which character dining would you recommend for two adults in their late 20's? or should we stick to non-character dining.

3. After reading the Mary Poppins thread about how they only interact with children, should we not bother trying to take pictures with characters since we're adults?

Thanks!

bradk
08-09-2006, 11:07 AM
1) if you're going and will be taking her along and don't mind paying the price, i don't see a problem. there's some interest there for a teen who may not be readily interested in a disney park. if the trip is all about her and is in the anaheim area, maybe knotts is more appropriate.

2) nothing wrong with adults doing character dining. i think the two strongest candidates would be minnie & friends or lilo & stitch. personally, i've done minnie & friends and it was one of the best character meals i've been to.

3) i've never had a problem with any of the characters either at DL or WDW. My biggest problem has been the lack of organization / lines at DL in most cases and pushy people. Being solo was exceptionally challenging in this aspect because I would have to push myself ahead of those who just joined in. when they don't see a child or someone with the character, they automatically assume they're next. with multiple people, even adults, that shouldn't be as much an issue. just know it can be a challenge getting there.

on that note, when I have read SGT, I have noticed the attitude of certain cast members that they feel it's all about the children. which is nice in a sense, except that it's not true. i think there's a lot of anomosity towards adults by some for quite a few reasons, but you shouldn't let a bad seed turn you off here and there.

i've also seen but not interacted with mary poppins, so i can't vouch for her. but everyone else (especially hook) has been fabulous. the ones who are best at their jobs know they're who they are, no matter who they're talking with.

backsthepack
08-09-2006, 01:24 PM
I think the teens would have a good time. I see so many teens on our frequent trips and all seem to be having a grand time (especially those that are able to ditch their parents;) ).

Character dining. Well, that depends on how much you love the characters. I opt out of it most of the time. Even our son is pretty much done with that.

Most characters do not care if you young or young at heart and they will spend time with you just as they will the kids. Don't skip that part.

disneyochem
08-09-2006, 01:35 PM
Mary Poppins does NOT just interaction with children!!! My favorite all-time character is Mary Poppins. I visit and get a picture every trip and not once has there been a time that she has not been practically perfect!

My girls always go up to Mary and say "My mommy loves you!" :) :) :)

lauramaynot
08-09-2006, 01:38 PM
Are you planning on paying for her admission? If you are maybe she knows how much it costs and doesn't want you to think she is taking advantage of you and your gf. You could spend anywhere from $100 to $200 just on her and most kids know the value of that. If that is the case I say take her and let her know that she is worth your money and time.

On the other hand if she doesn't want to go because she doesn't enjoy it (you didnt say if she has been or not but since she lives near by I would think she has been) I wouldn't take her. I have a teenaged brother who loves to do stuff with my DH and Kids and I but sometimes he gets pretty full of attitude and that makes everyone miserable. One rule with teenagers - don't force fun upon them...sometimes they just don't think clearly enough to enjoy it!

My brother would (and has) come with us in a heartbeat! Maybe you could find out why she doesn't want to give you a straight answer from her parents and then make a decision?

hg0079
08-09-2006, 02:20 PM
I will be an adult on a solo mission to find Mary P...so....I would say go for it but be assertive (and nice) that you too have been waiting. For me my plan is to talk to the Cast Member with Mary P and share how I am a nanny and sadly this is the one thing on my list...a picture with her.

ghoofie
08-09-2006, 02:52 PM
Hi everyone,

3. After reading the Mary Poppins thread about how they only interact with children, should we not bother trying to take pictures with characters since we're adults?

Thanks!

Adults in our group took pictures with her on main street, no problem.

Leap for Joy
08-09-2006, 08:39 PM
We took a teenage friend last year and found that we couldn't keep up with her! Teenagers run run run from attraction to attraction -- our pace is much more sedate. I suggest deciding what you want out of a day at the parks, and finding out what her idea of a day at the parks is, before you decide.

08-10-2006, 02:17 AM
Mom to two teen girls here.

L.A. girls may be different (who knows?) but my Wisconsin girls (14 and 16) do not consider themselves too cool or too old for California Adventure and Downtown Disney.

Have fun!

MammaSilva
08-10-2006, 04:31 AM
Add another mom/uber cool auntie voice to the mix...I'm taking my 14 year old niece on my next trip and she's so excited, she loves both parks and the Downtown Disney area. Her one request is a stop at Build a Bear...I agreed but with a 'cap' on the spending limits before we ever cross the threshold! I'd say that with the 'I don't care/whaterver' attitude you're risking that "I'm too cool for you vs I hear how expensive going to Disney is and don't want to sound greedy' I vote talking to her folks and finding out a bit more, they'll be the ones who can give you a bit better read on the attitude. I have two nephews that stopped being "fun" at about that age and made a trip a huge aggravation so I agree with whoever said don't try to 'force fun' on a teen!

annieb727
08-10-2006, 05:52 AM
I have two nephews that stopped being "fun" at about that age and made a trip a huge aggravation so I agree with whoever said don't try to 'force fun' on a teen!

This is the post I need to have read BEFORE we tried taking my 15 year old brother with us to WDW in 2003! We finally decided to let him do his own thing and he spent most of his days at the hotel pool and arcade - complaining about the heat and the lines at the parks (well, it was in JUNE) while we went on rides and had fun. *UGH* We tried to force the fun, and it DID NOT work. We would have been miserable, but we just let it go and went off on our own. He has pleasant memories of the trip, and so do we. Go figure.

yellowrice
08-10-2006, 09:32 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys... some great points by everybody, gives me more to considered... much appreciated.

My gf's cousin has been to Disneyland before... but she's not giving much in way of if she grew out of it yet or liked her last experience. I guess we'll have to talk to her folks about it.

But I totally agree on not forcing a teen to have fun... maybe I should come up with two plans of attack if we go to DL or DCA, one being seeing characters, ride a lot of rides and the other plan being doing more grown up things like sticking to the thrill rides, eating at a nice restaurant etc...

What do you guys think or suggest?

Thanks

Malcon10t
08-10-2006, 09:50 AM
Hi everyone,

My trip is in September from the 20th to 30th.. and I have some questions.

1. We are thinking of taking my gf's cousin that's 14-15 yrs old that lives in Los Angeles to Disneyland or California Adventures... we have asked if she wanted to go but all we get is a "Doesn't matter where we go or what we do" type of answer... so would you take her if you were in my shoes? Is she at that age where it she currently growing out of it?

2. Which character dining would you recommend for two adults in their late 20's? or should we stick to non-character dining.

Thanks!1.) I take this to mean (not hearing the tones) she doesn't care what she does, she would just like to spend time with her cousin. My kids began going at age 6 weeks, and are now 20, 20, 18, and 16. The oldest 20yo likes it, but is just as happy at the hotel. The other 3 (like myself) have not outgrown it yet.

2.) Storytellers.

3.) I've never had a problem with characters. My daughter and I stand in line for pics with characters, and it hasnt been an isse like what was reported in the other thread. We've even done Mary Poppins without a hassle.

08-10-2006, 11:40 AM
maybe I should come up with two plans of attack if we go to DL or DCA, one being seeing characters, ride a lot of rides and the other plan being doing more grown up things like sticking to the thrill rides, eating at a nice restaurant etc...

As much fun as the characters are, if I were planning for my girls we'd go with Plan B: thrill rides, nice restaurant.