PDA

View Full Version : More Old Time Entertainment Cuts at the DLR

Pages : [1] 2

Darkbeer
08-08-2006, 12:32 PM
Not sure where the original source of this info came from, but this was posted at MiceChat.

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33589

As many of you know, last week said farewell to several musical groups at Disneyland. Swing Souffle, the Firehouse Quartet and the Main Street Mercantile Band were dismantled and select musicians were picked to make one Dixieland Interactive Band (after the marching band finishes in the morning).

Well, as of Sept. 4, 2006, we say goodbye to 3 more musical groups. The weekend of Sept. 4 sees the last musical performances of the Side Street Strutters, the Bayou Brass and the River Rascals. It is unknown at this time what will be planned for the NOS area. The only musicians being kept are the Royal Street Bachelors and Ernie. The Side Street Strutters have been playing jazz in NOS for over 20 years. The River Rascals have been playing their Cajun/Zydeco music for the past 7 years. Bayou Brass has been around for at least 5 years, but could be longer.

Posted here with permission from the author.

And if anyone can identify the original source, please do so. Thanks.

evrythngwmn
08-08-2006, 01:01 PM
Sad, just very sad.

potzbie
08-08-2006, 01:25 PM
I don't know.
But I can guess...

DL had to make room for BILGE RATS AND BOOTSTRAPPERS, who play musical instruments, from 10:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

You do the math.

JookyG
08-08-2006, 04:06 PM
I did the math, and it doesn't add up.

The new pirate-themed entertainment has been in place since June, and the NOS jazz bands aren't being dismissed until after Labor Day. They've both been there all summer. It's too bad they couldn't just scale some of it back to weekends as the low season approaches. Disney had to cut someone, so my theory is they opted to keep the pirate-themed stuff since that's the current marketing focus. Unfortunately. NOS without jazz is like...well...NOS without jazz.

disneyperson
08-08-2006, 04:12 PM
No Sidestreet Strutters! No jazz in NOS ? :eek: :mad:
I was worried that the jazz musicians might lose out when the pirate entertainment came in. I'm sorry I was right. :crying:

Another Dimension
08-08-2006, 08:48 PM
This latest guest-unfriendly management decision can be summed up in 1 word....

PATHETIC. :mad:

wardkimballfan
08-08-2006, 08:55 PM
Pay ticket! Eat food! Buy souvenir! Stand in line for ride! Go on ride! Enjoy ride! Do again! Stand in line for other ride! Take picture! Go on other ride! Enjoy other ride! Do again! Eat again! Take picture! Ask CmHyperion where bathroom is! Enjoy parade! Go on ride! Enjoy show! Take picture! Shop more! Stand in more line! Go on more ride! Get out wallet again! Take picture! Get snack! Hurry hurry hurry! Get ready for parade again! Now get ready for nighttime show! Take picture! Enjoy self! Go home! Come back, do again next day! Buy more! Music? No time music! Buy more!

Disney Vault
08-08-2006, 09:07 PM
I don't even want to believe this. Can anyone confirm this? I will miss the Firehouse Quartet the most just because they really feel like such a huge part of Main Street. Will they be going away for good or will new people be getting these roles?

Darkbeer
08-08-2006, 09:15 PM
Alas, many folks have confirmed this..... :(

Another Dimension
08-08-2006, 09:37 PM
DL should just start up-charging for the live entertainment the same cheeseball way they are going to start up-charging to see the Disney Princesses in the Fantasyland $alon.

....and I bet the new Pres, hasn't clue 1 about DL entertainment's operations, changes, cuts or talent losses due to bad decisions, although I have an idea these further, guest-unfriendly, GOOD entertainment-for-bad cuts were made under Matt's watch. :mad:

When was the last time theme park executive of the year Jay Rasulo even visited Disneyland? When he hatched the narrow-minded idea for the kids only playland? :rolleyes:

When management is WEAK, the product SUFFERS.

Period.

jpeben
08-08-2006, 10:43 PM
This explains some new marching band rehearsing on mainstreet last night while we were closing Clothiers at like 130 am.

potzbie
08-09-2006, 09:46 AM
I don't know what Disneyland management has in mind.

My concern is that, if you're going to get rid of X, then you better replace X with something equal or greater.

I fear that the PIRATES "theme" will go nuts.
• Imagine the DAPPER DANS, dressed up like Captain Blood and Blackbeard.
• Imagine the BAYOU BRASS BAND wearing English sailor/marine uniforms.
"
Holy square-peg-in-round-hole, Batman!"

Like I said, if management is changing the "old guard" into a NEW IMPROVED "new guard", then fine.

I doubt that management will get rid of jazz and not leave SOMETHING in its place.
(The article did say that the trio, ROYAL STREET BACHELORS, will continue. Right?)
If the DAPPER DANS is the exemplar, then at least we will ultimately have a new edition of RIVER RASCALS, even if the personnel change. Even if the name changes.

Idea:
I could see an old-time folk group in CRITTER COUNTRY.
Something close to the KINGSTON TRIO, or moving DCA's MINER FORTY-NINERS, could be placed in CRITTER COUNTRY.

In theory, they may be cutting NEW ORLEANS SQUARE jazz to put in something else, elsewhere.

Like I said, I don't see slash-and-burn cuts.
I see "revisions".
I hope for "improvements."

olegc
08-09-2006, 10:18 AM
OK - so we get rid of the atmosphere and "show" portion of each land for the sake of saving some bucks (my interpretation). What - did Paul Pressler get hired again? Did McKinsey consultants come in again to show how cutting out operational things (and entertainment) will actually help them make more profit?

What I really don't get is that they just announced a great Q3 for WDC - mostly from Parks - and why do you think the "parks" do that? for the entire package, not just the attractions.

I worry what Russolo and his band of Homogonizing Gremlins are doing to the parks overall. What will be left to do when you're hanging out? Where is the THEME anymore..

as I said - might as well be six flags. WHERE IS THAT POWERPOINT! :crying:

Another Dimension
08-09-2006, 10:04 PM
The truth is... when Paul and Cynthia ran DL... Adventureland had 2 live bands doing several sets each on weekends and New Orleans Square had over a half dozen groups doing several sets a day on alternating days.

I know.. because I was there for a lot of the Alturas and TnT in Adventureland sets and in NOS for many Gloryland Brass Band and Orleans St Band and Bayou Brass Band and Edwin Pleasents soloing on sax and the Big Muddy Trio and Lisa Haley & the Zydecats and Side Effect and Ray Templin on solo piano and the Royal Street Bachelors and the Side Street Strutters and the River Rascals.... all in the same week sometimes.
And NOS still had a Mime and 2 awesome Grand Marshalls as side entertainment .... and some tap dancers that danced with some jazz bands.

Those Disney fans still blindly slamming a few EX-Disney execs that are long gone... may think it's just being funny.. but it's also quite weak IMO... based on the facts of the past.

Did the parks upkeep decline under past managements? Yes.

Did live music and entertainment at DL under those past execs completely blow away the 2004 and 2005 and 2006 DL entertainment numbers under Matt Ouimett? TOTALLY!

Will Matt Ouimett ever be needlessly villified like Paul and Cynthia still are... and as wrongly?

Unlikely. :rolleyes:

Disney Vault
08-09-2006, 10:08 PM
The truth is... when Paul and Cynthia ran DL... Adventureland had 2 live bands doing several sets each on weekends and New Orleans Square had over a half dozen groups doing several sets a day on alternating days.

I know.. because I was there for a lot of the Alturas and TnT in Adventureland sets and in NOS for many Gloryland Brass Band and Orleans St Band and Bayou Brass Band and Edwin Pleasents soloing on sax and the Big Muddy Trio and Lisa Haley & the Zydecats and Side Effect and the Royal Street Bachelors and the Side Street Strutters and the River Rascals.... all in the same week sometimes.
And NOS still had a Mime and 2 awesome Grand Marshalls as side entertainment .... and some tap dancers that danced with some jazz bands.

Those Disney fans still blindly slamming a few EX-Disney execs that are long gone... may think it's just being funny.. but it's also quite weak IMO... based on the facts of the past.

Did the parks upkeep decline under past managements? Yes.

Did live music and entertainment at DL under those past execs completely blow away the 2004 and 2005 and 2006 DL entertainment numbers under Matt Ouimett? TOTALLY!

Will Matt Ouimett ever be needlessly villified like Paul and Cynthia still are... and as wrongly?

Unlikely. :rolleyes:
They have all done great things for the resort. Can't forget what they did to the holiday season at the DLr. It was nothing before they arrived and made it as great as it is today. But if they only have a certain budget to work with I would take upkeep over live entertainment. Although I don't think they should have to settle like that.

Another Dimension
08-10-2006, 02:01 AM
But if they only have a certain budget to work with I would take upkeep over live entertainment. Although I don't think they should have to settle like that.

I'd take safety, upkeep and maintenance over live bands too.
Human life, is human life.

But I'd take in-park live bands over the parking CM's anyday.

I drove to the Resort without hitting anyone or offing myself ... and I am fully capable of parking myself.
Toll and tram CM's necesary!
Others? meh!

I'd take live band entertainment in the budget over excessive amounts of parking CM's (6 the other day at the end of 1 row) any day ... and every day of the year.

No offense to the parking CMs... but there are 1000's of other positions to fill at the Disneyland Resort. I don't want you jobless... unless you only are qualified to work in parking positions. :confused:

The live bands are the life blood of New Orleans Square.

I can actually park my car incredibly well...
I do it in Downtown Disney, literally all over the western United States and in my own tight clearance garage... on a daily basis. :rolleyes:

TikiGeek
08-10-2006, 06:59 AM
Well, as of Sept. 4, 2006, we say goodbye to 3 more musical groups. The weekend of Sept. 4 sees the last musical performances of the Side Street Strutters, the Bayou Brass and the River Rascals. This is very upsetting!!! :mad:

Disney's profits were way up last quarter - in large part due to theme park business. Cutting "theme" out of theme park makes no sense. :confused:

What about the "pre-Fantasmic" music - are they just going to do without?

No Strutters??? No Rascals??? What about Christmas??? :crying:

These musical groups really due make the atmosphere in their respective areas - I just don't get it - what the heck is Disney doing? :mad:

The_Admiral
08-10-2006, 07:22 AM
This is just another example of Disney cutting back on the classics. One of my fondest memories of "courting" my wife was staying up until 4 in the morning watching Vault Disney on the Disney Channel (for those who don't know, classic cartoons and classic Disney films). They started chipping away at it hour by hour until nothing was left but reruns of the many new (and in my opinion, horrible) new Disney series. Ugh, and sad.

JookyG
09-14-2006, 10:59 PM
Not sure where the original source of this info came from, but this was posted at MiceChat.

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33589

And if anyone can identify the original source, please do so. Thanks.

Is this Ernie...?

http://jookyg.com/webimages/Ernie.jpg

I Heart Disneyland!
09-15-2006, 01:03 AM
SO sad! I hate these changes. :mad:

http://thumb2.webshots.net/t/60/160/6/17/30/2168617300032942782YHqQTO_th.jpg (http://community.webshots.com/photo/2168617300032942782YHqQTO)

Stupid_American
09-15-2006, 05:00 AM
As with the Dapper Dans, Disney has found it cost effective to let long-time, higher paid, full time employees go, and replace them with new, part time, lower paid employees.

Not only is the pay less, under 30 hours recieves no benefits.
You now see younger, rotating Dans!

olegc
09-15-2006, 07:31 AM
As with the Dapper Dans, Disney has found it cost effective to let long-time, higher paid, full time employees go, and replace them with new, part time, lower paid employees.

Not only is the pay less, under 30 hours recieves no benefits.
You now see younger, rotating Dans!

Not only Disney - it's the modern business way... happened to me in August..

Dom262
09-15-2006, 08:56 AM
Is this Ernie...?

http://jookyg.com/webimages/Ernie.jpgYep

JookyG
09-15-2006, 09:19 AM
As sad as it is to see some of these guys go, it makes sense. Think about how many bands were playing both on Main Street and in New Orleans Square during the peak summer seaons. It was almost constant. In fact, sitting in the French Market listening to the River Rascals, I couldn't help but be distracted by the Bootstrappers playing over in front of Cafe Orleans. There was so much music that it was overlapping.

So now it's off season. How much sense would it make to have that much entertainment for an empty park? I was in New Orleans Square last week, and it was EMPTY. Which means someone's hours had to get cut. What's the solution? Cut all the bands' performances down to 1 or 2 a week? Or reorganize the whole shebang?

The changes on Main Street have worked out well. The new Dapper Dans are a refreshing change, very talented, and the younger faces bring a new vitality to Main Street. While I miss the Main Street Merchants Association Municipal Brass Band and the Firemen's band, the new Strawhatters are really good, and the Hook & Ladder Company is fantastic!!!

So let's just wait and see what happens in New Orleans Square. Everyone likes to moan about how terrible the changes are going to be. But lately all the changes I've seen either make sense or are for the best. Take the PotC updates. Everyone was certain that "their" ride would be ruined, but I've never seen it look better. Same with Haunted Mansion. Same with the Main Street entertainment. Why should the NOS entertainment be any different?

Another Dimension
09-15-2006, 11:08 AM
Is this Ernie...?

http://jookyg.com/webimages/Ernie.jpg

Yes, that's Ernie.

A very nice man and a wonderful jazz guitarist!

He was playing solo sets in NOS on 9/15 afternoon.

Good stuff!

Plussing attractions to keep inspiring new magic in Guests as Walt directed, and blantantly firing many many talented musicians whose only 'crimes' are tenure, acheiving an actual decent payrate for a CM and their colorful Disneyland history, then replacing them with mostly green newbs and/or the re-arranging of popular and unique bands that now play painfully generic set lists, with characters crammed in to lessen the jazz effect and over-shadow the musicianship ... are greatly different things.