PDA

View Full Version : Is California Adventure worth visiting? Never been there.

Pages : [1] 2

HelloMikey
08-08-2006, 09:17 AM
Hello,
Going to DL next week, never been to DCA. Should we bother going? This is our first trip to DL since 2000, and we have 3 day tickets, but I am not sure if we should waste any time at DCA since DL is the main spectacle. So what do you guys think? Thanks.:cool:

stan4d_steph
08-08-2006, 09:23 AM
Are your tickets hoppers? I'm assuming they are. I think DCA is worth visiting if you've never been.

Soarin' Over California is great fun. Tower of Terror is a great thrill ride.

Usually DCA isn't all that crowded, so if DL is getting a bit too tight, you could head over to DCA for some ice cream at Burrrbank.

HelloMikey
08-08-2006, 09:26 AM
Yes they are park hopper tickets.

annieb727
08-08-2006, 09:30 AM

Then by all means...I would go visit...even if for just a few hours. The big rides there are really cool - but you don't have to spend an entire day there.

DangerMouse
08-08-2006, 09:31 AM
How old are the people you are going with? I personally love DCA and think it's a great place for a break from the crowds. The Animation Studio is worth the walk over there alone. But Screamin, ToT, Soarin, and Grizzley River Run and Muppets 3-D are not to be missed.

oregontraveler
08-08-2006, 09:41 AM
Don't forget the Aladdin show. I was there last Thursday and was able to most of it in 5 hours, although I rode Screamin' 3 times in a row in 40 minutes.
I skipped Grizzly River since it was overcast and came back later for Turtle Talk. The new Monsters Inc. ride is OK, you should try to see the Electrical Parade too.

hbquikcomjamesl
08-08-2006, 09:42 AM
An awful lot of people hate Golden Dreams, but I rather like it.

I also think that the Boudin exhibit is worth at least a few minutes, particularly if something's actually going on.

The way the Mission Tortilla exhibit was originally set up, I found it to be as big of an embarrassment to Mexico as the Mexico ride in Epcot. It's improved greatly since then, although I still don't think it's nearly as good as Boudin.

kkmickey
If you get there right when it opens, you can go right to Soarin', and start collecting fast passes. Tower of Terror didn't have lines until late afternoon when I was there last week. If you don't mind riding separately, you can always get a 'single rider' pass at most of the best rides in DCA, and you would get through the rides in no time!

backsthepack
Totally worth a visit. It is not my favorite place, by no means, but it is still worth the park hopper tickets. It is a unique park.

TikiGeek
08-08-2006, 09:49 AM
Hello,
Going to DL next week, never been to DCA. Should we bother going? This is our first trip to DL since 2000, and we have 3 day tickets, but I am not sure if we should waste any time at DCA since DL is the main spectacle. So what do you guys think? Thanks.:cool:You would be really missing out if you didn't visit DCA on a 3 day stay with park hoppers.

Soarin' Over California is worth the visit alone. DCA is a different experience than DL and a whole lot of fun. :)

quadaunt
08-08-2006, 10:11 AM
Definitely do DCA. I love this park. I enjoy the theming and they have some great attractions. Love the food and atmosphere at the Golden Vine Winery. Even if you've ridden Soarin' at EPCOT, the aviation theming of the Condor Flats area (where SOC is located) and in the SOC queue are superior to EPCOT's. I always make time to ride SOC multiple times...spectacular attraction.

Two days is always plenty for me at DL. If you are there for three days my two cents is to use the third day for DCA and DTD.

Lekta
08-08-2006, 10:14 AM
DCA is great in my opinion. Screamin, Tower, and Soarin are a good time alone. Not to mention the good food, wine, animation building, turtle talk, Alladdin show, etc... I could go on and on. It is truely a must see when me and my family go.

kisroo
08-08-2006, 10:25 AM
I could be wrong but, even in the summer, you should be able to see quite a bit of DCA (and it's worth it definitely!!) in one day and then still have much of the evening left to spend in DL.

Have a great time!!

~kisroo:)

Frogberto
08-08-2006, 10:39 AM
If you're collecting answers, most of which seem to be yes, then add mine to the list - yes! There's more to do here for adults than Knotts, Universal Studios, or Legoland, and for the price (an extra $20 added onto a one day one park ticket), it's a good deal. CA Adventure has the Aladdin Show, It's Tough to Be a Bug, Grizzly River Rapids, Soarin', Tower of Terror, and California Screamin', all of which are premium rides, and it's less crowded, making it a nice place to visit during the mid-day when Disneyland's full.

going2disneyAZ
08-08-2006, 10:46 AM
Yes, if only for a few hours. MUST dos at DCA for are:

soarin'
tower of terror
turtle talk with crush

Syndrome
08-08-2006, 10:57 AM
Yes! I like DCA quite a bit and think you'll enjoy it. Especially if you're there 3 days. Definetely hit up Soarin', Tower of Terror, Screamin', Monsters, INC, and the animation building.

It has a totally different vibe than Disneyland, but I think that's a good thing.

tigga please
08-08-2006, 10:57 AM
Tower of Terror, California Screamin, Soaring over California, Bugs Life3D, Aladdin musical, Muppets 3D, Grizzly River Run, Monsters Inc, Golden Zephyr, Orange Stinger...so worth it. not to mention, being able to enjoy a cool margarita on a hot summer day in the park(DCA only).

i have yet to ride the Maliboomer, i think im savin that for my next trip ;)

Gone2Disneyland
08-08-2006, 11:10 AM
Then yes. Sounds like you're a big Disneyland fan, so when you visit DCA, don't have high expectations. Just explore. It also doesn't really take much time to tour the place either, being much smaller than Disneyland.

If you want recommendations of "must do"s in DCA, my suggestions are:

1. Soarin'
2. Aladdin
3. Tower of Terror (if you're into free-fall rides; I am)
4. California Screamin'
5. Grizzly River Rapids

Also, if you like the corn dogs in Disneyland, you may want to try the other offerings they have at the corn dog place in Paradise Pier (I fergit the name of it now).

Enjoy your trip.

potzbie
08-08-2006, 11:11 AM
You can do all the key RIDES and ATTRACTIONS in FOUR HOURS.

Get there at 10:00 a.m.
Leave at 2:00 p.m.
Why would you NOT go?

You will have time to do:
• Muppets in 3D
• Mike & Sully To the Rescue
• Soarin' Over California
• Grizzly River Run
• California Screamin'
• It's Tough to be a Bug
• Turtle Talk with Crush
• California Dreaming (film)

If you like to sit and be entertained with LIVE entertainment, then ...
• Aladdin the Musical
• (music acts) Miner Forty-Niners; Route 66; Wave Riders.

Short queues. Short wait times.
Certainly, you get more RIDE-PER-HOUR in DCA than in DL, where long queues can be kilers.

An efficient, yet lazy and relaxing, way to spend a morning/afternoon.

Vegitabeta
08-08-2006, 11:14 AM
I think you should give it a go, it's worth a visit, even if you just go on ToT!

hbquikcomjamesl
08-08-2006, 11:58 AM
California Dreaming (film)What? Did they replace Golden Dreams?

nvmom
08-08-2006, 12:04 PM
Yes, my family loves DCA. Granted, we only do one day over there... but still I agree w/most of the above posters. There are some way cool rides over there. Do not miss Aladdin... wonderful, wonderful show!

nvmom

Darkbeer
08-08-2006, 12:25 PM
In general, my opinion is that it is not worth the Full posted price of $59 for a one-day, one-park ticket.

I also don't think it is worth it for most people to pay the extra $20 to convert that ticket to a ParkHopper. There is more than enough to do at Disneyland for the full day, and the combination of the extra costs, and have to give up things at Disneyland makes me recommend the One Day, One Park option for Disneyland.

But any other ticket (or Annual Pass), DCA is pretty much added at no extra cost. In those cases, then it depends how much time you have. As mentioned earlier, with 3 days, you can go visit DCA for a few hours, then head back to Disneyland to catch the Fireworks, Fantasmic!, the Parade, etc.

I would go check it out, maybe start at Disneyland, since it opens earlier on most days, then head over to DC around Noon, maybe grab lunch at DCA, seems like the lines are shorter, and there are some good choices in meals. Then after checking the park out, head back to Disneyland for the evening.

rentayenta
08-08-2006, 01:05 PM
DCA is definetly worth visiting. My DH and 3 kids love DCA, in fact my DH likes it more than DL but I think it's just to bug me. ;)

Soarin'
Screamin'
ToT
Electrical Parade
Dinner at Ariel's
Bug's Land
Animation Studio
short lines to visit characters
Grizzly River Run

All greast reasons to visit DCA

MeelaneMouse
08-08-2006, 04:06 PM
I would also just like to add - don't try to see the Electrical Parade at DCA and then run across to Disneyland to see the fireworks in the same night.... you will not have enough time. I was there last night and it was packed! I'm not sure why they close DCA right after the parade forcing everyone out knowing that they will all try to go into Disneyland, but that's the way it is... granted you can see a lot of the fireworks from the esplanade, but it is not the same as being in the midst of the show and hearing the soundtrack.