PDA

View Full Version : Best Ribs Ever! [River Belle]

DisneyBubbles
08-02-2006, 10:02 AM
Ok I have to say that my husband and I absolutley love the ribs meal at The River Belle Terrace. It's always very tender and juicy and the BBQ sauce is very tasty. It's funny because we went to BB and spent a lot more money and had their ribs (which were horrible) and ended up always returning to the River Belle Terrace for their ribs meal. The meal comes with corn on the cob, corn bread, beans and cole slaw and it is all soooo good. I would reccomend it to everyone. They have a BBQ ribs and chicken combo plate too which is also good but we prefer the all ribs plate.:D

Gone2Disneyland
08-02-2006, 11:17 AM
I've known about the new BBQ items on their menu for months, and I *still* need to make it out there. Guess that's the closest we'll get to the taste of the ol' Big Thunder BBQ, which I know lots of us loved and miss.

Opus1guy
08-02-2006, 11:56 AM
Here's my review of the then-new BBQ at River Belle from back in February of last year:

Hey. Couldn't wait any longer and happened to be in the area, so I dropped by the River Belle for some Q at lunch today!

Had the chicken & rib "River Belle Barbecue Platter."

Pork ribs were nice sized, lots of meat, and very tender. Same preparation as Zocalo's [used to have]. Sweet BBQ. Very tasty, IMHO. Got 3 ribs instead of the advertised 2. :)

BBQ chicken was a quarter chicken, very nice and moist. A nice "dew" on it, as some BBQers would say.

Nice presentation of slaw on a bed of greens, corn cobbette, and the beans were nice. I'm no cornbread lover myself, but it was warm and I assume very good. ;) Little packets of Bull's Eye BBQ Sauce if you want extra.

http://members.aol.com/opus1guy/uploads/riverbellebbq.jpg

All and all pretty decent Q and I thought a good sized serving for the money.

The only thing I didn't care for was the presentation up where you order and pick-up your meal. They just have a turquoise napkin with a sample of each of the 2 main plates on display. Looks kinda cheap and tacky.

But other than that, Opus gives it 2 thumbs up with minimal BBQ stains on his clothes. :)

Aside: Absolutely BEAUTIFUL sunny, clear, uncrowded day in the Park today!

I've dined there several times since and they are just as good. Don't think I'd personally call them the best ever I ever had by a long shot. But they're pretty darn good for theme park food.

Guess that's the closest we'll get to the taste of the ol' Big Thunder BBQ, which I know lots of us loved and miss.

IMHO, Big Thunder's were much better. Especially their big beef ribs! True smoked flavor deep into the meat. Almost didn't need sauce. :) Sure miss 'em. :(

hlbtimes2
08-02-2006, 11:56 AM
We shared the rib/ chicken combo plate in March when we were there. They were good! We also shared the turkey sandwich. It was ok, but not great. The meat was too "lunch meaty". Round slices of pressed turkey- just not what I was expecting.

MrsG
08-02-2006, 12:28 PM
Has anyone tried the salmon at River Belle??

I Heart Disneyland!
08-02-2006, 12:37 PM
I am starving now!!!!!

tmptink
08-02-2006, 12:40 PM
I have a question, my dh loves chicken but he does not like it on the bone. Does anyone know if they serve a boneless chicken?

Opus1guy
08-02-2006, 12:46 PM
I have a question, my dh loves chicken but he does not like it on the bone. Does anyone know if they serve a boneless chicken?

Their standard BBQ chicken Plates at the River Belle have bones. But you might inquire there if they have a boneless version they can whip up as a special order for you. They might use one for a sandwich they could substitute, or perhaps even de-bone the regular for him?

tmptink
08-02-2006, 12:54 PM
Their standard BBQ chicken Plates at the River Belle have bones. But you might inquire there if they have a boneless version they can whip up as a special order for you. They might use one for a sandwich they could substitute, or perhaps even de-bone the regular for him?

Thanks for the info. I am always looking for a new place to eat when we go there but we never do because he is so picky. So we eat at the same places. I don't mind because one is the Blue Bayou but I like to try new every once in awhile. I always wanted to try them because it looks so pretty.

DisneyBubbles
08-02-2006, 01:56 PM
I have had the salmon there and it is very tasty and moist. I expected it to be dry but was pleasantly surprised.

DisneyBubbles
08-02-2006, 01:57 PM
Why did they stop serving BBQ at Zocalo's?

MrsG
08-02-2006, 02:28 PM
I have had the salmon there and it is very tasty and moist. I expected it to be dry but was pleasantly surprised.
Thanks DB. I keep wanting to order it but wasn't sure. Fish can be really bad in mass market restaurants. Expected it to be "fishy".

Opus1guy
08-02-2006, 02:32 PM
Why did they stop serving BBQ at Zocalo's?

I don't know. Could be several reasons. Perhaps some new manager trying to put their personal stamp on a menu just for the sake of change? Or someone came up with some other items that had more profit built into them?

All I know is that the BBQ was hugely popular and even the Cast Members that worked there were amazed they did away with it.

Disneyland was pretty much BBQ-less for awhile until River Belle picked up a couple of the items. Guess someone finally wised-up or responded to Guest complaints about missing Q at the Park.

I do know that for over a year after they stopped serving BBQ there, the Disneyland.com web site said they still were! An error that was often posted about here on MousePad. I just now re-checked that web page and it seems someone finally got around to updating it.

Wish we could get a full dedicated BBQ restaurant back into Disneyland again. Like Big Thunder BBQ.

Or even better...like Don DeFore's Silver Banjo BBQ (http://www.yesterland.com/silverbanjo.html), which was coincidentally located right where the River Belle's kitchen is today!

Man...now that was a great Disneyland BBQ restaurant! I can smell and taste it now! :)

frank828
08-02-2006, 02:49 PM
just an update about the barbeque platter.

They no longer give you the lettuce under the coleslaw and also the portions seem to be a little smaller than before. The size of the ribs have definetely shrunk(unless they get smaller for dinner).

Other than that, it is still my favorite meal at DL. I always get the BBQ platter, chocolate cake(or strawberry shortcake) and a diet coke with light ice when i go. It all comes out to just under 20 bucks with my AP discount.

I Heart Disneyland!
08-02-2006, 06:02 PM
Wish they weren't closing Bengal BBQ to expand River Belle. :(

evrythngwmn
08-02-2006, 06:12 PM
I liked the salmon at Riverbelle better before they changed to all bbq. Now it's served with the corn, beans, coleslaw, cornbread and covered with a bbq sauce. I scraped off the bbq sauce. I wish they still served it with the mashed potatoes, vegetables and biscuit.

disney jones
08-02-2006, 09:18 PM
Has anyone tried the salmon at River Belle??yes, i eat salmon regurlarly, and the piece i had at RBT was better than average, though i'm sure it was farmed. it was cooked right, and the BBQ made it.

the ribs are tastier though. but i prefer ony Roma's above all else, or my own

cstephens
08-02-2006, 09:42 PM
I like the barbeque chicken at River Belle, but I've never had the ribs. My husband had it a while ago, and he liked it ok, but it still didn't look good enough for me to try.

I could never bring myself to try the barbeque at Rancho. Every time I tried, I'd look at them, think about Big Thunder Ranch, and then walk away.

I loved the short ribs at Blue Bayou, but short ribs aren't the same as regular ribs.

We have a really good barbeque place not too far from home, so that usually satisfies the craving. Of course, in recent times, I've also been introduced to Wood Ranch Grill and Lucille's, so now there are tons of barbeque options outside the park.

Mox
08-02-2006, 09:55 PM
Of course, in recent times, I've also been introduced to Wood Ranch Grill and Lucille's, so now there are tons of barbeque options outside the park.Both excellent choices for barbecue, although as far as side dishes go, I think the Wood Ranch mac and cheese is far better than Lucille's.

The barbecue options at River Belle are pretty much the same as they were at Rancho and they're not bad, but Big Thunder Ranch was so much better.