PDA

View Full Version : Chocolate Covered Strawberries

Pages : [1] 2

KDCartoons
08-03-2006, 01:04 PM
Okay, this is a bit of an embarrassing thing.......asking about these.

Lo' those many years ago.........early, EARLY 80's my last vist ( 2nd) to DL, we re-discovered a succulent treat at a candystore on Main Street: Chocolate covered strawberries.
But not just any chocolate covered strawberries.....no, these were the best damn morsels I've ever had. Bar none.
Huge, HUGE berries.......sweetest I've ever eaten, dipped in some of the best chocolate I've ever tasted as well.
We visted around easter time, and they hadn't made them initially, but after a few days they had and and we indulged.
Seriously..........these things have sparked dreams--they were that good!

But..........

Do they still make them?
They still sold on Main Street, and if so, what is the exact name of the store??

And more importantly, are they as good as I seem to remember?

Or is it all a lost dream??

Malcon10t
08-03-2006, 01:07 PM
Okay, this is a bit of an embarrassing thing.......asking about these.

Lo' those many years ago.........early, EARLY 80's my last vist ( 2nd) to DL, we re-discovered a succulent treat at a candystore on Main Street: Chocolate covered strawberries.
But not just any chocolate covered strawberries.....no, these were the best damn morsels I've ever had. Bar none.
Huge, HUGE berries.......sweetest I've ever eaten, dipped in some of the best chocolate I've ever tasted as well.
We visted around easter time, and they hadn't made them initially, but after a few days they had and and we indulged.
Seriously..........these things have sparked dreams--they were that good!

But..........

Do they still make them?
They still sold on Main Street, and if so, what is the exact name of the store??

And more importantly, are they as good as I seem to remember?

Or is it all a lost dream??Yes. I believe you can find them in the Candy store on Main St, in the candy area back in Pooh's corner, and in the candy area of the California store in DCA just as you enter on the left (why the heck can't I remember the names of the dang stores????) Also, if you do the 'Fantasmic!' viewing, they are "all you can eat".

KDCartoons
08-03-2006, 01:16 PM
Whoohooo!
You just made my trip! LOL
I've been going on and on and on about these things with my wife and two step-sons and they think they are some kind of myth!

Now I get to see their expressions when they try one.
Bwhahahahahahaaaaa!
Muchos Gracias.

Raven
08-03-2006, 01:25 PM
And they are just as delicious as they have always been!

KDCartoons
08-03-2006, 01:35 PM
And they are just as delicious as they have always been!

Are they as big??

I remember they took about 4-5 bites to eat.

Now THAT is a strawberry!

mulansgirl
08-03-2006, 01:38 PM
Beware, of memory. I have a tendency of makeing food so good in memory when I finally have a chance to eat that food again, the poor stuff can never be what I made it in my mind. even though it is amazing it will never replace the first bite.

DwoernAdale
08-03-2006, 01:49 PM
They have them at Marceline's Confectionary in DTD also I believe.

Opus1guy
08-03-2006, 02:29 PM
Strawberry crops vary greatly. One day Disneyland's covered strawberries can be juicy and sweet...the next day they might not be so hot. Just depends on the quality of the berry itself. Size doesn't really matter either...a dud berry is a dud berry no matter it's size.

I've never had a really bad one at Disneyland. Just sometimes they are spectacular and sometimes they're not so.

Malcon10t
08-03-2006, 04:26 PM
Beware, of memory. I have a tendency of makeing food so good in memory when I finally have a chance to eat that food again, the poor stuff can never be what I made it in my mind. even though it is amazing it will never replace the first bite.This is so true. But, these are the best chocolate strawberries I've ever had. I usually only have them at Fantasmic! so that I can eat what I pay for seating!!

pisces
08-03-2006, 05:49 PM
Target has dark chocolate covered strawberries.

"Archer Farms" ---their house brand.

I think they have something, also, called yogurt covered strawberries.

Do you like chocolate-covered cranberries, and chocolate covered orange slices?

I know a place.....

I Heart Disneyland!
08-04-2006, 12:03 AM
Are they as big??

I remember they took about 4-5 bites to eat.

Now THAT is a strawberry!

Yes, they ARE that big! I had them in Critter Country several times during my trip in May of this year. They are amazing!!!!!! They are like $3.95 each, but, so worth every tasty bite! I forget the name of the candy shop, but, it's across from the entrance to Splash Mountain! ENJOY!!!!!

Vegitabeta
08-04-2006, 02:31 AM
It's the Pooh Candy shop right?

stan4d_steph
08-04-2006, 05:02 AM
It's the Pooh Candy shop right?They also make them at Candy Palace, but not every day. Like everything made there, they have a schedule for the week and they rotate what gets made.

RStar
08-04-2006, 05:49 AM
Also, the berries need to be in season somewhere. There are times when they just cannot be had. The candy store on Main Street doesn't always have them, but some places like Marcelines has them as long as they can get strawberries from somewhere. And where they get them will effect their taste. But they always get the premium ones with at least a certain amount of quality.

I will sometimes buy the locally grown and hand picked ripend on the plant strawberries. They are soooo much better than those store bought, picked green and ripened on the way tastless nasty things they sale in the grocery store. And then I dip them myself in dipping chocolate or "Almond Bark" (a type of chocolate for candy making. Delish! And enough for the whole family to get their fill for the price of just 2 or 3 of the ones from DL.

annieb727
08-04-2006, 11:14 AM
They are like $3.95 each, but, so worth every tasty bite!

So just make sure you eat AT LEAST 15 of them if any of you go to the Fantasmic Premiere seating and you will have gotten your money's worth LOL :p

Opus1guy
08-04-2006, 11:51 AM
So just make sure you eat AT LEAST 15 of them if any of you go to the Fantasmic Premiere seating and you will have gotten your money's worth LOL :p

I attempt to demonstrate this same theorem when I fly First Class on an airline. I try to drink my ticket price in free booze.

;)

Malcon10t
08-04-2006, 11:59 AM
I attempt to demonstrate this same theorem when I fly First Class on an airline. I try to drink my ticket price in free booze.

;)I usually try and eat my Fantasmic! seatings value in the chocolate covered strawberries and the strawberry filled shortcake cookies... Not to mention at least 2 bottles of water and 1 sprite! At Disney cost, I get my money's worth!

Karin
08-04-2006, 03:50 PM
Also, the berries need to be in season somewhere. There are times when they just cannot be had.

This is exactly what I was going to say. This is NOT the premiere strawberry season just now. May/June are the best.

Just because they have them and they're big, doesn't mean they'll be any good. Just be wary. Perhaps buy one first to see how they are before buying all they have and then finding out they aren't sweet at all.

My 2 cents...

I Heart Disneyland!
08-04-2006, 03:51 PM
It's the Pooh Candy shop right?

Yep! That's the one!!! Yummmy!

Crazy4DL
08-04-2006, 07:01 PM

oh lordy! we be in trouble next week! (doing the Fantasmic seating :D :D :D )

Vegitabeta
08-05-2006, 02:03 AM
Yep! That's the one!!! Yummmy!
I should have got them...I got a Tigger tail and hated it! lol

RStar
08-05-2006, 07:42 AM
I didn't hate the Tigger Tail, but I knew what to expect. However, it was no chocolate strawberry, that's for sure!

Wizard69
08-05-2006, 08:37 AM
Yes. I believe you can find them in the Candy store on Main St, in the candy area back in Pooh's corner, and in the candy area of the California store in DCA just as you enter on the left (why the heck can't I remember the names of the dang stores????) Also, if you do the 'Fantasmic!' viewing, they are "all you can eat".

All you can eat for $59.

Wizard69
08-05-2006, 08:38 AM
Yes, they ARE that big! I had them in Critter Country several times during my trip in May of this year. They are amazing!!!!!! They are like $3.95 each, but, so worth every tasty bite! I forget the name of the candy shop, but, it's across from the entrance to Splash Mountain! ENJOY!!!!!

The plain ones are $3.50 and the Almond or Coconut ones are $4.00.

Wizard69
08-05-2006, 08:41 AM
This is exactly what I was going to say. This is NOT the premiere strawberry season just now. May/June are the best.

Just because they have them and they're big, doesn't mean they'll be any good. Just be wary. Perhaps buy one first to see how they are before buying all they have and then finding out they aren't sweet at all.

My 2 cents...

I noticed that in May/June, the strawberries are bigger and juicier. In July/August they are smaller because that is nearing the end of the strawberry season (for Disneyland selling them).