PDA

View Full Version : Walking distance questions [Disneyland]

socaltexan02
08-04-2006, 07:20 AM
Hi. We are planning on a DL visit while my mom is in town. She is still recovering from knee replacement surgery, and while she can walk and get around, it is slow and difficult and painful especially if it's for a long period. She really loves DL and wants to go while she's here, though. Anyway...we will be renting a ECV at DL. Do you think we'd be better off taking her to the drop-off parking lot and having her walk to the rental spot, or, parking in the garage in handicap parking and doing the tram? I'm thinking it'd be less walking to do the drop-off. Better yet...if I walked and rented it, would they let me drive it to the drop-off parking lot to get her?

I wonder how getting in/out of rides will go...she bends her knee a bit slowly. Of course, we've discussed the fact that there is plenty to do other than ride rides. She'll be happy if we just watch a parade/show and have a churro. :)

JookyG
08-04-2006, 07:23 AM
My aunt has knee problems and faces the same problem. She always parks in the structure and takes the tram, even though my cousin (her daughter) could drop her off. So that makes me think the walk from the parking spot to the tram, and from the tram to the esplanade isn't too great. It's a subjective judgement, though. You can check out the distances with mapping programs like Google Earth.

You can rent the ECV in advance, but the CMs will only release it to the "driver." And they won't let you take the ECVs out of the esplanade, although they will let you park-hop with them.

Make sure to rent it by 10am on busy days and weekends, since they sell out early. You can get on a waiting list, but folks don't usually start returning them until 5pm or so.

And remember, driving a scooter in a Disney park DOES NOT automatically give the driver the right-of-way :D

Hope this helps!

MammaSilva
08-04-2006, 07:31 AM
You can't take the park rentals outside the security area...so renting it and taking it to the actual drop off lot won't work. My suggestion would be to drive into Mickey and friends EARLY and ask for Pinocchio, you have to have a parking placard for HCA to get assigned out there, but she should have at least a temporary one if not a permanent one. Once you go out to the Pinocchio lot park as close to the opening/crosswalk as you possibly can. Ride the tram into the DTD area, have mom walk thru security and find a spot to sit and wait while one of you go to the rental tent area and get the ECV and bring it back to her. Reverse the process at the end of your day, have her drive it all the way to security, get off and walk over and have a seat while someone returns the ECV to the rental tent and gets the refund. You have to actually return the ECV to get the $20 dollar deposit back so if you’re tempted to just leave it there by security be aware it’s going to cost you at least that if not more if someone else were to decide to just help them selves to the use of it for the remainder of the day.

Another issue is loading on/off the tram, If she doesn’t have one I suggest getting her a good cane to use in the times between the ECV and the car. It will help avoid people being rude if she uses either the van or the ramp to load without climbing the stairs onto the tram both on arrival and departure from the parks.

Malcon10t
08-04-2006, 09:13 AM
I wonder how getting in/out of rides will go...she bends her knee a bit slowly. Of course, we've discussed the fact that there is plenty to do other than ride rides. She'll be happy if we just watch a parade/show and have a churro. :)Most of the non-thrill rides she should be ok. On the larger thrill rides, they have timings to get people on and off. Space Mountain is excellent in that they have a rocket set aside for HCA which allows the rider time to enter at their own speed. That said, my stepdad wanted to ride California Screaming. He is almost 70. If my mom had been with him, she wouldn't have let him. He moves quite slowly due to 2 strokes. BUT, he rode it 3 times! We made plans ahead of time as we all knew the time issue. Getting in, my brother entered first and sort of lifted/pulled him in. We had my son in the seat behind him, my brother beside him, and as soon as the bars released to get out, my son and brother were up and basically lifted him straight out. It was the funniest sight, but hey, he got to ride and he loved it!

socaltexan02
08-04-2006, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the tips. Shortly after I posted and read the replies, we decided to GO! Mom was feeling up for it.

We dropped her off at the drop-off parking lot...the kids and I parked in Timon (or is it Pumba? :p ) and parked close enough to the tram stop that on the way out for the day she just did the shuttle w/ us. I think the walking distance from that tram is significantly shorter than from Mickey/Friends...at least to the ECV/stroller rental spot. So it worked out great.

We stuck w/ non-thrill rides...w/ my 4 and 2 year olds and a Granny w/ a bad knee, no need for thrill. :eek: She did bring her cane for going to/from the ECV to rides, that helped...all in all it worked out great!

Malcon10t, I hope I'm enjoying coaster and such at the ripe old age of 70! :)