PDA

View Full Version : Oddball Favorites

Jewel of Orleans
08-02-2006, 09:13 AM
Although I personally couldn't stand the feeling of it for the second or two that I tried it, my older son has always LOVED the "Electricity is Life" machine in the Penny Arcade. This is a contraption where you pay your money, hold on to the handles, and then stand there getting jolted with electricity. Some attraction, huh? Yet this thing has remained one of the true highlights of a visit to Disneyland for him.

It makes me wonder if anybody else has some oddball, hidden favorite in the park, something that wouldn't even appear on the map or the list of attractions, that just means DISNEYLAND to them as much as Flying Dumbos and the Sleeping Beauty Castle.

mulansgirl
08-02-2006, 09:22 AM
I don't know if it counts but there are certain Cast Members we look for we hit those "regular" spots before we do anything else in Disneyland. I look forward to seeing them everytime if they are busy I try to wave or if they are really busy I just come back later to see how they have been. We had an hour long conversation with one guy after he got off shift, great fellow, I always look forward to saying hi to him.
It used to be Esmerelda. I would not leave the park with out my fortune, before that it was one shop where they sold paper dolls I got a new paper doll book every time I went I had quite the collection to play with. Disneyland changes as I grow. Each special trip my husband and I get one of the personalized coins from the candy shop 1st anaversary, birthday, stuff like that.

hg0079
08-02-2006, 10:06 AM
We all go on Snow White and mess with my older brother when the evil witch turns around as he cried as a "big kid" on this ride and we don't let him live it down. So we stand in line (with or with out kids) just to be able to tease him on the ride.

Welovewoody
08-02-2006, 11:22 AM
=. This is a contraption where you pay your money, hold on to the handles, and then stand there getting jolted with electricity. Some attraction, huh?
Well maybe your son will be a Electrican....lol....

Jewel of Orleans
08-02-2006, 11:39 AM
My son became a locksmith, but he does have the inexplicable power to handle lock-outs by merely pointing a finger and zapping the offending lock with an electrical charge which he seems to have picked up somewhere, somehow...;)

Speaking of Esmeralda, another big hit with my sons was always "Fortune Red" in the Pieces of Eight shop. The predictions he dispensed were written in crusty ole sea-salt language, warning them to "beware of lubbers and their press-gang ways" and that kind of thing. Half the fun was trying to interpret what the HECK it was supposed to mean!

PKile
08-02-2006, 11:48 AM
It's funny, but when I was a kid and went to Disneyland in the late 50s and early 60s, the thing that impressed me the most were the cool trash cans.

I grew up in New York where the trash cans in public places were usually kicked in, overflowing, stinky, and covered with flies in the summer. I heard once that Walt Disney designed the Disneyland cans to avoid those problems.

Now I have been eyeing Ebay where occasionally a Disney trash can comes up for sale. Haven't sprung for one yet because they are usually the ugly Frontierland ones that look like a tree trunk. But if I could find a cool Tomorrowland one or the traditional white with salmon trim and the Disneyland logo on the side, it would be sitting in my garage tomorrow!

Cheers,
Paul Kile

Spazz
08-02-2006, 12:42 PM
Our favorite oddball attraction is the Alladin's Fortune Telling Lamp in the Adventureland Bazaar store. For $.50 it tells you your fortune. I have to do it everytime.

I Heart Disneyland!
08-02-2006, 12:45 PM
My daughter and I ALWAYS have to get our fortune from Esmerelda. I know a lot of people probably do this, but, even if I go without her...I buy one for me, and one for her. And, give her the one I specifically got for her fortune. :geek: :geek: In fact, I have my last one sitting here under my computer screen. I think I need professional help! ha!