PDA

View Full Version : Standard View Or Resort View

Devilwife
08-02-2006, 10:00 AM
My husband and I are going to be staying at the DH for the first time this year. We stayed some little hotel 6 years ago that was far from the park and just one of those hotels that I wouldn't stay at again. Our trip is planned for Novemeber. Hopefully the weather will turn out nice :)
I booked out trip through Costco.com and found that for $190 more we could get the Resort View vs. the Standard View Room. Is it really worth it?

With being our first time at the DH I would think doing it up right is worth it. My friend highly recommends the Sierra Tower Facing DTD on the 4th or 5th floor. Which I believe is considered the Resort View from what the hotel told me. Anyone that might know about this and have an opinion please share....

(95 Days!):D

babytmakes5
08-02-2006, 10:24 AM
We stayed at the DLH two years ago and were so very excited because we splurged and paid for the "resort view." Our booking agent with WDW told us we would be in the Sierra Tower and we'd have a great view of the fireworks--what could be better! When we checked in, however, we were informed that there were no resort view rooms left, so we were stuck with whatever room they had left--none of which were even in the Sierra Tower. We were so disappointed, especially when we saw that we had a parking lot view from the Bonita Tower! It was not the best way to start a magical $$$ vacation. The DLH CM's were far from apologetic and basically said resort views are "first come, first serve" no matter what rate you pay. We eventually made a loud enough fuss at the front desk to fanagle a view of the ponds and dancing water show, so that was better, but not what I'd call a "resort view." I'm not sure if the service (or lack thereof) we received was typical, but if you do pay the extra $$$ for the resort view, my advice would be to make sure you can check in early in the day. Good luck and have a great trip! We're going in November too--let's pray for nice weather :)

disney jones
08-02-2006, 10:34 PM
the Sierra Tower is a great choice still.

you'll either get a Neverland pool view, or a DTD view, plus its going to be the shortest walk to the park too.

Rhiannon8404
08-03-2006, 06:45 AM
We never book a resort view. We always book the cheapest room at whatever hotel we're staying at. Nearly every time we get a resort view, even though we never asked for one or even mentioned it. We check in really early. We drive down from Sacramento, leaving at 4am. We get to DLR around 10am and check in, leaving our bags with bell service. We go to the park and are generally able to be in our rooms by 2 or so.

I think we get the resort view rooms because we check in so darned early. Mostly, after the first night, the view is wasted on us. I can think of a lot of other things I'd do with $190, than try to garuntee a resort view.

dlandnut
08-03-2006, 07:22 AM
Push for the Sierra Tower, more than the "view". I've stayed on both "sides" of the Sierra Tower, and as mentioned before, one is a view of the resort, one of DTD. Either is just fine.

:)

splash
08-03-2006, 07:39 AM
We did standard view at the DH and I actually liked it better than the downtown disney view. We could see the pool and we were in the Sierra tower. We checked in around 1:00 - they don't give you rooms until around 3:00 so we left bags with bell services and went to eat. We didn't ask for a downtown disney view, maybe next time I will ask and see if they put us there.

annieb727
08-03-2006, 07:45 AM
I would think if you PAY for a VIEW room, you should GET a view room. I would put up such a stink about it, they'd FIND a view room just to get me to shut up!!! I have reservations for September (YAY - I can say "next month" now) and I have DTD or Pool view. They didn't have any "standard" rooms to offer me. So I am paying the higher price...and you can certainly bet...I'm GOING TO GET a room with a VIEW.

backsthepack
08-03-2006, 08:10 AM
We always book the standard view but every time end up with a resort/park view. Not sure why, but we always get upgraded free of charge! Truly though, why do you really need the view? Most don't spend that much time in their rooms anyway.

The old man
08-03-2006, 10:57 AM
We had a view of DTD. When we returned in the afternoon for a break there was an unbelievably loud band playing in the plaza. We could hear it clearly up in our room. Very annoying.

BTW--lay off the faint font.