PDA

View Full Version : Bike instead of drive... good idea or impractical?

hickorydickory
08-02-2006, 07:56 AM
We are planning a trip to DL and we where mulling over the idea of using bikes as transport from the hotel to the park. We thought it would be faster than walking/or driving & parking or the shuttles. Is there a spot close to the front gates to lock up a bike? Do we ride on the streets there or the sidewalks? Is this idea totally rediculous? We are in good shape and the physical part is fine, we are just not sure about the practicality.

Oh and is there a spell check on this? My spelling is atrocious

The old man
08-02-2006, 08:39 AM
You didn't say which hotel you're staying at so we know the distance.

hickorydickory
08-02-2006, 08:53 AM
You didn't say which hotel you're staying at so we know the distance.

Thats because we don't know yet. If it feasable to ride in (with a 3 year old in a carrier) we will factor that option into the hotel decision. I am at this point just weighing our options.

I have no problem with biking a distance of 5 miles or so each way.

MammaSilva
08-02-2006, 09:06 AM
I'm not sure there is a place to secure the bikes at the resort...I don't remember seeing bike racks anyplace. You might call the resort and ask guest services. The other issue is that it's completely city traffic no bike lanes on Harbor or Katella ... even for folks who bike all the time I wouldn't see it as being a good alternative to be biking down those roads in the dark late in the evening.

Osky
08-02-2006, 09:07 AM
Do we ride on the streets there or the sidewalks?
Most areas in California have ordinances that forbid riding on the sidewalks. With the large amount of pedestrians using the sidewalks around the resort area, riding on the sidewalks would be a very bad idea, even if it is not against the law. There used to be bike racks in DTD near the ESPN zone, I would assume that they are still there. They were near the valet parking area for DTD. IIRC, Disney forbids cycling on their property, so you would have to walk your bike once you left the city streets.

Tinkermommy
08-02-2006, 09:16 AM
I think it's admirable that you're even considering it, and wish more of us would. (Said the woman who doesn't even own a bike.)

That said, I would discourage you from riding bikes to the resort simply based upon the way people drive around Disneyland. There is a lot of car, bus and pedestrian traffic, people are always in a hurry, and there is not a lot of extra "space" in the roadways. Add to that the fact that MANY of the drivers are tourists, who miss their turns, make last-minute, desperate lane changes -- well you get the picture -- in my humble opinion, it would be more risk than it's worth.

hickorydickory
08-02-2006, 10:00 AM
Thanks, that's what I needed to know.

Sounds like it will be a bad idea. I thought there must be some provisions for bikers such as bike lanes & bike racks and that I probably did not notice them last time. I am astounded that with all the polution and traffic congestion that the city does not make this a viable option. I find in many urban places it's faster to ride than drive and park, not to mention the whole eco thing and exercise bonus.

PragmaticIdealist
08-02-2006, 10:45 AM
You can avoid the major streets if you need to do so. Ball Road, Disney Way, and Imagination Way come to my mind as good alternative roadways providing access to Disneyland.

Also, if you walk your bicycles using the crosswalks through the intersections, you should be able to stay reasonably safe.

Disney employees sometimes bike from the train station in Anaheim.