PDA

View Full Version : Haunted Mansion...What The Heck?!?!

corrinhorn
05-04-2002, 10:20 PM
Hey I was at Disneyland this Evening, (talk about a Busman's holiday) and went on the Haunted Mansion, which I haven't been on since it changed back from Holiday, and they had the message about the lap bars etc. in spanish, when did this start, and most of all...WHAT THE HECK!?!

RealDisneyLegend
05-04-2002, 10:28 PM
....Guarde sus manos y brazos dentro del coche!

Spanish speaking people need to be reminded too!

P.S. Happy Cinco de Mayo!

Nigel2
05-04-2002, 10:36 PM
They did it when it reopened (I think, it may have been a little afterwards though). I wonder if they used corry burton (the psychotic man of many voices :D) for the pseduo Paul for that part.

corrinhorn
05-04-2002, 10:43 PM
I realize that, I am not being Prejudiced, and if I sounded like it, I am sorry... It just suprised me...I usually never end up going on the attractions...Oh Well

Nigel2
05-04-2002, 10:46 PM
Don't worry, it's just legal again probably. You can't blame them for wanting to protect themselves.

Uncle Dick
05-04-2002, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Nigel2
They did it when it reopened (I think, it may have been a little afterwards though).
I don't think it's been there longer than a month. I find it a little annoying, personally. The "fake spiel" ruins the spooky mood that's been established with a very unconvincing Spanish "ghost host". And why is the spiel only in Spanish and English? Why not Japanese or any of the other languages that are spoken by Disneyland guests?

And I really don't think a spiel's going to help all that much if they don't even bother to make sure the safety bars go down (as zapppop and I discovered a couple of weeks ago).

Nigel2
05-04-2002, 10:53 PM
Oh you have been on one where the bar didn't go down?:)
Well odds are they don't do any other languages becuase they only have a limited amount of space/time to put that in so they had to choose 2 major California languages (I don't know, heck if they wanted to go U.N. it would be English and French I believe)

corrinhorn
05-04-2002, 11:14 PM
You Know what else is really a mood wrecker...? That stupid voice that tells you how to get out of the cart!!!

Nigel2
05-04-2002, 11:15 PM
Again, legal.:D Too bad Paul is dead then they could of had him record all of those.

corrinhorn
05-04-2002, 11:25 PM
Yeah, but it is Disney, they can find a person who can do Voice Impressions...They did for Jim Varney in Atlantis...

Nigel2
05-04-2002, 11:29 PM
I need to check my DVD again but I thought that they had enough for the movie (well they cut some probably) when Jim Died. But the closest they are able to come to Paul (and many of his characters) is Cory Burton... which sort of surprises me if they don't use him for that short part. Oh and why does it say the TV show is back in production (for atlantis)?

Uncle Dick
05-04-2002, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by corrinhorn
You Know what else is really a mood wrecker...? That stupid voice that tells you how to get out of the cart!!!
For some reason, that voice doesn't really bother me as much. It's at the very end of the ride, instead of right smack dab in the middle so by the time you hear it, the whole thing is basically over (except for Little Leota). The attraction begins for me in the stretching room and the whole experience is kind of thrown off by the new spiel which plays well after the mood has already been established by the changing portraits and staring busts. It's not a big thing for me, but it is a tad annoying and unnecessary if you ask me.

corrinhorn
05-04-2002, 11:42 PM
They had the voice over for the last line Cookie spoke in Atlantis about the grease from the trip.

Nigel2
05-04-2002, 11:44 PM
Ah, well it happens... now if he died early on the they probably would have done the same thing they did with Whitmore.:)

corrinhorn
05-05-2002, 12:12 AM
Probably, but like they said, he did so much Ad Lib and stuff, that they had enough...Well goodnight all

Tigertail777
05-05-2002, 01:26 AM
No it isn't Corey Burton he refused to do it not wanting to ruin Free's original speech with a voice-over. So they got someone else. We have been disscussing this on one of the older threads on the Doombuggies.com post board. Somewhere on the Doombuggies site you can also hear the spiel for yourself. Corey proposed to do a spiel to fit in before free's , but Disney decided not to do it. I personally think they should use the new headphone laser triggered technology for different languages, so they can cover all legal bases with all languages and leave the original alone for english people.

ricksfca
05-05-2002, 10:40 AM
Maybe one of those 999 ghost speaks Spanish. Doesn't really bother me. It would bother me if the Spanish voice also suggested a delicious Churro from the many convenient Disneyland locations. Or how about lunch at that Rancho place?

Ace
05-05-2002, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Tigertail777
No it isn't Corey Burton he refused to do it not wanting to ruin Free's original speech with a voice-over. So they got someone else. We have been disscussing this on one of the older threads on the Doombuggies.com post board. Somewhere on the Doombuggies site you can also hear the spiel for yourself. Corey proposed to do a spiel to fit in before free's , but Disney decided not to do it. I personally think they should use the new headphone laser triggered technology for different languages, so they can cover all legal bases with all languages and leave the original alone for english people.

headphone what now?

Tigertail777
05-05-2002, 01:25 PM
I read this on either mouseplanet, or some other Disney related site... Disney has developed a technology that would allow guests from different countries put on a headphone, and then relay stations in the rides would broadcast their language into the headphones.. this way they could appeal to all races and languages. They talked about having the entire ride for nearly all rides being re-acted in each language for the head-phones. I think this is a very smart idea for all purposes legal and aesthetic, and I highly encourage it. I'm guessing that they will probably install these when and if the budget is approved for the anniversary celebration when where they talked about finally doing another smart thing: completely refurbishing all of the major rides and adding a few new scenes to each one.

SoCalSnowWhite
05-06-2002, 02:46 PM
I wouldn't think the headphones would be a very good idea. Considering hygeine and sanitation and all. it would probably be very costly.

Ghoulish Delight
05-06-2002, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by SoCalSnowWhite
I wouldn't think the headphones would be a very good idea. Considering hygeine and sanitation and all. it would probably be very costly. Not really. GMWML has headphone with no problems. Heck, many many major museums across the world offer recorded tours with headphones and tape devices with no hygene issues. Other than the wireless broadcast bit of it, this is proven technology, and even that part would be a little more than a larger scale adaptation of technology that's existed for about 10 years or so. It is entirely do-able and would be a wonderful addition, I think, to the Disney experience.

Ideally, it would be used for hundreds of things, from attraction narations, to Fastpass instructions, to translating menu items. My only worry would be the fact that they would almost invariably start pushing churros and ride photos, and in the extreme start selling ads that would be broadcast. But the thought of people from around the world being able to have important things explained to them in their own language at the touch of a button is certainly an attractive one. Heck, they should make one available in English! Having a recording that explains FP to the masses would be a benefit in itself.