PDA

View Full Version : Best place to eat (but not drink)?

MrVisible
08-08-2006, 04:10 PM
My boyfriend and I are having our honeymoon in Disneyland this October, and I'd like to take him someplace special for dinner for at least one night there. We're doing a night at the Blue Bayou, and another at Naples.

I was really wanting a good restaurant in DCA for an evening, but it seems to me that the good ones put an emphasis on wine that makes me uncomfortable. Neither my boyfriend nor I drink.

Can anybody recommend a good dining experience in either park (or Downtown Disney) that we'd feel more comfortable in?

JookyG
08-08-2006, 04:30 PM
The only nice restaurants where you're not going to find alcohol on the menu are in Disneyland itself. Even Denny's on Harbor serves it. In terms of alcohol, the only difference between eating at the Golden Vine Winery and eating at Napa Rose, for example, is that the winery has "wine" in the name. Any fine dining establishment (outside of my hometown in Utah, that is) is going to emphasize alcohol because that's where they make a lot of their money.

If you're worried aobut them pushing alcohol on you, making you feel silly for not ordering any, or drunks harassing you from other tables, there's nothing to worry about. None of that happens in fine dining establishments, especially on Disney property. The worst that'll happen is they'll ask if you want to see a wine list. I took my strictly LDS mother to the winery for Mother's Day, and she didn't even blink. In fact, it was her favorite Disney dining experience ever.

Actually, Ariel's Grotto probably doesn't serve alcohol, but I wouldn't exactly call that fine dining. It is table service, though.

Darkbeer
08-08-2006, 05:40 PM
^FYI, Ariel's Grotto does serve a full range of alcoholic drinks if requested, they get the cocktails from the Cove Bar upstairs and deliver it to your table.

Goosegirl
08-08-2006, 08:11 PM
While they do serve alcohol if you order it, I would highly recommend Yamabuki at the Paradise Pier Hotel. It was a fabulous meal and the service was lovely.

Frogberto
08-08-2006, 08:58 PM
I know you said that an emphasis on alcohol makes you uncomfortable. But for what it's worth, my wife and I have had dinners at Napa Rose (and I know that the tasting menu there, as well as the name "Napa" makes people think of wine), and the food is excellent. Wine is not pushed onto people there, and it's a very quiet romantic place to eat, worth considering.

mulansgirl
08-09-2006, 09:26 AM
My husband and I do not drink and had a great dinner at Napa Rose. I think they asked once if we wanted wine or something said we dont drink and they took the wine glasses away and never heard about it again. I did ask about the cool Pixar Wine bottles though and if they wern't so expensive I would have gone home with some very nice wine, never to be drunk but to look oh so pretty on a shelf. But drinking was not an issue at all and if they company you are with is good you do not even notice people around you, who behaved as you should in a nice restaurant.
Normally alcohol is only an issue in a nice place if you make it one.
I wanted to go to Yamabuki but we do not eat fish. would this be worth it for us to go?

JookyG
08-09-2006, 09:49 AM
LOTS of non-drinkers go to the Golden Vine, the Vinyard Room and Napa Rose, despite the wine theme. It's just a theme, not a rule. It would be a shame to miss out on some very good food and an excellent dining experience because of alcophobia.

rentayenta
08-09-2006, 01:39 PM
alcophobia.

Cute! :D

averagedork
08-09-2006, 02:34 PM
^FYI, Ariel's Grotto does serve a full range of alcoholic drinks if requested, they get the cocktails from the Cove Bar upstairs and deliver it to your table.

I had my first legal drink at Cove Bar. My friend sat with a Shirley Temple as I had the sweetest Lemon Drop Martini.

... needed to add that. Special place in my heart.

hbquikcomjamesl
08-09-2006, 03:32 PM
I don't drink, either. The only time ethanol enters my body is (1) as a solvent in some legitimate medication, (2) the pharmacologically insignificant amount remaining in food cooked with wine, or (3) the pharmacologically-insignificant amount of wine I ingest receiving Communion in a denomination that uses real wine.

I've been mildly to severely buzzed, though not even remotely stoned, once from accidentally downing a triple-dose of cough syrup, and a few times from strong prescriptions. I found the sensation of being in less-than-complete control of my senses completely and utterly revolting, and it is not one I would ever intentionally seek out.

But I respect those who do, provided they do so in moderation, and with nothing more dangerous than ethanol, and that they take steps to avoid becoming a danger to others.

When I made my first visit to Adventurers after PI went from gating the whole area to wristbanding ticketed guests, I initially presented (without the slightest clue that I was doing so) the wrist they band to indicate a designated driver. When the attendant pointed that out, I was sorely tempted to look him straight in the eye, and tell him that it made no difference to me, since (1) I don't drink, and (2) my car was a couple thousand miles away at the time.

All that said, I've never once had any waiter, waitress, or bartender attempt to push an alcoholic beverage on me, and I have had more than a few meals in saloons, including at least one meal served actually sitting AT the bar. Moreover, given that the duties of these people include "cutting people off" if they might otherwise become a danger to themselves or others, I would regard it as unprofessional in the extreme if any of them actually DID actively pressure customers to drink.

Leap for Joy
08-09-2006, 06:27 PM
It would be a shame to miss out on some very good food and an excellent dining experience because of alcophobia.
We call it the Olive Garden Syndrome. When we eat there, they just will not get the clue.

hbquikcomjamesl
08-09-2006, 07:21 PM
We call it the Olive Garden Syndrome. When we eat there, they just will not get the clue.What? Olive Garden waitstaff actually do get pushy about alcohol? Please see my comments above, regarding egregious lack of professionalism.

TimBuk2
08-09-2006, 08:14 PM
I think the Blue Bayou should be the Honeymoon dinner. That is probably the most romantic of all restaurants at the Disneyland Resort.

I just went to the Blue Bayou for the first time since 1989. The menu has changed completely, the food was EXCELLENT, including appetizers and desserts. The wait staff was first class, my glass of coke was never empty, not even below 1/2. You can completely forget you are inside Disneyland (except for the Pirates boats going by). If you don't mind the cost for one night, then this is the place to be. Make reservations early.

My other favorite for fun and good food is ESPN-ZONE in Downtown. A great place if you are a sports fan, or just to have fun. It's a little loud, but very good.

MrVisible
08-10-2006, 12:06 PM
Thanks for all the input, everyone. I think it's been decided: Blue Bayou for the first dinner, and then either Naples or Catan after that. And very possibly Yamabuki for a random lunch or dinner as well.

I guess I should explain that it's not just that we don't drink. I've had a lot of bad experience with alcohol in the past, and being surrounded by wines and wine-theme-related stuff is not my idea of a festive time. I find it rather depressing, and that's not how I really want to spend a special meal with my significant other.

Thanks for all the help.

rentayenta
08-10-2006, 12:10 PM
We call it the Olive Garden Syndrome. When we eat there, they just will not get the clue.

Here is the reason they ask so many times throughout the meal: they are instructed by HQ to do so! I know, it sucks, I worked there and in Utah no less. You can imagine how not fun it was to have to suggest wine 4 different times throughout the meal. Poor OG servers. :(

hbquik, it's not the servers at the OG who are unprofessional. It's a requirement of their job to ask and are highly pressured to do so.

I Heart Disneyland!
08-10-2006, 02:59 PM
hbquik, it's not the servers at the OG who are unprofessional. It's a requirement of their job to ask and are highly pressured to do so.

No kidding. When HQ tells you to do something, if you want to secure your job...you had better do it. It's like the bank where I work...we have to PUSH new accounts, loans, credit cards, etc. And, you better meet your quota per day. It's horrible.

As for the non-drinking issue....we don't drink either, and, we eat at all types of food establishments. Just say no thank you. (Not to sound like Nancy Reagan!) "Just say no" ! ha!

hbquikcomjamesl
08-11-2006, 12:20 AM
Hmm. If that is indeed the case, then the Olive Garden Corporate Management is being egregiously unprofessional. I've eaten, as I said, SEATED AT THE BAR, IN A SALOON, without being so pressured. Guess what restaurant chain I've lost all interest in ever visiting?

Then again, there are probably a thousand better Italian restaurants and restaurant chains than the Olive Garden. The Italian Village, in Chicago, is certainly a better non-chain Italian restaurant, and Pasta Pomodoro, based in San Francisco (but expanding) is certainly a better chain. Also, I can't seem to recall ever hearing anything good about OG, that wasn't their own adverising material.

cstephens
08-11-2006, 09:28 AM
When we go to Olive Garden (which is rarer and rarer now because they're always so busy), they ask if we want wine soon after we're seated, but if we say no, nothing after that. I've never felt pressured about alcohol at Olive Garden.

mulansgirl
08-11-2006, 09:39 AM
small voice "I like the olive garden"
Well, I am not sure if is because people never know what age I am or what but after saying no to wine the first time they never asked me again. My mother in law (very mormon) just turns over her wine glass when she sits at the table this works in the olive garden and on cruise ships they don't even ask they just take the glass away, my aunt on the other hand made a big deal about how she had to keep telling people no thank you, she was with my M-I-L on the cruise and never once tried to simply without a fuss turning over her glass, I think she enjoyed complaining. like I said I do not know why I have never had the problems with alochol pushing the way you guys have but Olive garden was my special date treat. great food, good price and I like the music. now I have moved on to special date treat is Disneyland with good food there.

JookyG
08-11-2006, 11:51 AM
Thanks for all the input, everyone. I think it's been decided: Blue Bayou for the first dinner, and then either Naples or Catan after that. And very possibly Yamabuki for a random lunch or dinner as well.

I guess I should explain that it's not just that we don't drink. I've had a lot of bad experience with alcohol in the past, and being surrounded by wines and wine-theme-related stuff is not my idea of a festive time. I find it rather depressing, and that's not how I really want to spend a special meal with my significant other.

Thanks for all the help.

Gotcha. The explanation does make a difference. Having grown up Mormon, I figured you might have a religioius allergy, and all the unfounded apprehensions that go along with that.

Naploli or Catal should be slightly better since there won't be grape pictures all over and actual vines nearby. I can't remember whether Napoli has a big wine display like you see in some restaurants. Some places have a whole wall of bottles or some other elaborate display. It's an Italian restaurant after all. I've never been to Catal, but it's Mediterranean, so again wine will be a large component. There's no escaping it except in DLP.

Leap for Joy
08-11-2006, 05:19 PM
Here is the reason they ask so many times throughout the meal: they are instructed by HQ to do so! I know, it sucks, I worked there and in Utah no less. You can imagine how not fun it was to have to suggest wine 4 different times throughout the meal. Poor OG servers. :(

We figured it was something like this, and we try to be patient and unperturbed when it happens.

kiwifuz
08-11-2006, 05:30 PM
This is so funny because I can't remember the last time I was even offered wine at the Olive Garden where I live or the one by my mother's house. We actually just had this discussion at lunch there recently because we miss the samples they offered. ;) It's seriously been years since they offered. Odd.

I guess for me I don't notice the alcohol factor as much since it doesn't bother me. From what I remember though, at Hook's Pointe last year we weren't even asked if we wanted wine with dinner. We did end up ordering it anyway, but it defintely wasn't pushed in any way. Our server actually had to go find out what kind of beer they had. Maybe it just varies from server to server.

But hey when in doubt Blue Bayou is a great option. Also, I've read great reviews about Cafe Orleans. Perhaps not as nice, but I've had romantic meals with my DH at restaurants that you wouldn't necessarily think of as "romantic."

rentayenta
08-11-2006, 08:40 PM
We figured it was something like this, and we try to be patient and unperturbed when it happens.

That's nice of you to be patient. When customers declined wine, which was almost always, I didn't ask again unless I saw a manager or spy standing around. ;) Sometimes corporate and even some guests are far removed from the real world of working folks.

Wendi
08-12-2006, 03:03 PM
My absolute favorite restaurant in DLR is Yamabuki. If you like Japanese food you should definitely give it a try.